Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-06-2022, 23:51   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Correct Cordage for Attaching Bitter End of Chain

I am bringing new anchor chain on board today and need to decide on cordage for attaching the bitter end to the boat.

From the original build, there was a fairly thin (maybe 12mm) piece of nylon or polyester three-strand for this purpose.

I think the basic idea is:

1. It needs to be thin enough that the windlass won't engage it (so it won't be powered out forcefully and broken off by the windlass); and

2. It needs to be long enough so that it does come out through the windlass (otherwise the chain will be powered out by the windlass, breaking the rope).

3. You need to be able to cut it in an emergency (I keep a knife hanging in the chain locker).

I don't have any thin three-strand lying around, but I do have some double braid.

But maybe single braid dyneema would be better? I could splice it on at both ends, rather than knotting it, and it will be way stronger. I don't think strength is so critical here, and in any case the eye bolt it's attached to is not all that strong, but dyneema will be slipperier so less risk of getting caught in the windlass, and less easily broken. On the downside, somewhat harder to cut.

And I will paint the last 3 or 4 meters of the chain signal orange.

I have accidentally powered my chain out all the way once or twice in the last 13 years with this boat, and missed losing the ground tackle just by this thin piece of cordage, so I think it's really important to do this right.

Any tips?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote