Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 18:37   #61
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Have you ever broken your chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I also heard, second-hand & anecdotally, that SS chain won't castle up in the locker like galvanized often does. True?
That's true with new chain, for sure.
Old 27-02-2013, 18:40   #62

Boat: Bristol 47.7

That coupler looks quite stout as well. More substantial than the quicklinks it seems. I've been wanting to combine two lengths of 3/8" chain but have been wary of the couplers I've previously seen. I assume the coupler also matches the chain's WL? Do you also carry spare anchor chain/rode for a second anchor?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:12   #63
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
That coupler looks quite stout as well. More substantial than the quicklinks it seems. I've been wanting to combine two lengths of 3/8" chain but have been wary of the couplers I've previously seen. I assume the coupler also matches the chain's WL? Do you also carry spare anchor chain/rode for a second anchor?
Yes it is a 6,600lb coupler for 3/8" chain. West Marine even carries it.. and it passes the windlass without trouble. It is not galvanized though... In the picture I am spraying it with cold galvanize.

My second rode is mostly 1.25" 8-strand Yalebraid, 400' of it with a little chain at the end, with a Fortress FX85.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:54   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes it is a 6,600lb coupler for 3/8" chain. West Marine even carries it.. and it passes the windlass without trouble. It is not galvanized though... In the picture I am spraying it with cold galvanize.

My second rode is mostly 1.25" 8-strand Yalebraid, 400' of it with a little chain at the end, with a Fortress FX85.
Thank you. I'll look into one of those for my BBB 3/8" chain. I'm surprised to hear it passes through the windlass -- nice bonus. From the pics it looks like you may only have one chain locker. Do you keep your 2nd rode & Fortress stowed elsewhere? I only ask since my boat came to me with two chain locker compartments & two hawse pipes. Although I carry a couple of spare anchors (one a Fortress), I'm thinking I could eliminate the divider b'twn the two chain compartments and devote one large locker to an increased length of mostly chain. Seems wasteful & unnecessary having all that extra wgt. in the bow when I rarely if ever use a 2nd anchor.
Old 28-02-2013, 01:02   #65

Boat: Little Harbor 46

Thats interesting, a stretched shackle suggests the anchor held which in Ivan was something! My experience of Ivan was in Grand Cayman where we were on the North wall of the eye for about 16 hours, one of four 3/4 inch cables was sawn through by a speedboat floating past on a trailer, so the boat swung round snapped the other bow cable like a rubber band and nearly hit my friends house, landing on his neighbours lawn where it survived the storm, my house blew way but boat survived! Bending a shackle sounds like a good deal and a good anchor!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 03:59   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Godber View Post
Thats interesting, a stretched shackle suggests the anchor held which in Ivan was something! My experience of Ivan was in Grand Cayman where we were on the North wall of the eye for about 16 hours, one of four 3/4 inch cables was sawn through by a speedboat floating past on a trailer, so the boat swung round snapped the other bow cable like a rubber band and nearly hit my friends house, landing on his neighbours lawn where it survived the storm, my house blew way but boat survived! Bending a shackle sounds like a good deal and a good anchor!
We were lucky but not undamaged as other boats hit us. The anchor used was our everyday anchor which is a 176lb original Bruce; the boat is 25 metric tons (27 US).

Old 28-02-2013, 14:40   #67

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Nick, very odd question, but whenever I see a well used genuine Bruce anchor they have a sort of brownish reddish hue, not unlike a rust color, but they don't look rusty--just reddish. Have you noticed that? If you have, do you know why that is? Other old anchors I have known continue to maintain the gray galvanized look except sometimes where the galvanizing gets worn right off on a point or edge.
Old 28-02-2013, 16:22   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We were lucky but not undamaged as other boats hit us. The anchor used was our everyday anchor which is a 176lb original Bruce; the boat is 25 metric tons (27 US).
Did you inadvertently add a "1" in front of the "76" when you listed the wgt. of your Bruce?
Old 28-02-2013, 16:25   #69
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Did you inadvertently add a "1" in front of the "76" when you listed the wgt. of your Bruce?
Now you know why he always gets the last word on anchoring threads.
Old 28-02-2013, 16:31   #70

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Now you know why he always gets the last word on anchoring threads.
Nick believes that size does matter.
Old 28-02-2013, 16:59   #71

Boat: a sailing boat

That "1" is correct. Also about what matters.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 17:52   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
That "1" is correct. Also about what matters.

Cheers,
b.
Yes, indeed!

Never could find the coupler Jedi has but did find Crosby connecter links here: http://www.riggingwarehouse.com/defa...6&catlist=1629. In case the link doesn't work, it's part no. 307-1013156 from Rigging Equipment and Supplies - RiggingWarehouse.com. WLL 2,750 (about 100lbs. more than 3/8" BBB but way less than G40).
Old 28-02-2013, 17:55   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Nick, very odd question, but whenever I see a well used genuine Bruce anchor they have a sort of brownish reddish hue, not unlike a rust color, but they don't look rusty--just reddish. Have you noticed that? If you have, do you know why that is? Other old anchors I have known continue to maintain the gray galvanized look except sometimes where the galvanizing gets worn right off on a point or edge.
It is where they loose the galvanize. They are cast from some special steel that looks that way. Best to clean it up with some Ospho and spray cold galvanize on it for protection again.
Old 28-02-2013, 17:56   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nope, 176 pounds, 80 kilograms

We sleep well at night

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-02-2013, 18:00   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, indeed!

Never could find the coupler Jedi has but did find Crosby connecter links here: http://www.riggingwarehouse.com/defa...6&catlist=1629. In case the link doesn't work, it's part no. 307-1013156 from Rigging Equipment and Supplies - RiggingWarehouse.com. WLL 2,750 (about 100lbs. more than 3/8" BBB but way less than G70).
try this:

SEAFIT Link at West Marine