Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 13:08   #16

Re: Will this dinghy be stable

About the two camps-
Actually I don't need it to either plane or row well. I will just motor it calmly with my groceries. It'll be used as my tender and I'm in no hurry, it can go slow. Just needs to be STABLE and durable and low maintenance.
sailor Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 13:46   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Is it really as wedge-shaped as the picture shows? That's kinda bizarre, and may contribute enough buoyancy aft to compensate for the missing tube extensions. 'Course, it may not...

Jim
Old 04-01-2019, 14:04   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Will this dinghy be stable

Assumption is they may live aboard and not really cruise, and may have no need to stow the dinghy.
If so, then this or a “tinny” aka Jon Boat is likely a good choice.
Just like a Jon Boat has no aft floatation and doesn’t flip, I doubt this will either, for the $ it’s likely a good deal, but it’s not a “real” dinghy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 15:17   #19

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Any dinghy you buy should be able to be rowed at least reasonably. Small outboard motors are notorious for starting problems when you need to go now. Always have usable oars and know how to use them.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:55   #20

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I don't see any issue with stability. Look at the Walker bay line of sinks and many others. All have flat transoms with nothing behind them.

So you're motoring back with your groceries and the motor conks out as they ALWAYS do at some point. You will need to row. It should row better than an inflatable but most likely not as good as others. That may or may not become an issue depending when your motor decides not to work. Usually at the most inopportune times lol
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:57   #21

Boat: Currently in between

I think from the sounds of it this dinghy may serve your purpose. If it is a little stern heavy I'm sure you will work out a solution, i.e. tiller extension.

However, I would start at $60 with negotiations! I doubt the seller has hoards of folks beating down his/her door to buy that thing..
Old 05-01-2019, 10:56   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

It looks quite stable for the size.
The diameter of the tubes are unknown and the biggest factor in how much freeboard it will have with 2 adults in it.
I imagine that like any small dingy, you will have to watch out for too much weight on any corner. The bow looks quite low and wet. If budget allows I would find the largest diameter tube inflatable with a high bow instead
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:07   #23

Boat: Beneteau

It's 120 bucks! At the very least you can row it and count the exercise as a gain.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:43   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

For $100 it's worth a try and if it proves worthless as a dingy you can always put it in the backyard and fill it with water for the kids or grandkids to play in. I suspect it will function better in the latter usage.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:26   #25

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

It appears that the wide transom is an attempt to compensate for needed buoyancy in the stern, so being there by a small outboard shouldn't cause a capsize.....unless the pointed and tiny bow were to encounter waves/wind of any size/strength. Flat water transfer from boat to shore shouldn't be a problem, though.

I would be concerned about the unnaturally extreme triangular shape making it hard for rowing as well as handling at dockside, and possibly even creating resistance through the water for a small outboard.
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:44   #26

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

This looks like a molded plastic job, if so it is likely to be almost indestructible. Cant see the bottom, if it is flat like the visible deck she is going to be limited in any chop. Otherwise looks like a great and very economical work-boat.
Yes I would be concerned about balance even with a small outboard but that is easily solved. Just bolt a frame on the transom and mount a float each side behind the tube to extend them behind the O/B. Would probably improve performance as well.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 19:53   #27
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor Martin View Post
I will use it as my tender. Just getting to and off the boat. I live on my yacht in a usually quiet anchorage. I can buy this one for 120$. I'm just wondering about if it'll have a tendency to flip over backwards because the tubes don't extend backwards as in other dinghys.
It looks like a kids toy. Ugly dinghy? Who cares. You live on a "yacht". Flip them the bird. You want to use it as a frigging dinghy mate. $120. Buy it. If it doesn't work out give it to someone anchored nearby or let it float with the tide. If you live on a "yacht" I am confident you often drop $120 or more ashore for dinner.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 22:03   #28

It is annoying that some people think that all yachties spend 120$ for dinner. Most don't. I live on a 25' boat made in 1986. It's value is around 10000$. I have sailed it from the Mediterranean to Australia. Living on a small cheap sailboat an be very economical.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:04   #29
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor Martin View Post
It is annoying that some people think that all yachties spend 120$ for dinner. Most don't. I live on a 25' boat made in 1986. It's value is around 10000$. I have sailed it from the Mediterranean to Australia. Living on a small cheap sailboat an be very economical.
Terribly Sorry, annoying you was not my intention. Originally you referred to your boat as a yacht. Now that is somewhat pretentious and misleading. What you in fact have is a small sailboat or as you have now described "a small cheap sailboat".
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Terribly Sorry, annoying you was not my intention. Originally you referred to your boat as a yacht. Now that is somewhat pretentious and misleading. What you in fact have is a small sailboat or as you have now described "a small cheap sailboat".

You are obviously a reliable authority when it comes to definitions. But an experienced sailors you are probably not. This is a website for people who see themselves as cruisers. People who are actually trying to get second opinions from others like them. Please leave us in peace.
I will not respond to any angry reply you might have to me hurting your ego.

P. S.
My sail boat is also a small yacht.

Tags
dinghy