Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 15:32   #1

Boat: 2003 Beneteau Oceanis 331
1st Anchor/Rode purchase

Hi all,

New-ish sailor here - about a year into my adventure. I have a 2003 Beneteau 331 (Displacement: 11173 lbs./ 5068 kgs.) which I purchased in July of last year. The previous owner put an under-sized anchor system (22lb Delta, 6 ft of chain and 200 ft of rode) on it to sell it (he's a good guy and mentioned it to me as a heads-up) and I'm trying to now make it right for me and my family. I've poured through these forums for advice as well as studied many books and youtube videos.

I've settled on a 33lb Rocna, 35 feet of chain and about 150-175 ft of rode. We will doing most of our anchoring in the Chesapeake - with some eventual trips to the Cape May, NJ area to see family. Beyond that...who knows :-)

Two questions for the group:

1. Am I making a solid choice for my new anchor setup?
2. The rode (rope) on the current system looks pretty brand-new. Can I save myself a few hundred bucks by re-using this (cut it and have the shop re-splice it to the new chain)?

Thanks all - appreciate your expertise and guidance as always.

Joe
"Azimuth"
JoeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 15:48   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: 1st Anchor/Rode purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoc View Post
Hi all,

New-ish sailor here - about a year into my adventure. I have a 2003 Beneteau 331 (Displacement: 11173 lbs./ 5068 kgs.) which I purchased in July of last year. The previous owner put an under-sized anchor system (22lb Delta, 6 ft of chain and 200 ft of rode) on it to sell it (he's a good guy and mentioned it to me as a heads-up) and I'm trying to now make it right for me and my family. I've poured through these forums for advice as well as studied many books and youtube videos.

I've settled on a 33lb Rocna, 35 feet of chain and about 150-175 ft of rode. We will doing most of our anchoring in the Chesapeake - with some eventual trips to the Cape May, NJ area to see family. Beyond that...who knows :-)

Two questions for the group:

1. Am I making a solid choice for my new anchor setup?
2. The rode (rope) on the current system looks pretty brand-new. Can I save myself a few hundred bucks by re-using this (cut it and have the shop re-splice it to the new chain)?

Thanks all - appreciate your expertise and guidance as always.

Joe
"Azimuth"
Hi, I would suggest the viewing of anchors setting by steve of SV Panope here on this site, a great resource and you may find that it answers your questions.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 20:06   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My opinion:

1. Your choice is fine, but you could substitute a similar size Manson Supreme or a Mantus or a Spade or just about any other new gen anchor without hesitation if a better deal came along. Despite all the arguments favoring one or another, they are all good anchors and have pretty similar performance. You might want to consider a fortress as well, for they are unmatched in holding power in soft substrates. The others are, again IMO, better all round anchors if you should leave the Chessie.

2. You didn't say what diameter the old rode is and that would influence the decision. IMO you would want a minimum of 14 mm nylon rode, so if the old one is that or better, there is no reason not to keep it. If it is three strand rope, the splice to the chain is pretty easy to learn... a skill that will stand you in good stead in the future. Having to depend upon others to do this basic seaman's task isn't a good outlook!

Good anchoring to ya,mate!

Jim
Old 05-07-2018, 20:21   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ I'm on the same page as Jim is but I'm thinking 35' chain is really the absolute minimum amount needed.

If you have a windlass with a rope/chain gypsy, I would suggest more chain, at least double (70').
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 20:27   #5

Keep the present system as a backup or stern anchor if you want to keep the bow into a swell at night. As Jim said, the present rode might be the correct size and be fine. Unless you have a windlass that will run your nylon and chain without doing anything, I might suggest putting eye splices at the end of the nylon , so that you can change chain or anchor without having to cut the line or re-splice the line. Before you do that, check that an eye splice with thimble will fit thru your chain pipe. That sometimes limits your choices. There are lots of choices and most will work fine as long as you dont go with some anchor that has all of the weight of a watch charm. Whatever you go with, remember that a little oversize is better than a little undersize. Best of luck. ___Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 20:46   #6

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Hello,

I have little to no experience but sounds like your making an appropriate upgrade. I looked at the Rockna and Mantus and ended up with a Mantus since West Marine price matched and gave me a dirty deal considering I built up points and got free shipping. So as someone here mentioned check out all the great videos here of anchors setting and it really appears most of the new generation anchors are wonderful in ability to set rapidly and hold well.

I have a 28.5 foot Columbia with displacement of about 7400 lbs dry and I opted for the 25lbs mantus for primary and a 35lbs version for heavy weather use. Since your significantly heavier than me I would go up a size but I have been known to go bigger than needed in some things.

I just figured there will be few times when I am upset I have so stout an anchor, but like I said working in emergency management just makes me more prone to go overboard when safety is on the line.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 20:57   #7

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

1. Yes but more chain
2. Yes but better kept as a spare
...and watch for windlass compatibility.

In other words, what they said
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 21:28   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
1. Yes but more chain
2. Yes but better kept as a spare
...and watch for windlass compatibility.

In other words, what they said
For you and others: there was NO mention of a windlass. I believe the OP intends to "armstrong" it... part of why I said 14 mm or greater!

Jim
Old 06-07-2018, 02:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Joe.

All good advice, especially from Grant & Jim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:42   #10

Boat: Valiant 40
1st Anchor/Rode purchase

As others have said your choices are fine. I believe that 35’ of chain is adequate for your intended usage: you’ll rarely be anchoring in more than 20’ of water. It’s enough chain to reliably set that anchor.

I agree with Jim: if another new gen anchor shows up at a better price, go for it. Also, splicing three strand is stupidly easy. I’m sure there are videos on YT on how to do it and you’re going to want to keep an eye on that splice as it wears and redo it at some point. Also save money on splicing your own three strand dock lines.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:28   #11

Boat: Cal 33-2

I also agree that your proposed upgraded anchoring system looks good.

But you do need a second anchor and rode. The Delta is OK for that, but where your are, a Fortress is a better choice. I have an FX-16 for my 33 footer on Long Island Sound.
Much lighter and thus easier to handle when needed. And works great in the soft bottoms that you will be seeing.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:24   #12

My 25 years of anchoring in the Chesapeake bay tells me that your setup will be just about right. Almost anywhere you anchor in the bay will be a soft muddy bottom and when you pull up that 35' of chain it will usually look like a 35' long tube of grey mud, just waiting to get all over you, the anchor locker, and the deck. Consider adding a wash down pump...

Adding more chain just means more weight in the bow, more mud and brings along the complication of a chain stopper or chain hook arrangement, which you don't need right now.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 19:17   #13

Boat: 2003 Beneteau Oceanis 331

You guys are just fantastic - thanks! I'm taking all of this great advice into account. I've been out on a mooring ball (dreaming of someday, maybe, not paying $30/night) on Back Creek in Annapolis with spotty Wifi since my OP. Honestly, we (my wife and two kids, 8 & 5) loved not having the Wifi and had a blast just doing simple things and are now home (dreaming of getting back out there). A few things:

1. I should have mentioned in my OP - I do have a windlass and am mindful of the the right chain match (5/16). I had not yet looked carefully at rode size (thanks for pointing this out JimCate - so much to learn) - but my current quote is for 5/8 BRAIT NYLON. I need to check what my current rode is. If I don't have to "Armstrong" (ha!) it - is your recommendation for 14mm still a good general guideline?
2. I should have also mentioned that the boat also came with a Bruce Clone anchor in the lazerette (I don't know size) as a backup anchor. I hadn't considered keeping the Delta as a back-up or stern anchor but now am (thanks Grant!) and looking at Fortress as well (thanks JimsCAL).
3. Just added learning how to do a three-strand splice to my to-do list - queuing up YouTube videos now (thanks Suijin). I may pay an expert to do it this time but will absolutely learn this craft before we set off for longer distances.
4. I thought a Rocna was a new-gen anchor (again, so much to learn) but am now researching further and checking out Mantus (thanks JimCate and 406Columbia) as well.
5. I would really love to add more chain (thanks Tillsbury and Wotname) but am mindful of the weight up there on the bow especially since my water tank is right up there too.
6. My two recent sessions of anchor practice led to some long tubes of grey mud - just as DougR advertised - and a wash-down pump (thanks!) has just been added to the boat list :-).

Finally, thanks for the welcome GordMay and the video reco Uncle Bob!

Sincere thanks to all that replied. Your advice is greatly appreciated by this novice sailor!

Joe Doc
"Azimuth"
Beneteau 331
JoeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, purchase, rode