Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Anchor Lights - Is it a Law ?

Living and sailing in the Caribbean there are many rules that are not on the books and if they are may not be enforced. I am about to replace my tri-color light on the top of my mast. Not debating if it is safe or not, is it a law in the US to have an anchor light lit on the top of the mast when at anchor. Can you have a white light on your stern or somewhere else instead? I have a light on the stern when I am in a harbor and I see a need to have it on. We purchased the bought and it came only with the tri-color light on the mast. Thanks
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:50   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite
Re: Anchor Lights is it a law?

The Regs(international regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea)
give the requirement for anchor light.

They are realy important and you should have a reasonable understanding of them.
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:54   #3

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Living and sailing in the Caribbean there are many rules that are not on the books and if they are may not be enforced. I am about to replace my tri-color light on the top of my mast. Not debating if it is safe or not, is it a law in the US to have an anchor light lit on the top of the mast when at anchor. Can you have a white light on your stern or somewhere else instead? I have a light on the stern when I am in a harbor and I see a need to have it on. We purchased the bought and it came only with the tri-color light on the mast. Thanks
Here is a summary of the USCG rules, item 7 should answer your question.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:02   #4

I think you forgot something there, Mexdon.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:03   #5

International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-11-2011, 13:06   #6

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I think you forgot something there, Mexdon.
Sorry, clicked the link but didn't check before posting.

Basic Boating Safety Course - Navigation Lights on Your Boat
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:10   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

My understanding is that you need an all around white light. I don't think it has to be on the top of the mast. I like mine down lower so that people can see them.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:17   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i keep my cockpit lighted all around so is visible -- i also have a perko oil anchor light--it hangs on a back stay or on boom low enough to not flame out...is spozed to be visible for 3 mile---my perko is that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:39   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Has to be an all-around white light, with a preference for the forward part of the vessal, though that is not required for boats under 50m.

The visibility requirements mean the light has to be a certain brightness and a certain height.

6' high gets you 3nm but really other practical considerations are probably more important like the light being above dodgers, biminis, awnings and frankly the boom and furled sail on top of it.

The masthead gets you the best geographical range and fewest obstructions, but the light may be so high that people motoring close to you boat at night don't look high enough to notice it.

My take is that about 10 or 12' is best, above the top of the furled sail including the headboard so the only obstructions are the mast and furled jib, but low enough that people close by are more likely to notice it.

With a jib furler I would be inclined to hang the light from the backstay to minimize the shadow zones for mast and furler.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:40   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

The US rules follow the Regs and you must display all round white visible from 2 miles.
Note that includes hoisting a lantern up mast as required.Additional point if lighting my boat up like a Xmass tree stopped some idiot from ramming me at night then a few watts and LED's must be worth it
I still say you should know the Regs for your own good.

From Targets link to wikipedia.

30. Lights for vessels anchored and aground
  • A vessel at anchor must display an all-round white light or one black ball in the fore part and another all-round white light at or near the stern at a lower level than the light in the fore part. BUT if the vessel is less than 50 meters in length it may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights foresaid.

From Mexidon's link

The U.S. Inland Rules apply inside the demarcation lines at the entrances to inlets, bays, rivers, etc. The demarcation lines are shown on coastal charts as magenta dashed lines. Once outside of the demarcation lines, International Rules apply.
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:46   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Anchor Lights - Is it a Law ?

There was a long and argumentative thread about this a while ago.

A very long and argumentative thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hor-58555.html
Old 08-11-2011, 13:49   #12

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The all around light is the minimum requirements.

A vessel at anchor must display an all-round white light or one black ball in the fore part and another all-round white light at or near the stern at a lower level than the light in the fore part. BUT if the vessel is less than 50 meters in length it may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights foresaid.

In other sections; it specifies lights can be any combination that meets requirements, IE two 180deg lights instead of one 360deg light. You just have to look at your boat and determine what is needed.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 14:05   #13

my boat is not miss-able in dark at anchor-looks a lot like a shrimp boat. many lights and bright. i think i havent been hassled by uscg as a direct result of that. nor has anyone ever come within 10 yards of my boat in darkness unless deliberately.
Old 08-11-2011, 14:07   #14

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my boat is not miss-able in dark at anchor-looks a lot like a shrimp boat. many lights and bright. i think i havent been hassled by uscg as a direct result of that. nor has anyone ever come within 10 yards of my boat in darkness unless deliberately.

Thats ideal however you will need a good power supply. Seems a lot of crusiers don't show anchor lights saving their limited power.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 14:16   #15

mine are solar and kerosene

Tags
anchor