Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 23:50   #1

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.
Mooring diagrams

Greetings,

Does anyone know of a website which gives a good explanation of how to moor your boat at right angles to a jetty or pier?

When I get my 20' boat back into the water after restoration is complete it will be moored in a berth which lies 90 degrees to the jetty.

The boat's bow will be facing the jetty and the height of the jetty will be about 6 or 7 feet above the boat's deck at low tide. There are mooring rings on the jetty and also a large timber pylon at each corner of the stern to tie mooring lines to.

I would like to find some detailed instructions on how to secure my boat in this situation.

Thanks,
bony.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:44   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Mooring diagrams

I suggest a few searches on youtube for mediterranean mooring, however I dont believe the med has the same tidal range. But it may give you some hints
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29   #3

Thanks Oz,
I've been googling for answers with not much success. I'll give youtube a try.

Thanks,
bony
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45   #4

The tide in the Med is very small, almost negligible so there wouldn't be anything there. Search around the Solent as they have plenty tide.
Swede57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Also worth search the Dutch / German system of using a box mooring. This is a mooring with 4 poles stuck in the middle of nowhere and you tie up a boat corner to the nearest pole. Well you have half a box mooring.

http://www.kangaloosh.com/log141Muiden.htm

You need to plan some sort of ladder or gang plank to get on board at low tide too.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Greetings,

Does anyone know of a website which gives a good explanation of how to moor your boat at right angles to a jetty or pier?

When I get my 20' boat back into the water after restoration is complete it will be moored in a berth which lies 90 degrees to the jetty.

The boat's bow will be facing the jetty and the height of the jetty will be about 6 or 7 feet above the boat's deck at low tide. There are mooring rings on the jetty and also a large timber pylon at each corner of the stern to tie mooring lines to.

I would like to find some detailed instructions on how to secure my boat in this situation.

Thanks,
bony.
What is the tidal range where you will dock? If the range is great (4-12+ feet) you might want to use a pully and weights on each corner attachment line. If range is under 4 feet and your slip has plenty of extra space, you might be able to use fixed attachments and allow for the tidal range with slack lines.

Have you looked at how other boats in the same facility are secured?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49   #7

Hi Swede57,

The tidal range at my location has an average of about 8' or 2.4 metres. Most of the boats there seem to allow a fair bit of slack although there are some fairly haphazard setups. I'll have a talk to a some boaties down there to see if I can get a few pointers.

Thanks,
bony.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:59   #8

Thanks Pete and SFT,

There are ladders at each pen on the jetty I'll be using so that's no problem. The tidal range here is about 8' at this time of year. All of the boats here are moored bow in to the jetties and none use an anchor like the mediterranean style.

Thanks for the help,
bony.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Hi Swede57,

The tidal range at my location has an average of about 8' or 2.4 metres. Most of the boats there seem to allow a fair bit of slack although there are some fairly haphazard setups. I'll have a talk to a some boaties down there to see if I can get a few pointers.

Thanks,
bony.
With the range you mentioned I would use blocks and weights. Affix a block to each corner tie-point, and run 10mm nylon line through. Each corner line should be long enough to reach from the opposite side of your boat to the block, plus enough length to accomodate the maximum tide range plus knots at each end. Attach 10-15 kilos weight to each, and tie all corners to a central line that is longer than the length of your boat. The central line will be your grab-line when you enter the slip, and you will use it to bring each corner line to a cleat on your boat. it will lie along the deck slack when your boat is tied in it's slip.
This will keep your boat centered in it's slip, and allow easy tie up when you enter.
This is the way they do it at the small boat docks in my harbor. If you need further clarification let me know. I might be able to take a picture later.

PS - you might need more weight if you have high winds. The people around here use scrap metal and discarded dumbbell weights.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Use long spring lines. Lead lines from the stern all the way to the sea wall, and lines from the bows to the pilings astern. You might need to fiddle with them during a whole tide cycle to make sure there's enough slack for high and low without being too slack at half tide. I tied my boat like this for Hurricane surge and it was fine, but I had a wide slip to play with. Hate to do it in a skinny slip....
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 15:08   #11

Another option (instead of weights) for the piling end is to use rotating hard floats with a line run through to encircle the post. Attach your outer corner lines to the floating "necklace".

Also if you use the other idea above: If you have a mast you will need to make at least one of the outer corner lines detachable with a snap hook, so your mast can come by it.
Old 16-06-2012, 07:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Another option (instead of weights) for the piling end is to use rotating hard floats with a line run through to encircle the post. Attach your outer corner lines to the floating "necklace".

Also if you use the other idea above: If you have a mast you will need to make at least one of the outer corner lines detachable with a snap hook, so your mast can come by it.
Thanks for that good advice SailFastTri, I'll try it out when I get my boat back in the water.

Cheers,
bony

Tags
mooring