Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2021, 10:05   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Interesting New PS Anchor Test

Here: https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...horsSandAndMud

I think the idea behind this test is clever -- not testing ultimate holding power, which except at extremes is not the limiting factor in anchoring, but rather resetting behavior.

Highest marks to Spade, Ultra, Excel. The CQR was not tested because they couldn't even get it to set. Roll bar anchors were found to do relatively poorly because they would clog when the pulled out and attempted to reset.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:30   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Interesting New PS Anchor Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I think the idea behind this test is clever -- not testing ultimate holding power, which except at extremes is not the limiting factor in anchoring, but rather resetting behavior.

Highest marks to Spade, Ultra, Excel. The CQR was not tested because they couldn't even get it to set. Roll bar anchors were found to do relatively poorly because they would clog when the pulled out and attempted to reset.

Not new. Jan 2013.

But yeah, I have long been far more interested in why anchor anchor break out at low load, and why they fail to set or reset, than maximum holding power (other than very soft mud). Properly sized and well-set in a good bottom, theoretical straight line holding capacity is not often the real problem.

Following.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:59   #3

The more recent tests by S/V Panope on YouTube came to similar conclusions about the roll bar anchors when resetting in mud or weed. He also had the best results with Spade and Excel

Here's a Rocna test

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I once went through a 360 degree gradual windshift while anchored in shallow water in Bahamian sand. The Spade twisted out and re-set multiple times in a pattern so tight that it looked like someone had drawn a flower in the bottom sand. I wish I'd though to take a photo, as it was one of the neatest things I've ever seen. The end result was not a spiral, but a tidy closed circle.
The Spade is among my favorites, partly because of that experience.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:27   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Has anyone drilled holes into the Rocna roll bar anchor?

I’m so tempted to do that with mine. My Rocna is the 44lbs one I believe.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:10   #6

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Pretty sure Steve just did that on his Panope channel.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Pretty sure Steve just did that on his Panope channel.
Thank you! I just watched it.
Old 10-01-2021, 20:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

always been corncern with the sugar scoop roll bar anchors. Why I will not used them.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 20:09   #9

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Late to this Tread. And late to this PS test. Thanks for posting.

Coincidentally, I have recently completed "Veer" testing of 17 anchors ranging from 10 to 55 lb.. I found a near perfect correlation between roll bar anchors under performing and non roll bar anchors performing very well.

Test protocol: Anchors set with high force (840 lbs. for the 45 lb. anchors) followed by the test boat moving sideways through 180 degrees while maintaining the high pulling force.

If the anchors remained engaged at the 180 degree mark, pulling force was increased to the maximum of the test boat (1150 lbs.)

Seabed: Sandy Mud.

Test boat was moving "sideways" at just under 2 knots.

Rode was 9/16" nylon ONLY. 180 Feet. Depth 30 Feet. Scope 6:1

---------

Bruce was the worst performing anchor of the test.

All the roll bar anchors released during the veer except one (Mantus, which then released under the max pull).

Fortress remained engaged but released under max pull.

All the non roll bar anchors remained engaged during the veer (except the Delta, which pulled out at the 30 degree mark). All the non roll bar anchors (including the Delta) remained engaged under the max pull (1150 lbs.) at the end of the veer.

Even the small non roll bar anchors (17lb. Excel and 21 pound Spade) remained engaged and held the full 1150 lbs. - Far outclassing ALL the roll bar anchors that were more than twice as heavy.

Video coming soon.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 21:02   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Well. We have an 85lb Mantus, and 250 feet of 3/8" chain. We've NEVER budged. Even going 360 degrees. We have friends with a PC 37, been cruising full time for 4 years on their Mantus. 2 hurricanes. Hasn't budged.

We've also done tests on the Mantus dinghy anchor. Nothing, NOTHING comes close. Two guys leaning on that tiny little anchor, and it didn't come loose.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 23:57   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Well. We have an 85lb Mantus, and 250 feet of 3/8" chain. We've NEVER budged. Even going 360 degrees. We have friends with a PC 37, been cruising full time for 4 years on their Mantus. 2 hurricanes. Hasn't budged.

We've also done tests on the Mantus dinghy anchor. Nothing, NOTHING comes close. Two guys leaning on that tiny little anchor, and it didn't come loose.
I think all those results are interesting - but of course, anchoring is a religion. We have a 30 kilo Mantus, have anchored over 1000 nights on it and only once have dragged (that was our own fault - not the anchors)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 08:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

Coincidentally, I have recently completed "Veer" testing of 17 anchors ranging from 10 to 55 lb.. I found a near perfect correlation between roll bar anchors under performing and non roll bar anchors performing very well.

Test protocol: Anchors set with high force (840 lbs. for the 45 lb. anchors) followed by the test boat moving sideways through 180 degrees while maintaining the high pulling force.

If the anchors remained engaged at the 180 degree mark, pulling force was increased to the maximum of the test boat (1150 lbs.)

---------

All the roll bar anchors released during the veer except one (Mantus, which then released under the max pull).

All the non roll bar anchors remained engaged during the veer (except the Delta, which pulled out at the 30 degree mark). All the non roll bar anchors (including the Delta) remained engaged under the max pull (1150 lbs.) at the end of the veer.

Even the small non roll bar anchors (17lb. Excel and 21 pound Spade) remained engaged and held the full 1150 lbs. - Far outclassing ALL the roll bar anchors that were more than twice as heavy.

Video coming soon.

Steve
Your awesome Panope! Thank you for your videos!

Sam
Old 15-01-2021, 09:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:

---------

Video coming soon.

Steve
Excellent Steve it’s remarkable that even those small non roll bar anchors outperformed the larger roll bar anchors. I think the roll bar inhibits deep setting and thus limits performance. I’ll look forward to the video.
Nick
Old 15-01-2021, 18:07   #14

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Excellent Steve it’s remarkable that even those small non roll bar anchors outperformed the larger roll bar anchors. I think the roll bar inhibits deep setting and thus limits performance. I’ll look forward to the video.
Nick
Nick,

I believe the statement "roll bar inhibits deep setting" should include the following "in cohesive seabeds".

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 19:32   #15

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Nick,

I believe the statement "roll bar inhibits deep setting" should include the following "in cohesive seabeds".

Steve
Cohesive (clay) soils act quite differently from non-cohesive (sand) soils during shear. As Panope reinforces, the sea bottom soil type is a major factor on anchor performance.

After soil type, the density of the soil is the chief factor that determines shear strength. Angularity of particles plays a minor role, as does the mineral type of the sea bed soil (ie carbonate sands are generally far weaker than silica sands)
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor