Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2016, 07:37   #1

Boat: Santana 37
Looking for new anchor chain

I'm installing a electric windlass on my Santana 37 and am going to have to replace my current proof coil chain with G4

I'm looking for the best prices on ACCO 5/16 G4 chain and would like any assistance the forum members can provide as to what company sells it for the least cost per foot.

I've seen prices ranging from $2.76 to $5.10, but I hope I can find something lower.
sailscubasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:00   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Looking for new anchor chain

Hi, Acco is generally regarded as decent chain. Though several forumites have espoused Maggi as being better. Particularly as there have been some notable instances of severe & rapid corrosion that some folks experienced with their purchases of the former.

But... at $2.76/ft, you're doing damned well on price, & personally, I'd snag a barrel at that cost. Particularly after haggling for a proof certificate on it.
Put half on your primary, & stash most of the rest of it in your bilge, after using a few bits for your #2, & #3 rodes.

That said, BTW, I'd Luv to know the source at that price; posted here in this thread, or via PM. If you'd be so kind.

Ah, & nice choice of boat's, BTW. Where'd you find her? And a tip on outfitting her, you might consider 1/4" G43 chain. It's what the Dashew's helped their daughter outfit her Santana 37' with. Which she & her partner then sailed all over the Pacific with it.
Ergo, such chain is likely up for the task, & is a bit cheaper, plus much lighter. And extra weight in the bow sucks!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:13   #3

Whatever happened to Campbell Chain? US made chain used by commercial fishermen and enterprise. http://www.campbellchainandfittings.com/campbell_marine

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:55   #4

Defender:

275 feet @ $759.99

I will look at the 1/4 inch. If it's good enough for Steve Dashew, it's good enough for me.

The only issue I have is I'm looking at the Maxwell RC series and the 8-6 series only has 770lbs of pull (uses 1/4 inch) whereas the 8-8 has 1400lbs of pull, but uses the 5/16.

Does anyone know if I can get a 1/4 gypsy for the 8-8?
Old 27-04-2016, 21:04   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'd say to call Maxwell regarding the gypsy question on that windlass. Though you could instead, step up to say a VW 1000. Using some of the $ savings via the lesser chain costs.
Also, this windlass has available gypsys for both chain sizes. Plus, it can handle 2 rodes at once.

And given it's configuration/design. It doesn't have to be mounted directly in the chain locker. Thus, all of it's electrical workings stay out of the salt laden air, & the ocassional submersing. As per this post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2023658

IE. Build a setup something like this, but without the added complexity of the whole 2nd locker bit, drain pump, etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 07:52   #6

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I can attest to the lousy galvanizing on Acco, which I paid dearly to get. My chain has had extremely light use since I installed it in January 2013 - perhaps a maximum of 6 months in the water - but the 100' I use all the time is entirely free of any galvanizing, and rusts horribly, fouling the windlass with flakes, and the deck with that and stains.

That can't possibly be right.

Mine is 5/16 G4; when I ditch this horrible piece of crap, what should I go back with - likely being near Vero Beach FL?

Alternatively, are there viable regalvanizers for a half-barrel of the stuff, perhaps with a 55# delta thrown in, in the Vero Beach area? I could plan that exercise for a time when I knew I was going to be on the ball in Vero (don't get me started on 'why' and 'how long' the boat's been/will be there) for a while. They couldn't possibly do a worse job than what I have...

Thanks.

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 08:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Whatever happened to Campbell Chain? US made chain used by commercial fishermen and enterprise. http://www.campbellchainandfittings.com/campbell_marine
I have not been in the chain market for quite some time, so may be mistaken in my memory, but i think I recall that industrial chain doesn't fit marine chain windlasses.

OTOH, I also think I have a faint memory of someone saying to ask for some commercial designation of 5/16" chain which matched the Acco/marine sizes (so it would work in the gypsies).

Help?

L8R

Skip
Old 28-04-2016, 11:38   #8

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailscubasurf View Post
I'm installing a electric windlass on my Santana 37 and am going to have to replace my current proof coil chain with G4

I'm looking for the best prices on ACCO 5/16 G4 chain and would like any assistance the forum members can provide as to what company sells it for the least cost per foot.

I've seen prices ranging from $2.76 to $5.10, but I hope I can find something lower.
When we went through this exercise in 2014 as we were passing through WA state. At that time, Fisheries Supply had the best pricing on genuine ACCO G4 chain. [Even after a nationwide search, which included shipping, and a search of west coast Canadian suppliers.]

We were in Anacortes at the time, and Fisheries was a 3 hour round trip by car (which we didn't have...) and delivery was 2 weeks out...

The local West Marine store had it in stock, but their pricing was not competitive. I approached the store manager about a full barrel [550ft; 605 lbs of 5/15 G4], and they agreed to match Fisheries' price. I wheeled the barrel 4 blocks to the boat [at high tide...] using the chain dolly WM loaned me...

