Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 14:58   #16

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Thank's for that Vasco, it would appear to set as well as the Rocna, so I reckon when I go in I'll be up for one.

Have you had any issue's with the roll bar ?

Dave
Old 09-01-2007, 15:20   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
At first I thought that it might not fit on my rollers but the dealer said he'd take it back if it didn't. As you can see in my earlier posts it fits real good. The only problem is I usually have to swing it around a bit to get it right side up before pulling it through the rollers. This would happen occasionally with the Bruce but seems to happen more often with the Manson Supreme.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55   #18

Boat: Bayfield29, 31loa bowsprit
Wow, thanks for all the sharing! It's great to know other boater's views. It's true that I'm limiting myself with the same style of main anchors (the two deltas) and the bent danforth & one fortress (which works in only certain bottoms) This really helped me to do some good homework on picking another anchor for the collection.
I cruise & gunkhole in lots of soft/grassy areas, Bahamas, Gulf, Florida along with the rocky pebbly stuff of the Great lakes. White Sound Harbour in Bahamas was so soft-like pudding in some areas-, both plow anchors did what they do best: plowed and of course slowly drug.
When Angel wrapped her chain around the shank, there was a series of light wind shifts and within a few hours, the boat had gone 'round and round along with drifting forward and making curly-cue designs on the bottom with her chain. It was my boo-boo for not checking that. Then she wrapped the shank as the wind puffed up, thus the inadvertant "walk" down the bay. I think she just wanted attention and was pissed that I was partying on another sailboat (a joke). That's just a lesson to us boaters to keep on the ball, even in light & variable winds.
For a small boat like me, the chain/rode combo seems easier- at least for this situation. I have no windlass and haul by hand over a bow roller. The nylon is nicer on the gloved hands and is stretchy along with the space/weight considerations. Everything is a compromise I guess.
rebecca
s/vAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 23:06   #19

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
From my experience -

Not enough chain on the rode. I have 25 feet of 3/8 chain attached to the anchor for my 26 foot boat.

Too small of anchor for the conditions. I laugh at the anchors that come with the big power boats. My main anchor is a Super Max 12.

Not setting the anchor well enough. With this question comes another, Is your motor strong enough to set your anchor for strong winds?

Wind shifts? In Fl it is common for a 180 degree wind shift from sunset to daylight and I have seen many boats be aground because of this.

And then there is the question of which anchor and scope.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 11:45   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the great feedback Acoustic!! Good to get some nice comments rather than just the standard bagging from competition anchor manufacturers all the time.
If you do, or anyone else does, have any queries/concerns/questions about the Supremes we love to hear about them.
Manson Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 12:06   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Reading Jack's story on anchoring reminded me of one that happened to me. We were anchored inside at Norman's Cay. The current flows right through and can oppose the wind at times. In these circumstances you have to leave more than the usual space between boats as they will swing every which way. Another boat anchored pretty close to me. I said nothing as I've found over the years that it's usually a waste of time to say anything unless the other skipper asks if I'm alright with it. Sure enough, around nightfall, when the tide changed he was so near me I could have touched him. I suggested he might like to move as we were much too close. His reply was," why didn't you tell me earlier, it's dark now!" He then suggested we could take turns staying up all night to watch the boats! I told him I intended to sleep that night. He finally did move.
Old 17-01-2007, 14:50   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
I laugh at the anchors that come with the big power boats.
Right?? I know what you mean. The marina I'm in right now has a boat dealership with several new Carvers. The quality of that particular boat is another thread entirely, but the anchors they use remind me of paper clips tied to dental floss.

I mean these 50 foot, 3 deck boats have *serious* windage and yet the anchors are tiny 35lber deltas and whatnot. Ouch.

While I'm complaining... 1 out of every 3 boats here is incorrectly cleated. The things these people do with their lines... Some do something looking like a basket weave over the cleat, others do loopdie loo's around and around with nothing else, yet others just take an eye splice and *drape* it over the cleat on the dock. No looping it through... just looping it around and then cleating off on their vessel with the bitter end. It's a wonder any of the boats stay put. My wife and I were thinking of snapping photos of the more comical ones for the forum. I think we will.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 15:41   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah I like that Manson Supreme. Only comment I would make is that slide in the shank. I am not sure I woul ever want to use that. How do others feel about that part.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 16:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Yeah I like that Manson Supreme. Only comment I would make is that slide in the shank. I am not sure I woul ever want to use that. How do others feel about that part.
I would'nt be happy sleeping with it on the slide, but for using it in areas eg: reef and rock, for the day while fishing, or diving I reckon it would be pretty good.

I have had to leave anchors behind before that have got jammed in very sharky, murky water and there was no way I was diving on it for retreival.

Dave
Old 17-01-2007, 16:07   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I dont use the long rock slot on my boat and I make them....BUT I have a seperate grapnel for rocky anchorages.
Smaller boats/fishing boats/tenders etc tend to use the long slot more often when they dont want to carry seperate anchors yet they do want to anchor in rocky areas.
Manson Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 16:12   #26

I did have a proper 5 pronged reef anchor on my last cat with 5/8 bendable barb's.

I just had concerns that on the next cat being 50 foot, that this may not hold, and that anything thicker I could never bend back into shape.

Dave
Old 17-01-2007, 20:19   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I made a SST grapnel for use on rock. I would onlyu ever use it under supervision when fishing. I can bend the grapnels with the boat. But yeah, as you also feel, I don't want them any stronger that they don't bend either.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:33   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Wheels:
Who supervises you, when you’re fishing?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor