Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2008, 23:38   #1

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Chain to Rope Connection

What is the best method for connecting chain to rope?
First a bit of background. I currently have 150 feet of all chain anchor rode. I want to add about 150 to 200 feet of 5/8 inch rope to enable anchoring in deeper water than I can now. Whatever connection method that I decide on, it must fit down the hawser opening I have now. By the way, I have a Lewmar windlass. An eye splice probably won't fit through the opening. Is a rope to chain splice a good, strong connection method?

Thanks for the help,
Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 00:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Tom

A chain to rope connection works just fine we have been using this for a long time and I have attached a picture, we use 50 meters of weighted 16 mm line made by liros and this is connected to 50 meters of Duplex 8 mm anchor chain
greetings
Gideon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor chain rode connection.JPG
Views:	2580
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	2763  
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 00:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
We’ve had several interesting & informative discussions on this exact subject, including (but not limited to):

Joining chain...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ain-12178.html

Rope to Chain Connections ?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tions-978.html

Anchoring Technology - Yale Cordage
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dage-2552.html

HOW TO EYE SPLICE DOUBLE BRAID ROPE
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...pe-6344-3.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 02:52   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Tom.

I have just your setup: 150' chain, 175' 5/8" nylon three-strand, Lewmar Sprint 1500 windlass.

I joined my rope and chain using the splice shown here:

New England Ropes - Splicing Guide

I think that this is the smallest diameter rope-to-chain connection that you'll be able to make. It's able to pass through the windlass, but sometimes needs a tug. I rarely have to use any nylon rode when anchoring, though.
Old 22-02-2008, 08:17   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I've done the chain to rope splice though with 150' of chain have yet to put any tension on the splice. Evan S. (Beth Leonard's partner) says he takes his splice apart every year and checks it but has yet to find a problem with one. The ability to go down the Hawser pipe will depend on the type of rope rode that you use. 3 strand is the easiest splice to do. I did it with 8 strand and it wasn't too bad.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 13:29   #6

Thanks for the Help

Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide me with this excellent information. I think as a first choice, I would like to use the 8 strand "plait" rode. However, 2 questions arise. First, where can I purchase this type of rope in the Bellingham to Seattle area?
And second, for Gideon (or anyone else who knows) how do you ""finish off" the splice in your photo? It looks like you did more than just use "constrictor" knots.
No matter which splice method I finally decide on, I think I will not put the splice through the windlass gypsy and that should reduce the wear on the splice.
Thanks again,
Tom
Old 22-02-2008, 14:15   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
I bought mine mailorder thru defender. I imagine that you can get it at Waste Marine or fisheries supply. The reason I bought thru defender was b/c they had a real good pfrice on an off name brand rope.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 14:20   #8

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Hi, Tom.

I have just your setup: 150' chain, 175' 5/8" nylon three-strand, Lewmar Sprint 1500 windlass.

I joined my rope and chain using the splice shown here:

New England Ropes - Splicing Guide

I think that this is the smallest diameter rope-to-chain connection that you'll be able to make. It's able to pass through the windlass, but sometimes needs a tug. I rarely have to use any nylon rode when anchoring, though.
I have the same chain to rope splice. I sat through up to 100kts of wind on Stewart Isl, NZ for 2 days in 1986. No problem.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 14:42   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Kanani,

That's comforting! The most I've been anchored in is 40-45 kts.
Old 22-02-2008, 15:17   #10

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Kanani,

That's comforting! The most I've been anchored in is 40-45 kts.
Nastiest low I ever saw. They had 60'-100' seas in the Foveaux Straight and it took a 100 year-old light house off of the end of Puysegur Point (150' up on a cliff). Several fishing boats were lost.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 17:55   #11
Marine Service Provider

Don't use the down the chain splice, it's called by winchmakers the 'Winch Killer' splice and for very good reason. You can actually see the start of the winch killer bits in FASTCATs picture above, the chain links turning sideways. One of those links sideways hitting your winch can get very very expensive.

