Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 07:02   #1

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
Key West Anchorages

Hurricane season is almost done and I am ready to get out of this (dirty, nasty, foul, garbage filled, motorboat chopped, greasy topped, low visibility) bay and head south to clearer waters. I want to play in Key West for Halloween before departing for unknown locations, I need to know where is a good safe place to anchor, what costs are involved in getting to shore (my travel budget has been between $0 and -1), what restrictions there are on anchoring and how "little dog friendly" the area is. Any piracy issues with live aboards swiping gear? (there have been some issues here).

Gulfport FL is great but I am tired of Boca Ciega Bay.
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:18   #2

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
You can anchor between Key West and Stock Island and just beach your dinghy for free. Lots of other boats there so it should be safe if you make some friends. You will be at the end of the runway so there is some noise.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:11   #3

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
Question Local Anchorages

Answer: You might try Similar Sound with showers and dingy dock at dog friendly, Geiger Key Campground.

If I knew you better I might be able to suggest other anchorages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillyfunk View Post
Hurricane season is almost done and I am ready to get out of this (dirty, nasty, foul, garbage filled, motorboat chopped, greasy topped, low visibility) bay and head south to clearer waters. I want to play in Key West for Halloween before departing for unknown locations, I need to know where is a good safe place to anchor, what costs are involved in getting to shore (my travel budget has been between $0 and -1), what restrictions there are on anchoring and how "little dog friendly" the area is. Any piracy issues with live aboards swiping gear? (there have been some issues here).

Gulfport FL is great but I am tired of Boca Ciega Bay.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 05:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A couple of earlier discussions

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...age-22639.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...west-3166.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 06:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
There are ZERO free dingy landings in Key West (unless you are military) that are available to the public anywhere near a decent anchorage.... Unless you count Simonton ramp, and then good luck for your dingy being there when you get back!

Depending on your needs, the "free" anchorages are North and West sides of Christmas Island, and the West side of Flemming Key. There are a few shallow draft folks who anchor South of Sigsbee. The City maintains a mooring field between Fleming and Sigsbee... Last I checked it was about $240/mo which includes dingy dock, shower access, and pumpout.

If you choose to anchor West of Flemming, there is a Dingy Dock ($80/mo) in Key West Bight by Turtle Kraals. I have a fairly bullet proof mooring about a half mile North of Christmas that you could use if you want... PM me if you are interested.
Old 01-05-2012, 14:47   #6

Re: Key West Anchorages

I just read your reply regarding anchoring in Key West and am interested in learning more about your mooring...Fast Annie is a 42 foot Tayana cutter, 6 foot draft. Please email me at fast_annie*at*juno*dot*com
Fast Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:05   #7

No, please don't e-mail Fast Annie. The whole point of a public forum like this, the very reason that it has any value, is the sharing of knowledge with a wide audience. Please do not circumvent that.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Annie View Post
I just read your reply regarding anchoring in Key West and am interested in learning more about your mooring...Fast Annie is a 42 foot Tayana cutter, 6 foot draft. Please email me at fast_annie*at*juno*dot*com
Annie, I have two moorings and one dock. The moorings are in Similar Sound (between Geiger and Saddlebunck Keys) and Man-of-War Harbor in Key West. The dock is a 135 foot seawall where I am currently keeping my 45'/7'draft sailboat. How can I help you?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32   #9

Happy Days, did you know you can also anchor in Similar Sound!

Tags
anchor, anchorages, key west