Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2011, 06:57   #31

Boat: Condor 37
Re: New Anchor - Manson Boss

I watched both anchor,seemed pretty textbook techniques to me but what do I know, only probably anchored 1,500 times and still learning. AND I do know that just one incidence does not necessarily mean that this is the norm, however with all the hysteria over Rocna and the metal controversy I thought it noteworthy to report a real life happening, as opposed to a lot of the half baked comments appearing on the blog.
Old 22-11-2011, 07:17   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

I think I will wait for the version that has somewhere to attach the Anchor Chain
Old 22-11-2011, 07:48   #33

Boat: Condor 37

All this hoopla about a new anchor made with so called 800 Mpa steel and what do I see? Something with a much compromised shaft with a wacking big chain slot and if you look carefully, near the blade is another big hole. I guess this is to let in the 800 Mpa air. Seems like a case of one step forward and two steps back. Give me something solid.
Old 22-11-2011, 07:56   #34

Boat: Tartan 30

I hope this means there'll finally be a few manson supremes in the used market now.
Old 22-11-2011, 09:31   #35

Boat: csy 37

i'm with lwatson (#33). don't get me wrong. i bought a 45lb supreme two years ago and i LOVE it. best anchor i've owned in 35 years of sailing. i also don't believe the roll bar does anything - i've thought of just cutting it off myself.

but the new one has a big hold in the shank where it meets the blade - meaning the weld is shorter. and i don't like the new shank slot either. don't like the old shank slot but the new one seems to be even worse.

maybe we can collectively convince manson to build the old supreme with a solid shank and a single hole for the shackle, and maybe a small hole near the front of the shank to attach a trip line shackle....
Old 22-11-2011, 09:54   #36

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: New Anchor -- Manson Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
From the photo it does not look like there is an option to bypass the slot like on the Manson Supreme. Lets hope that this is not the case, at least on the larger models, otherwise it is not usable IMHO for overnight, or unattended anchoring.

That was my first observation too. I love my Supreme.
Old 22-11-2011, 09:55   #37

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I think I will wait for the version that has somewhere to attach the Anchor Chain

Just to be clear, DOJ and several others, there is a "patented" device missing from the picture. The "Preventa" that locks into the slot to create a proper enclosed hole for the chain.

The text I read (link in post #11) said this was to eliminate the need to move the shackle back and forth between the hole and the slot as on the Supreme.

Probably need to buy an extra as it may be easily misplaced.
Old 22-11-2011, 10:01   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Just to be clear, DOJ, there is a "patented" device missing from the picture. The "Preventa" that locks into the slot by hand to created a proper enclosed hole for the chain.

The text I read said this was to eliminate the need to move the shackle back and forth between the hole and the slot as on the Supreme.

Probably need to buy an extra as it may be easily misplaced.
The self assembly approach
Old 22-11-2011, 10:06   #39
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I hope this means there'll finally be a few manson supremes in the used market now.
Are you Crazy !
Old 22-11-2011, 10:18   #40

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Mine might be on the market someday . . . but it will come with a boat.
Old 22-11-2011, 10:20   #41

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The self assembly approach

Yessir, I'd probably loose the bits 'n pieces before I made it to the boat.
Old 22-11-2011, 11:22   #42

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

but the new one has a big hold in the shank where it meets the blade - meaning the weld is shorter.
If you look closely at the photo you will see that the hole is above the weld so the weld is actually the full length and not two short welds.

The below is an extract from the Sail-World report and exxplains the reason for the hole in the shank.

The unique FEA designed hole in the shank for weight savings also doubles as a retrieval hole for attaching a second anchor to operate in tandem or buoyed retrieval line.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 23-11-2011, 22:28   #43

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWatson View Post
All this hoopla about a new anchor made with so called 800 Mpa steel and what do I see? Something with a much compromised shaft with a wacking big chain slot and if you look carefully, near the blade is another big hole. I guess this is to let in the 800 Mpa air. Seems like a case of one step forward and two steps back. Give me something solid.
A few people have commented on this and I find it odd. As an aerospace engineer, I'm quite used to seeing great big holes in things. It's a good thing!! It makes things lighter without significantly affecting the strength. In this case, it allows the weight distribution to be engineered, placing weight where you want it to aid in setting, and allowing more blade area for a given weight, which means more holding power for a given weight, without compromising strength.

Somebody is actually innovating and using modern engineering tools (they note that they used Finite Element Analysis on the shank in their press release), and people are actually complaining about it.
Old 23-11-2011, 22:36   #44

Boat: Niagara 35

I sent an email to Ned, their VP of Sales and Marketing and got an email back within 24 hours. I don't have his permission to post it, so I'll just paraphrase.

1. I asked for more information about holding tests and he said that he preferred to wait until the product launch when independent tests were available before commenting. He stated that independent tests were far more valuable than a manufacturer's claims. I respect that.
2. I asked when I could buy one and he said that they would be launching in early next year but I might have to wait until spring to get one in Canada. I didn't like that answer very much. I want it to be available (and independently tested) now!

With my bowsprit arrangement, the hoop doesn't work that well, and with my recent experience dragging a CQR with 8:1 scope in good holding ground and moderate winds (after a wind shift), I really don't want to wait on this thing. Winter sailing around the PNW can involve some serious wind.
Old 23-11-2011, 23:12   #45
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

just wondering what additional anchor I would need for the lagoon 380 38' cat i will be picking up soon. I will be cruising from france to australia via the med, Atlantic, Caribbean, pacific. It comes with
ANCHOR SET-UP (20kg (delta?)anchor, 75m chain D10, 20m warp D18)
What is the minimum additional I will need
Anchor
chain
warp
Thanks Monte
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor