Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 14:00   #106

Re: Anchoring home-made raft in Key West

If the coast guard finds out they can, and have in the past, stop your voyage if they determine your boat is not seaworthy. The last thing they want to do is rescue you
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 14:54   #107

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I think the OP is a dreamer however I can't see any harm in his endeavor even if foolhardy to me or others.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 15:24   #108

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc View Post

There you go. It is already on a dock, probably could talk the guy into letting you stay on his finger for 4 days and just give it back to him.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 15:41   #109

Another thing....

On a vessel that has no propulsion for normal ops, you become a "live a board" and the rules are much tighter on that.

After reading this thread, I see little upside in this adventure... and a LOT of issues. There are SO many better options for the adventure.
Larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 16:01   #110

The days of tom Sawyer drifting down the Mississippi are over
Old 17-12-2021, 16:37   #111

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
The days of tom Sawyer drifting down the Mississippi are over
Not so. When I brought my boat down the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, and others we ran into a number of people doing exactly that. Though, most had secured an outboard to their raft and built a shack on it as well.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 16:40   #112

Good luck.
Old 17-12-2021, 16:42   #113

Boat: formosa 46 1978

you have to take some pics and post them.
this is Huck Finn all over again. good luck!
put hinges from one sheet of ply to the next on the long sides. then it will fit in a full size truck and you just unfold it to 8 by 8 , screw 2 /4's across it to keep it from folding and off you go!
jomoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 17:54   #114

Boat: Cooper Seabird 37

A suggestion:

I don't know where you are coming from, but we are anchored right now in San Carlos, Sonora MX. There is a really nice calm anchorage here. Just some afternoon wind (15-20 knts). There is a large shallow area where boats can't anchor. A bit chilly at night at the moment (15-18C), but nice during the day.

Authorities will not mess with you, because, well, it is Mexico. Beautiful area. Might think about it as an alternative. US authorities are nuts.
scottburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 14:34   #115

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

If you choose cheap pvc inflatable, whether dinghy or inflatable mattress or the Amazon pool bed etc, be sure to have repair patches and glue.

Suggest If inflatable inner tube device, keep it simple, lash rather than bolt, plywood rather than 2x4s

Post photos please
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 14:59   #116

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowexplorer View Post
I'll likely construct it either on shore, possibly in the shallow water near the land bridge that goes to Sigsby. I'll row it or use a forcula(long stick to push against the ground in shallow water) to get out 150 ft or so from shore.

I'll use an anchor to moor it, I haven't decided whether I'll get a small inflatable raft to go ashore, or just take the whole unit in every time.

When I need a bathroom, there are a lot of stores and restaurants nearby where I can go. If I need to take a leak in the middle of the night, I suppose I could use a 2 liter(if you really want to know) and throw it in a garbage bin the next day. There are cold showers at at least one beach that I know of, and I'm sure I can likely find a better location. I would be willing to pay a fee at a campground for a hot shower, for instance.

My "tent" would actually be a tarp on a stick frame. If there's rain or strong wind in the forecast, I won't be doing this. I'll try not to roll off. If I do, the water depth won't even be over my head.

Yeah, the unit won't be super stable, and I may modify my plans to create a more stable platform.

As to "Why?"

Why ever go camping? There's really not much logic in it I suppose. I enjoy the outdoors, roughing it, and being independent.
Even most inflatable dinghys dont row very well. I expect trying to row 4 inner tubes in anything resembling a straight course will be very difficult.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 18:01   #117

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

You’ll be ticketed the moment you arrive. They just started enforcing new ordinances that require your vessel be able to maneuver under its own power and pass a safety inspection. FWC’s Key West headquarters is maybe 800 yards from your proposed location. They’ll say hello moments after you pop the first beer.

Also If I saw someone on something like what you are proposing in that anchorage I would assume you have a death wish or your blissfully unaware of how dangerous that area is in a blow. I’m not anti the adventure but KW is the last place you want to try this. Never mind the fact that one of the cruisers or locals would call it in the first night they saw you not bc they’re not live and let live but rather they won’t want your death in the first blow on their conscience.

Don’t do it in Key West … Try someplace more benign and ask anyone who says go for it if they have spent any amount of time in the area.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 23:38   #118

Quote:
I am planning on spending a few days in Key West in January 2022.
I would like to put together a home-made raft:
8ftX8ft, 2x4's and a couple plywood sheets, an innertube strapped to each of the four corners, tent on top.
I plan to moor it in the shallow waters south of Sigsbee, on the south side of the power lines from Garrison Bight Mooring field.
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the local authorities will hassle me? Would I be violating a law or ordinance?
From what i've gathered so far, a non-motorized vessel less than 16ft need not be registered.
I may be required to have a pfd, 3 vds's, a sounding device, and light for overnight, and that's not a problem.
I plan on camping out on it four nights, tops. I'll then disassemble and dispose of it before I return home.
I appreciate any input!
You'll be boarded within 48 hours and handed $200+ in violations. Take the money and stay at the Key West Hostile.
captivacapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 00:49   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamj View Post
Errrr,

The SCOTUS says this about vessels:

"It declined to interpret the phrase broadly to encompass every item that can float. It reasoned some objects that float such as a wooden washtub, a plastic dishpan, a swimming platform on pontoons, a door taken off its hinges, or “Pinocchio when inside the whale,” are clearly not vessels. Rather, the court held a structure does not fall within the scope of the statutory definition of a vessel unless “a reasonable observer” looking at the structure’s physical characteristics and activities “would consider it designed to a practical degree for carrying people or things over water.”

The OP's description does not describe a vessel and the requirements you suggest he is obliged to adhere to would appear to be irrelevant. IMHO.
Problem is if they issue a ticket, the OP is forced to leave the water and then fight the ticket from a different state hundreds of miles away (or pay the ticket).

It's highly unlikely and expensive for him to hire a lawyer and fight it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 00:53   #120

Quote:
I plan to fly to Key West. Most of the materials will likely end up in a dumpster, but I will see if I can donate the lumber back to home depot. They can always add it to their 70% off used pile, or if they can give it away for free, that's even better.
Who's dumpster are you going to illegally dump in? Trash disposal is not cheap as it has to be trucked a long way back to the mainland.

And no, home depot is not in the habit of buying back used lumber.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, key west