Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 13:05   #16

Re: Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

Is this too close? We had the passerelle down so the boys could walk the plank, and on one swing I could have stepped straight off it onto their bow.

terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 13:16   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

First, we are social animals and tend to cluster together. Know from our cruising days there was a strong inclination to anchor in the same location where another boat had dropped their hook. Found myself consciously avoiding anchorages after awhile so as not to have issues with crossed rodes and swinging room.

Biggest problem I had was the Copra freighter in the Marquesas. Twice we were the only boat in an anchorage when the Copra Boat came in dropped their anchor on top of ours. It got our attention when we'd suddenly headed out to sea at 10 knots. Felt they'd taken an untoward interest in us once dragging us completely out of the anchorage forcing us to haul in the anchor and power back into shallow water. Really a pain as it's no fun cranking in a 125' of 3/8" chain and anchor with a manual windlass.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 13:18   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@bemao,

Thanks for asking.

The total depth you have to work with is the distance from your bow to the water plus the water to the depth transducer, and from it to the holding ground. Some people here will disagree with me about this, but most of the time, in mild weather, anchoring with a "new generation" anchor, with all chain rode, a scope of 3:1 will do you. You need to allow a slightlly bigger circle for yourself, as you may want to put out more rode. If you're on a combination, a boatlength of chain, and all the rest rode, you need a minimum of 4 or 5: 1.

You want to wind up at least one boat length away from who you're anchoring next to, whichever is the larger. Bottoms vary, some anchorages will have good stiff mud, and loose mud, and you will find yourself dragging in the latter. You want to set the anchor, and if it drags, pick it up, move over a bit, and try again.

There's a member here, thinwater, who can tell you lots more, and with data to back it up, and I'll add one important thing: the strength of wind goes up geometrically, so you can wind up needing more chain out than the meager 3:1 I suggested to begin. In really strong winds, we have had out 6:1 in order to hold.

Ann
Old 08-08-2018, 13:22   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Now and then I entertain the anchored crowd by going on deck and throwing a fortress as far as I can. First time I did it a dozen of my fellow sailors nearly wet themselves in laughter.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 13:25   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 41

I sat in the cockpit today as boats dragged their anchor on by me, ( the same boats I had got in my dink to help a few days earlier, in storm force 15kts winds!! While their owners were ashore),and pondered on whether i have become less tolerant and a bit of an old miserable git, or sailors today have lost the plot. Then I watched as a boat dragged for 1/4 mile or so with the owner sitting in the cockpit, until he inevitably hit the beach at high tide! He now lies on his side high and dry, next high tide is at 1am. I then decided that i am indeed a miserable old git AND August is the silly season, and as if to prove me right the boat on the beach has just switched on his anchor light! Harbour TV rules!
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 13:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemao View Post

What is the proper etiquette? How do I know how much room to leave between me and other boats around? I understand that an anchored boat can potentially occupy any space within the circle centered at its anchor whose radius is determined by the amount of scope, however is it practical/possible that all boats at anchor occupy non-overlapping circles?

When the overlap looks fine in one direction but is ridiculously close when boats swing 180 degrees. Ideally, there is relatively the same distance between boats regardless of which direction the boats swing.

They can overlap. Ever try to haul your anchor when there is another boat floating over the top of your anchor or rode? It's a PITA when I have to re-launch the dinghy to use it to play 'tugboat' to push the oblivious neighbor out of the way so I can retrieve the anchor. At which point, now one of us is in the dinghy, the other is in the big boat and both of us are underway in the anchorage. Not impossible, but certainly inconvenient.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 13:40   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

The truth be told, in the past 23 months of full time cruising I've only seen one boat have an issue with anchoring. And once I called him and pointed out the difference between what he was used to compared to the conditions he was trying to anchor in he got it next try.

In this I don't count the day motor boat guys who come in, do weird things, and leave in the evening.
Old 08-08-2018, 13:49   #23

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It just happens. People misjudge crowded anchorages.

I even had the professional crew running a huge Gunboat called Icon of Hamble set anchor over mine. They had to power the boat forward to allow me to pull my anchor up.

It's important to have a good attitude in crowded anchorages. As long as the boats don't touch, it's all ok.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 13:55   #24

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The ideal cruising is where Mike is located in Newfoundland. It is remote, beautiful and uncrowded--a very unusual combination today. However, most boaters must accept sailing/anchoring in crowded areas and this is where knowledge and courtesy are essential. When Paul mentioned the boat with two hooks down that became very agitated when he decided to anchor in the vicinity, he made the proper move and anchored elsewhere. Perhaps this man had spent the last few days wrangling with "sailing goons" and assumed that Paul was another on the way. How confrontational do you want to be when cruising? Are you prepared for a verbal/physical confrontation? Is this our reason for cruising? However, if dangerous weather were on the way and this was the safest anchorage in the area, I would definitely stand my ground and drop the hook. . . let the cards fall where they may. This all sounds rather strange and is the reason for the last 30 years we have always sought those remote places when most cruisers wrangled in those popular anchorages reminiscent of Barnum and Bailey. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 08-08-2018, 14:24   #25

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It just happens. People misjudge crowded anchorages.

I even had the professional crew running a huge Gunboat called Icon of Hamble set anchor over mine. They had to power the boat forward to allow me to pull my anchor up.

It's important to have a good attitude in crowded anchorages. As long as the boats don't touch, it's all ok.
No it’s not ok. Inept anchoring can tear up anchored boats.

Things rarely just happen. The rest is negligence.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 14:26   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Very true rognvald. There's lots of open water up here. Come on up [emoji6].

But you're right, of course. Not everyone has the option to go to truly remote areas. Anchoring in watery parking lots is necessary at times.

When I have to anchor in a busy spot I try and balance two notions. The first is to maintain privacy and as much space as possible between me and already-present boats. But the other consideration is to maximize the available space for other boaters who will likely arrive after me. This second consideration could explain why some people might choose to anchor close to someone already present.

I've never yet grouched at another boat whom I think is anchoring inappropriately. If I am around when a boat anchors nearby I try and be available in the cockpit should the new boat want info from me. And I usually ask anchored boaters about their anchor as I'm sussing out a tight anchorage.
Old 08-08-2018, 14:46   #27

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

My plan is to get an above deck loudspeaker and the most obnoxious rap music I can find and start blaring as soon as I see a boat coming to the anchorage.
Old 08-08-2018, 15:00   #28

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
My plan is to get an above deck loudspeaker and the most obnoxious rap music I can find and start blaring as soon as I see a boat coming to the anchorage.
That doesn't work in Miami!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 15:00   #29
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
It seems nothing has changed in the last 30 plus years.
What would make you think this situation would get better. Personally I would guarantee it will continue to get worse.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 15:14   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
Are you Cuban or .......

Tags
anchor, rope, sail