Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2015, 14:07   #31

Boat: Swan 48
Re: New anchor chain. HELP!!

Stailess is tricky, you could have a fault on the inside (not noticeable on the outside of link) and never know - until that link breaks - then it's too late. A good top quality galvanized chain is the norm. Spend your money elsewhere.
scottmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 17:38   #32

Boat: Cal-40
Re: New anchor chain. HELP!!

Although stainless steel indeed has a much higher working load limit then G-40 chain there would be the issues of corrosion. Stainless is wonderful stuff but when used below the waterline it must be bonded or protected with zinc. Micro fractures can form and the chain although looking like new might fail. But galvanized steel gives warning or corrosion with rust. On my 40ft boat I use Acco 3/8 HT G-40 chain. The anchor is a Spade S120, 25KG in weight. I believe the anchor would drag before the chain parts.
I like your thinking in terms of good anchor gear, but stainless chain is expensive and its hard to know when its at its life's end (all things wear out). Stainless becomes brittle and just fails under high shock/loads. Loosing your anchor in foul weather might bring lots of troubles.
Not all chains are equal as well. The cheap China chain ? I think the better American made Acco chain is the way to go. The galvanization is second to none and the steel if a true test.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor