Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2018, 08:55   #16

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Maggi Chains vs ACCO Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avionics_Joe View Post
We went to Maggie chain yesterday, we got 250 feet of 3/8 G4. Preston said they are not selling the 70 until the Italians figure out how to make the galvanizing last.

The service we got was excellent, highly recommended Maggie chain!

Joe
Who did you go through for the chain?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:49   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Maggi G7 chain rusts quite rapidly.

I think most of this is because people downsize the chain size (which is the whole purpose of G7). The thinner chain moves around on the seabed more and the thinner wire size gives a smaller bearing surface between the links. Both of these factors increase abrasion.

Most users report the Maggi G4 chain has a good life, but there are some occasional reports of a relatively poor durability. It is not clear why there is this variability, but it suggests the Italian quality control may be a little hit and miss. I don’t think this explains the short life of the G7, as everyone that I have met with G7 chain has reported a much shorter life than G4 chain.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:53   #18

Boat: Formosa 41

Is there a significant price difference between Maggi and Acco?

I will be looking at 275’ of 5/16” G4.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:25   #19

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Is there a significant price difference between Maggi and Acco?

I will be looking at 275’ of 5/16” G4.
For Maggi 3/8" g40 is $4.25/ft from Maggi USA in FL. ACCO is $4.45/ft from Defender. You can get a half drum(200') from Defender for $780 or $3.90/ft.

So the ACCO is cheaper from Defender for my length, but if the quality is better for Maggi I'd rather go with that. You're talking a price difference of about $100.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:46   #20

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Who did you go through for the chain?
We went directly to Maggie chain in Dania beach Fl ( Fort Lauderdale area)

954-529-9067
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:51   #21

Boat: Seafarer36c

I ordered 250' 5/16" G4 Maggi chain from the dealer in Florida, shipped it to Guatemala at great cost and ended up with about 200' instead. What are you going to do? The shipping was crazy $$ and slow.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:57   #22

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Why would a re-galvanizer care if it was G43 or G70?
I understand that due to the heat treat, there may be a slight loss of strength on the G70, but not real significant.
Regalvanizing generally does not affect the material strength of the underlying chain. But the chain may have latent defects from use including yielding, corrosion and wear. Regalvanizing will not improve these issues.

However the preparatory processes can impact both the resulting regalv performance and in higher strength steels can impact hydrogen embrittlement.

In some cases the above effects can improve the regalv performance over the original galv performance.

Of course your actual reaults will be dependent on who does your galvanizing. It pays to talk to them and listen for their specific recommendations.

Here's a useful summary for this discussion. https://galvanizeit.org/education-an...-regalvanizing
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 13:23   #23

Boat: Catalac 12 M

I also got my Maggi chain in Ft Lauderdale 3 years ago. Yes it is darker but no rust and we anchor out 95% of the year.
DrDelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 17:04   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

For what it is worth, I bought ACCO 3/8 G40 in 2004. By 2010 it really needed re-galvanizing. I found a place near Richmond, Virginia. That galvanizing has lasted beautifully, much better than the original.

In Irma, that chain stretched a little. Does anyone have any idea whether this will have weakened it significantly?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 18:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
For what it is worth, I bought ACCO 3/8 G40 in 2004. By 2010 it really needed re-galvanizing. I found a place near Richmond, Virginia. That galvanizing has lasted beautifully, much better than the original.

In Irma, that chain stretched a little. Does anyone have any idea whether this will have weakened it significantly?
You could probably ask ACCO what the limits are for stretch in their chain. It may be a percentage or a number.
Old 21-11-2018, 18:44   #26

Boat: Nordic 44

Find your local industrial chain dealer. Their price will be far less than any yacht chandler, including Defender. Downside is that you will probably have to buy barrel or half barrel quantities.

The way I found dealers was to go to the chain manufacturers website - they should have a find a dealer page.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 19:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Find your local industrial chain dealer. Their price will be far less than any yacht chandler, including Defender. Downside is that you will probably have to buy barrel or half barrel quantities.

The way I found dealers was to go to the chain manufacturers website - they should have a find a dealer page.
My local chain supplier doesn't sell g40 anchor chain. They sell industrial chain for lifting and securing which doesn't have the same length links. I wish they did supply it, trust me. It's going to be $170 for shipping either brand I go with
Old 21-11-2018, 20:03   #28

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
My local chain supplier doesn't sell g40 anchor chain. They sell industrial chain for lifting and securing which doesn't have the same length links. I wish they did supply it, trust me. It's going to be $170 for shipping either brand I go with
I have bought chain twice this way, Once in Chicago and once in Annapolis. Shop around. Find a dealer in your area. They can ship it to you or you can pick it up. If they are a Peerless chain dealer they should be able to order it for you in whole or half barrel quantities. For 5/16 G40 that's 550 or 275 feet, for 3/8 that's 400 or 200 feet.

The savings are dramatic and the legwork is worth it.

Granted, that was many years ago and it was Acco at the time but it is worth a try.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 13:13   #29

Boat: Cal-40

I opted for the G-4 3/8 acco for my Cal-40. It’s a few years old now and I’m not the kind of boater who likes to spend his time in the Marina so often I’m found on the hook. At this time the galvanizing has held up great. No rust bleeding or signs of electrolysis eating away the finish. This is year three on the chain.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 11:56   #30

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

3rd year Maggi g7 rusting badly, I hear the G4 is better but I’m in St Thomas and will probably have to get ACCO which ain’t as good as it used to be!
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote