Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2022, 07:56   #31

Boat: DeFever 41
Re: Anchoring in the Great Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Anchors with the “hoop” can have this problem. I switched to a Spade anchor and have not had this happen in this type of bottom. Very happy with it.
There's no "hoop" on the SuperMax. It's the original "shovel" and adjustable for various bottom conditions.
BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:28   #32
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Just a little bit more follow-up. We have now anchored at least a half dozen times since these thoughts and comments have come in. We have a 100% success rate. The anchor has stuck, has held while backing, and has come up covered in mud with minimal weeds. The most significant change I have made is anchoring in at least 20 ft of water.
Of course, in The Thousand Islands, water comes in two depths - 50 ft and up, and 5 ft and less. But I'm finding the sweet spot in between.
Thanks everyone for their thoughts.i
Yep, you've got a lot of excellent advice! We use a Delta and, using the Mike OReilly/Paul Howard techniques described, always have success, defined by not dragging during the night (although very occasionally dragging when power setting). Always, always power set, before leaving the boat or at night.

In the Eastern part of the 1000 Islands the weeds below 12 deep are much sparser and anchoring is usually doable.

I can't add much else, except to check out the Active Captain/Navionics anchorages reviews. They'll also give tips about free docks, which smaller towns often have to encourage visitors.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:43   #33

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

We used a delta for a long time, had issues only twice. Weeds once and rock the other. Being able to visually watch for weeds and letting out scope has worked for us too.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:22   #34
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
We used a delta for a long time, had issues only twice. Weeds once and rock the other. Being able to visually watch for weeds and letting out scope has worked for us too.
Yes, sometimes in the early part of the summer the waters are quite murky, but it all seems to be clearing up around here now.

The larger and tougher weeds are dying down now. Now there's a lot of very soft stuff. I've been clearing our rowing club buoys of weed mats, and it's a lot easier than it was a month ago, although there is more floating around.

Then the weed mats drop to the bottom and can be somewhat difficult to anchor in, by the Fall.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, great lakes