Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-03-2013, 12:11   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Knox anchor anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
DumnMad:

You misunderstand me. I was pointing out that, according to Knox's direct measurements, a particular boat with a particular anchor in good holding would drag in 24 knots.
This is not realistic, or remotely close to it.
I agree.
This sort of windspeed is a real transition point. Below this windspeed a very minimally set anchor will hold in combination with the resistance from the chain.

Above this level you need a set anchor. Consequently about 25k (average windspeed) is a very common windspeed for boats to start dragging. Their anchors are unset and don't set with the wind pressure. Even a very small set old generation anchor will hold at these wind speeds with typical scope. There is very little pressure on the anchor.

The situation at average windspeed of 45k is very different. Here you need an anchor that is going to experiencing considerable stress. It needs to well set and capable of holding substantial force.
This is the level that well set set, normal sized older generation anchors start to commonly fail, in hard, or very soft substrates.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor