Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 06:57   #31

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Will this dinghy be stable

Fritz, in much of the world, outside of the USA, any sailboat is referred to as a yacht. It has no implication of size or luxury the way it does in here in the USA.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:38   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

^^^^^ +1 x1000! ^^^^^

just means a sailboat, as opposed to a stinkpot
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:44   #33

My guess is it will be fine with that small motor. But not fine otherwise!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 13:59   #34

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

It would not be my choice--but the tubes are wider at the stern, giving more flotation there. Only a small outboard would do, an air-cooled Honda for instance.

I prefer these--if you want plastic you can stand up in them and stand on the gunwale as you climb aboard.

https://www.polycraft.com.au/model-r...00-tuff-tender

The one I have is safety yellow. Filled with foam, (an option) they are accepted by SOLAS as a lifeboat hull.
My Polycraft will take a heavy 15 HP outboard--my friend uses a ten horsepower on his but on mine I use a 3.5 Yamaha and it does me fine. It rows beautifully and easily and on mine I have a Bimini because I like to fish close to rocks and reefs, and the sun is merciless here. Try THAT on an inflatable,

There is a much lighter model now available, same hull form, but which will only take a 6.5 horsepower engine. Lighter to lift and carry, less strain on davits. I like the heavy one myself. I have gotten used to it. It is satisfyingly solid when I get into it, and because I use it as a trailer when camping, is more suited to my lifestyle.

New Zealand makes one similar--and I am not sure about America, but these are such a great little camping and fishing boat when not being used as a tender. Two adults can lift the hull and carry it to the water. Also cheaper and more long-lived than any tender worth a damn. I got five years out of a Zodiac, and it was only because of constant repairs. I have bounced off rocks, sharp twigs, mangroves, even dragged it up shingle on occasions with not the slightest worry about punctures.

If the US does not have something similar I would be astonished. If they do not, someone should get a licence and make them there. I pack mine with tents, sleeping bags and gear, put a cover over it, and have towed it on its trailer into some really interesting places. It is a few years old now and looks as new as the day I bought it. It has not faded at all. The UV protection must be excellent.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:45   #35

Boat: Tartan 37

What HP is it rated for ?
Does it have a v bottom?
How much does it weigh?
My first tender was a walker bay with a 2hp Yamaha it worked fine In protected areas.
sweetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:01   #36

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor Martin View Post
I'm thinking to buy this 3 meter long plastic dinghy.
I notice that the tubes do not extend backwards from the engine bracket. I'm worried that with the load of an outboard + 1 adolt on the Stern, it will capsize backwards.
Does anybody have experience with these kind of design and can tell his impression?

Thanks
Gal
This is about as ugly a dingy as I have seen. Shaped like a inflatable, but not an inflatable! What is the point? Stable? Probably from side to side. It won't capsize backwards but it probably will take water over the stern, lots of it.

Buy an inflatable or a proper fiberglass or alum boat. Have some pride.
Old 11-01-2019, 16:24   #37

Boat: SeaQuest 3000

Is is probably the ugliest poly boat that I have seen. Most are ugly as they are cheaply built. There are only a couple of exceptions.

The boat will not tip backwards with a motor. You can test this by attempting to stand on the transom with all of your weight. It will probably be stable at rest due to the width and this too can be tested by standing on the gunwales.

There are many new good designs of poly boats, but they cost 20x as much new. It’s a bargain and you have nothing to lose.
JoeBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy