Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2021, 06:58   #61

Boat: Pearson 424
Re: Anchoring home-made raft in Key West

Don’t forget that the more you construct the more specialized tools you’ll need. For a wood structure you’ll most likely need a drill, probably not something you’d want to purchase for a one time use.
What about a king size inflatable bed? Buy it at Walmart when you get there, nothing to construct, easy to dispose of and carry.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:05   #62

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

This in my mind doesn’t even qualify as camping or even stealth camping. It is existing with lots of chances of failing. Why not just sleep in your vehicle ??
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:28   #63

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Looking for a place to sleep that floats, right???

I have solved the problem using the “use stuff off the shelf” theory that I’ve used extensively on my boat.

Amazon this to the UPS store or an Amazon locker along with a rechargeable blow up pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Infla...s%2C451&sr=8-9

Get an extra tarp if desired at Home Depot. Get your anchor and rode at Walmart.

At NIGHT, when you have some cover of semi darkness, inflate the thing, take your shoes off and kick a bit until you are out far enough from land. Get a set of fins from Amazon or Walmart so kicking is as strong as a small outboard.

Sleep on the raft. It’s as big as your original plan basically. Extra tarp for more rain protection.

In the morning, kick back ashore and deflate it, stashing it deep in the bushes. Bring the inflation pump to Starbucks or somewhere in your backpack and charge it up each day.

Go get wasted in key west all day (is there anything else to do there?).

Repeat as long as you can get away with it. If it gets stolen, buy a new one. it’s $100. Way less than all the money you’d spend to make your original plan.

THAT is how you stealth camp on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12213905-C513-4E45-A4D9-EB9845F0B693.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	249725  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:31   #64

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
This in my mind doesn’t even qualify as camping or even stealth camping. It is existing with lots of chances of failing. Why not just sleep in your vehicle ??
He’s flying in
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:09   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The ideas floating around here are getting better and better.

I like the air mattress idea, you could build a simple 2x8 frame around it, cover it with plywood, and you'd have your raft at 1/10 the cost of your original idea. You wouldn't need much else, as the mattress will provide both flotation and structural support. With all that flotation available from the air mattress, you'd have a lot more freeboard as well. Walmart sells a variety of air mattresses for very little. You might even be able to row it...maybe.....you'd have to stand on the edge to row it or pole it....poling it might be the better option. It will certainly be lighter and more manageable to move around.
As for a drill, these battery powered drills would be an option. You can carry a spare battery or two for extended use.

Got some good ideas floating around here. LEO remains a problem, but if you are more mobile you could head off into the mangroves, out of sight...

This whole expedition is quite zany, but I'm liking it. I want you to succeed as I'd like to hear about it and see pics.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:18   #66

How do you spell ? MOSQUITOES
motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:45   #67
Marine Service Provider

I believe the Keys get sprayed for mosquito control....
Old 12-12-2021, 10:57   #68

You're making this way too complicated...

When I was a kid I had an 8 foot inflatable row boat... We had a small tent that more or less fit in the "hull". We slept it in all the time.
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:14   #69

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamj View Post
Errrr,

The SCOTUS says this about vessels:

"It declined to interpret the phrase broadly to encompass every item that can float. It reasoned some objects that float such as a wooden washtub, a plastic dishpan, a swimming platform on pontoons, a door taken off its hinges, or “Pinocchio when inside the whale,” are clearly not vessels. Rather, the court held a structure does not fall within the scope of the statutory definition of a vessel unless “a reasonable observer” looking at the structure’s physical characteristics and activities “would consider it designed to a practical degree for carrying people or things over water.”

The OP's description does not describe a vessel and the requirements you suggest he is obliged to adhere to would appear to be irrelevant. IMHO.
I would suggest that it is a court who is a final arbiter over whether or not the proposed construction constitutes a “vessel” or not. Certainly the fact that the proposed construction carries the OP and his/her goods is prima facie evidence that it is, in fact, a vessel.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:23   #70

Boat: Hunter 38

The only recommendation I would make is for the OP to do a dry run wherever he/she is before flying in to KW. By dry run I mean doing EVERYTHING the same from walking with all the hardware the same distance and carrying the gear back, constructing it on a shore somewhere, paddling the thing around, disassembling it, even donating/disposing of it.

I bet there are unforeseen issues
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:13   #71

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowexplorer View Post
That's what I'm hoping for! Just leave me alone for a couple days, I'll clean up after myself, no harm done.
Good luck! I don't understand it but that's me.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:21   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I would suggest that it is a court who is a final arbiter over whether or not the proposed construction constitutes a “vessel” or not. Certainly the fact that the proposed construction carries the OP and his/her goods is prima facie evidence that it is, in fact, a vessel.
Exactly. And the SCOTUS definition for vessel still fits. Glancing at FL law says the raft will be a vessel.

The problem is not registration because of the rafts size but it will be open to a vessel safety inspection... Given that people are arriving in the US in home built "boats" I would guess the OP, if seen, is going to gather some attention.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:28   #73
Marine Service Provider

Why fly into Key West ???

Fly into Marathon, you can walk to the Home Depot from the airport. Boot Key harbor is just around the corner, I'm pretty certain you could assembly your craft there. There is a marina there with shower and bathrooms. There is a Winn Dixie grocery store just down the road from HD, as is Walmart and other stores. Boot Key Harbor has every possible type of craft hanging out there, you'd blend right in and nobody would bat an eye.
You could rent a truck or car for a day or two at the airport and round up all your bits and pieces and get the lay of the land.

In my opinion, Marathon gives you a better shot at accomplishing your goals.
Just a few miles south is Big Pine Key, where finding a quit spot to park your vehicle, construct your craft, and do your thing without anyone knowing or seeing what you are up to is highly doable. There are many canals there, with no-one living there.

I think either Marathon and/or Big Pine is w-a-a-a-a-y better than Key West to accomplish this adventure.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:28   #74

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Come on people give the guy a break. Four days and cleaning up after himself, I don't understand it but quoting this reg. and that only proves you can read.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 15:46   #75

Yeah this is great!
Why not start up a YouTube channel and a GoFundMe and make sure to film all your interactions with the local Karen's, law enforcement and local wildlife. Have a great clickbait (en)title like 'A man builds a Raft for Urban Camping, You Won't Believe What Happens Next!'
Even if nothing comes of it you are already on your way... "I trolled a Boater's Forum for Kicks and then This Happened!"
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, key west