Being an Alaska resident, we didn't have to pay sales tax, so having something shipped from out of state was not a factor, but may affect the price for some...

The lesson learned is it is worth investigating locally, but you have to speak with the right people...

Quote:
Notes from personal experience about acquiring anchor chain:
  • There are many reputable chain manufacturers, and many of the other type... Choose wisely, and most importantly, make sure it fits your windlass...
  • ACCO [and perhaps others?] stamps every link with a G4. This is a quick check for authenticity... Many brands stamp every 4th link or so...
  • In the 2 years since we bought this chain, and 400+ overnights at anchor [averaging 60+ feet of depth i.e., most of the 360ft of main bower chain is submerged most times...] we have seen no rust appear anywhere...
  • We rinse our chain with raw water as it is retrieved each time. [It is stowed with no mud clinging to the chain...]
  • We freshwater rinse our chain every time after it is piled into the chain locker.
  • Don't buy HT [G4 or G7] chain unless they can provide a copy of the Proof Certificate from the manufacturer. [One comes with the chain from reputable manufacturers... (One was on top of our barrel of chain...) It is the validation of the results of tensile testing of the length of chain you purchased.]
Best wishes with your project.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 28-04-2016, 11:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I have not been in the chain market for quite some time, so may be mistaken in my memory, but i think I recall that industrial chain doesn't fit marine chain windlasses.

OTOH, I also think I have a faint memory of someone saying to ask for some commercial designation of 5/16" chain which matched the Acco/marine sizes (so it would work in the gypsies).

Help?

L8R

Skip
They do industrial and marine. Proof coil, BBB, or HT. Commercial marine also. Their galvanizing is (was?) top notch also. I've never purchased anything but Campbell chain. I have inherited other chain on a couple of boats though. I've heard enough stories about ACCO that I likely wouldn't go there. But it's always hard to say nowdays for sure. I haven't bought chain in a long time either.
I see someone above bought ACCO through Fisheries Supply, I wonder if they still carry Campbell? That's where I used to buy it wholesale.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 12:08   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Manhandling a whole barrel of chain for four blocks

Remind me to not get in a bar fight with you
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 12:18   #11

I just found Campbell 5/16 G4 at $2.25 per foot, $2.00 per ft if I order 300 feet.

This does not include shipping, but since I live in the area, I can pick it up.
Old 28-04-2016, 17:05   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailscubasurf View Post
I just found Campbell 5/16 G4 at $2.25 per foot, $2.00 per ft if I order 300 feet.

This does not include shipping, but since I live in the area, I can pick it up.
Where?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 17:21   #13

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I bought 5/16th HT chain from Don's Marine for my windlass. It is actually 8mm and sourced from Europe as this is a 'short link' and odd size/low production in the USA but more common in metric locations. Acco is made in the USA and if you like the spend more for that keeping it in the USA thing, then go ahead and spend more for ACCO. I paid about $2 per ft SHIPPED from Florida to PA (it was under $1.50/ft for the chain I think). I'm on my 4th season with this chain and there is no sign of rust that I've seen... So I'd check Don's Marine Salvage and forget the ACCO hype.
-zach
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 17:55   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I purchased a half barrel (275') in either 2005 or 2006, of ACCO 5/16 G4 chain. To date I have only seen a slight surface rust on a few links, probably due to abrasion from the chain snubber.

Subsequent to that purchase date, my understanding is that the ACCO plant was moved, and that the company was taken over by a new owner.

Now, I may be completely wrong on the above, but my experience has been positive with ACCO, and I have many hundreds of nights at anchor.

Flying Pig! I saw that boat in the south field at Vero. They didn't let you come up to play with the cool kids in the north field??
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I purchased a half barrel (275') in either 2005 or 2006, of ACCO 5/16 G4 chain. To date I have only seen a slight surface rust on a few links, probably due to abrasion from the chain snubber.

Subsequent to that purchase date, my understanding is that the ACCO plant was moved, and that the company was taken over by a new owner.

Now, I may be completely wrong on the above, but my experience has been positive with ACCO, and I have many hundreds of nights at anchor.

Flying Pig! I saw that boat in the south field at Vero. They didn't let you come up to play with the cool kids in the north field??
LOL. We've never moored in the south field. Our mooring, other than the brief (dammit) times we've been gone, since Christmas Day 2013, has been immediately south of the first little island - 4 moorings north of the dinghy dock, and well out of the south field. The only time we've been in the south field was coming or going from/to Ft. Pierce, and never on a ball there. We're right next to John and Ann's Far Niente.

OTOH, no, we don't go up next to the creek, where the ferro with the blue netting, and the sculptor Ray and wife live (on a very different, very nice boat)...

My ACCO purchase was a great long while after yours. My first chain did marvelously, for many years, before I finally replaced it in my refit in Ft. Pierce. The new ACCO really sucks.

L8R

Skip

Tags
anchor