Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 17:07   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Kedge: Danforth HT vs. Fortress

We have the Fortress FX23 for a stern anchor on our 33’ yacht. We love it, and usually put it with some chain/rope into my sons kayak and he paddles of and dumps it for us. At only 6.8kg even a 12 year old can handle it and in our area (plenty of sand) it holds well.
We purchased the Fortress of Gumtree for $100 AU, that’s why we have the larger model.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 17:54   #17

Thanks for all the input. FWIW, I will never stow this anchor. I will keep it rigged as a stern anchor. So stowability is not a factor for me. Just price and strength. Sounds like most people feel the Fortress is the way to go.

I already have an FX-37 as a second/backup bow anchor. I just want to add a stern/kedge anchor to the boat. On my last boat, I had a Danforth as the stern anchor. I used it quite a few times, so plan to keep one rigged on this boat too.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:58   #18

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

You definitely want some chain on the Fortress. I had one for my 40 ft. boat as a backup and in very strong current it is so light it sometimes needs help to get down to the bottom instead of just flying around in the current. That big area on the flukes is great for holding. Not so great when you want it to sink to the bottom.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fortress