That splice is also more prone to damage the rope then the New England (amongst others) 'backsplice' style.

We do an average 15 odd rope to chain splices a day and have done for nearly 10 years. We send them all over the world for 1 or 2 winchmakers and do a lot of test work/rodes for one big name.

Over that time we have chopped many open and obviously had a look at 100's that have been used for various lengths of time.

I can say with confidence -
The join if spliced well is no weaker than splicing a thimble in.
Will work well in R2C (rope to chain) gypsies.
Will work just as well not in a gypsy
Rope damage is not a concern of ours anymore and we have never seen anything large to be worried about.
We would recommend re splicing every 3 years max (average use) just to check the chain link underneath. We have seen these used on commercial boats (up/down 3-4 times a day) for 6-7 years without any drama though. But then using anchoring system gear a lot usually means it will last longer than those that are used once a month or less.
The winches don't damage the rope itself really. The thing to watch on the spile is the winch pulling the odd strand out of the splice, if not fixed it will eventually 'un-splice' the rope. Don't panic it takes many ups and downs for this to happen, it doesn't do it fast. Anyway as well all know sound seamanship says you do give your rode the Mk1 Eyeball over now and again so you should pick any drama up well before it becomes a safety thing.

Using 8 Braid (octiplait, Brait and whatever you call it locally) is no worries just as 3 strands aren't either.

In the US I'd try to get New England or Yale 8 Brait. We've used both and apart from the bullpooh price they are nice ropes. We have a Japanese crowd make all of ours.

If you are planning on using it in a Auto R2C winch don't buy 'the cheap stuff', it's false economy and will give you grief sooner rather than later. Actually that applies to most ropes.

Match the rope size to the chain size especially if using on a Auto R2C winch.

Rock on and have fun.

PS. I've sat through 45-50 with gusts on top with my rope, spliced direct to the chain) with no worries and my gear is smaller than most recommend.

PPS. FASTCAT's using a double braid I see. Unusual and fine as long as you don't anchor by sharp things. Chop the cover and 1/2 the strength instantly goes away never to come back. Stainless chain = sexy beast
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 10:13   #12

Now Convinced

GMac, Hud, and Kanani,
Thanks for the examples of real world experience where the rope to chain back splice has more than held up!
I will use that splice (have done several splices successfully with 3 strand, so I hope I can figure out the 8 strand by following the directions from Yale cordage) and not the one that runs up the chain. Great information GMac.
Charlie, I will try Worst Marine or some other chandleries near Bellingham harbour to try to find the appropriate rope. If not, I can always use 3 strand as a plan "B".
Thanks for all the information, I have learned a lot.

Tom
Old 23-02-2008, 21:25   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehoser75 View Post
GMac, Hud, and Kanani,
Thanks for the examples of real world experience where the rope to chain back splice has more than held up!
I will use that splice (have done several splices successfully with 3 strand, so I hope I can figure out the 8 strand by following the directions from Yale cordage) and not the one that runs up the chain. Great information GMac.
Charlie, I will try Worst Marine or some other chandleries near Bellingham harbour to try to find the appropriate rope. If not, I can always use 3 strand as a plan "B".
Thanks for all the information, I have learned a lot.

Tom
Hallo Tom

If you cannot find the 8 Strand weigthed line there we can always send it to you from Europe, the thickness is 16 mm and the working power load is 4800 kilo and breaking is double. the cost is euro 250,00 to us for the 50 meter line plus shipping to you , around 35 euro if you are not in a hurry.
It is made by Liros in Germany
Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 22:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

Fastcat - Is that line your talking about actually weighted as in it has lead or something in it? If yes, do you run it through a winch and how does it go?
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 22:54   #15

Boat: Trismus 37
I just googled Liros rope and it came up with theirlist of lines and ropes that they make.etc, the leaded line is called handy anchor and has the last 10 metres of a 30 metre length with lead incorporated into the line and is finished with an SS thimble.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope