Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2021, 05:08   #1

Anchoring home-made raft in Key West

I am planning on spending a few days in Key West in January 2022.
I would like to put together a home-made raft:
8ftX8ft, 2x4's and a couple plywood sheets, an innertube strapped to each of the four corners, tent on top.
I plan to moor it in the shallow waters south of Sigsbee, on the south side of the power lines from Garrison Bight Mooring field.
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the local authorities will hassle me? Would I be violating a law or ordinance?
From what i've gathered so far, a non-motorized vessel less than 16ft need not be registered.
I may be required to have a pfd, 3 vds's, a sounding device, and light for overnight, and that's not a problem.
I plan on camping out on it four nights, tops. I'll then disassemble and dispose of it before I return home.
I appreciate any input!
crowexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:15   #2

Boat: center console
Re: Anchoring home-made raft in Key West

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:29   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Four inner tubes? Did you calculate buoyancy?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Four inner tubes? Did you calculate buoyancy?
Each innertube has a weight limit of 250lbs, so four of them can support up to 1,000lbs.
I weigh 170lbs, lumber would weigh about 150lbs for a total of 320lbs.
I've built and camped on such a unit before in Michigan.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:01   #5

Boat: Farr 43`

I applaud your sense of adventure.

Tubes will loose some pressure and the bands loosen.
Make provision to prevent chafe.

There will no doubt be an ordinance on Marine Sanitation Devices
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:09   #6

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Let's see:

The anchorage is open to the east, and January is when fronts roll through regularly and the easterly winds often reach 20-25 knots.

Sailors sometimes find themselves stuck on board in the mooring field because the water is so rough. And you would be sleeping there on an 8-by-8 Home Depot platform.

What can go wrong, as someone else noted?

I suggest you work a little extra, save up a few dollars and rent a room. If you don't have the money, you're not going to be able to afford anything in Key West anyway.

This is the worst idea I've seen here since some guy was going to mount an old mobile home on a rusty barge and anchor it off some multimillion-dollar homes.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I applaud your sense of adventure.

Tubes will loose some pressure and the bands loosen.
Make provision to prevent chafe.

There will no doubt be an ordinance on Marine Sanitation Devices
Sage advice! I will definitely take measures to avoid chafing friction. I plan to go ashore for any sanitation needs, so I shouldn't have a problem with any Marine Sanitation Device ordinance.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Let's see:

The anchorage is open to the east, and January is when fronts roll through regularly and the easterly winds often reach 20-25 knots.

Sailors sometimes find themselves stuck on board in the mooring field because the water is so rough. And you would be sleeping there on an 8-by-8 Home Depot platform.

What can go wrong, as someone else noted?

I suggest you work a little extra, save up a few dollars and rent a room. If you don't have the money, you're not going to be able to afford anything in Key West anyway.

This is the worst idea I've seen here since some guy was going to mount an old mobile home on a rusty barge and anchor it off some multimillion-dollar homes.
I appreciate your input. This is really more of a weather-dependent venture. It's only going to happen if I have 3 or 4 days of good weather conditions.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:32   #9
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

The best way would be to get the local authorities on your side in advance. Make it some charity awareness or fundraiser event. Ask the local authorities to provide advice. Get some publicity.

I built a similar raft when I was a kid, except I used 55 gallon drums.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

How do you plan to moor it ?? In fact how do you plan to get it from shore out to the water ?? How far out from the shore do you plan to be ? How do you plan to propel your craft to it's designated spot.
Where will you actually construct this thing ?
How do you plan to get back and forth from your contraption to shore for "sanitation purposes". What happens when a sanitation "moment" occurs at midnight ?
I'm curious how you intend to find a place to address your sanitation needs.
I take it you won't be showering or otherwise cleaning yourself.
Your buoyancy of 250 lbs per tube, is that fully immersed, or only partially ?
What about food and water supplies?
What are you going to do when it rains ? How will the tent be attached ? What about strong winds ?
Considering the weight of your...er...craft...and yourself, you may find scant freeboard.
What happens when you roll off while you sleep.

Even a small wave slop will come aboard.

An 8'x8' is a very small platform, it might be stable when you are sitting in the dead middle, but what is going to happen when you sit near an edge ? When you get on or off ?
I take it you'll be in very shallow water.

But my biggest question is....why ???
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:01   #11

Boat: EDELCAT33

Most likely you will be harassed by at least 3 different authorities.
The key to success to do this is a big dose of “Stealth Camping”, i.e. blend with your surroundings. There is a small island north of Trumboll point. If you can anchor on the north side MAYBE you won’t be noticed, but I doubt it as there is too many viewing angles from land and from the moorings and you will be reported.
You may get away with it if you try a more friendly area away from prying eyes. Just east of that area you have Salt Pond Key close to a trailer park area, if you anchor NE behind the island MAYBE you get away with itClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	249691Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	249692
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:08   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Send pictures. I want to see this.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:20   #13

Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
How do you plan to moor it ?? In fact how do you plan to get it from shore out to the water ?? How far out from the shore do you plan to be ? How do you plan to propel your craft to it's designated spot.
Where will you actually construct this thing ?
How do you plan to get back and forth from your contraption to shore for "sanitation purposes". What happens when a sanitation "moment" occurs at midnight ?
I'm curious how you intend to find a place to address your sanitation needs.
I take it you won't be showering or otherwise cleaning yourself.
Your buoyancy of 250 lbs per tube, is that fully immersed, or only partially ?
What about food and water supplies?
What are you going to do when it rains ? How will the tent be attached ? What about strong winds ?
Considering the weight of your...er...craft...and yourself, you may find scant freeboard.
What happens when you roll off while you sleep.

Even a small wave slop will come aboard.

An 8'x8' is a very small platform, it might be stable when you are sitting in the dead middle, but what is going to happen when you sit near an edge ? When you get on or off ?
I take it you'll be in very shallow water.

But my biggest question is....why ???
I'll likely construct it either on shore, possibly in the shallow water near the land bridge that goes to Sigsby. I'll row it or use a forcula(long stick to push against the ground in shallow water) to get out 150 ft or so from shore.

I'll use an anchor to moor it, I haven't decided whether I'll get a small inflatable raft to go ashore, or just take the whole unit in every time.

When I need a bathroom, there are a lot of stores and restaurants nearby where I can go. If I need to take a leak in the middle of the night, I suppose I could use a 2 liter(if you really want to know) and throw it in a garbage bin the next day. There are cold showers at at least one beach that I know of, and I'm sure I can likely find a better location. I would be willing to pay a fee at a campground for a hot shower, for instance.

My "tent" would actually be a tarp on a stick frame. If there's rain or strong wind in the forecast, I won't be doing this. I'll try not to roll off. If I do, the water depth won't even be over my head.

Yeah, the unit won't be super stable, and I may modify my plans to create a more stable platform.

As to "Why?"

Why ever go camping? There's really not much logic in it I suppose. I enjoy the outdoors, roughing it, and being independent.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Most likely you will be harassed by at least 3 different authorities.
The key to success to do this is a big dose of “Stealth Camping”, i.e. blend with your surroundings. There is a small island north of Trumboll point. If you can anchor on the north side MAYBE you won’t be noticed, but I doubt it as there is too many viewing angles from land and from the moorings and you will be reported.
You may get away with it if you try a more friendly area away from prying eyes. Just east of that area you have Salt Pond Key close to a trailer park area, if you anchor NE behind the island MAYBE you get away with itAttachment 249691Attachment 249692
Thank you, this is the kind of comment I came here for! Key West is a crowded place, I'm in agreement with you, that stealth camping would be hard to pull off. I pretty much expect to be spotted, if I can be 100% sure that I'm not in any sort of violation of laws or ordinances, then I'll just deal with the occasional visit from Johnny Law.

The only "stealth camp" idea I have, is if I could acquire a raft that I could set up after sunset, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, key west