Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 15:59   #16

Re: Anchor chain jumps, Anchor drops back down

I assumed this was a horizontal windlass, but evidently not...? They come out or override a lot I've found. Was your vertical windlass installed with a tapered wedge betwixt it and the deck to make the angle of the chain roller to gypsy correct?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 16:02   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

No the angle looks fine and I don't think there is any issue with the windlass install. The pull looks pretty straight per the instructions.
Old 25-09-2014, 14:10   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

It can be an issue with axis location. If it was suited to some anchor originally provided with the boat, the balance may be not so good with new anchor, making the rotation of anchor to horizontal position being to rapid and causing problem by releasing the tension in the chain for a moment.
Anchor should rotate slowly and with steady tension on the chain. If it rotates rapidly, with releasing the chain it is the problem with tandem roller.

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 14:12   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
It can be an issue with axis location. If it was suited to some anchor originally provided with the boat, the balance may be not so good with new anchor, making the rotation of anchor to horizontal position being to rapid and causing problem by releasing the tension in the chain for a moment.
Anchor should rotate slowly and with steady tension on the chain. If it rotates rapidly, with releasing the chain it is the problem with tandem roller.

Cheers,

Tomasz
I've always kind of blamed it on that the boat came with a 45# Delta and now has a 60# Manson Supreme. But even though I've had a work around method for 4 years I feel I need to "fix" the issue.
Old 25-09-2014, 14:14   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

You may want to check the axis on which your tandem rollers do rotate. If something (may be corrosion or some other problem) does not allow the tandem rollers to rotate freely - the "snap rotation" can be a possibility, after overcoming the blockade by the windlass, I think.
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 02:31   #21

Boat: Contest 38

I had the same problem which was caused by the anchor and the chain pivoting up. I resolved this by mounting a roller in a bracket in front of the windlass and running the chain under the roller. This kept the chain horizontal so it didn't jump off the gypsy.
Catherine S/V Gentle Rain II
gentlerain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor