Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 10:07   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33t
West Marine c310 which motor

it's the compact one that folds up. I wanted electric, but I just don't think they are there yet for the pricepoint. I don't want to try to deal with 2 giant batteries and a wire going over to the motor.
Part of the issue is loading/unloading the motor. I've rigged a harness/pully but I'm leaning towards a 6hp since they are about 55lbs instad of 85 pounds for the 8-10hp range. Since we're in the US the 2 strokes aren't around.
The redneck in me wants the more hp cause well, more hp. But I'm really wondering if in bad weather the extra weight/struggle with the 8-10hp range and external tank versus lighter weight and the tank in the motor for the 6hp motor.
But I also don't want to constantly wish I had more speed to get back to the boat at a mooring field in crappy weather.

So, 6hp and much lighter/cheaper? or 10hp and much heavier?
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:18   #2

Re: West Marine c310 which motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
it's the compact one that folds up. I wanted electric, but I just don't think they are there yet for the pricepoint. I don't want to try to deal with 2 giant batteries and a wire going over to the motor.
Part of the issue is loading/unloading the motor. I've rigged a harness/pully but I'm leaning towards a 6hp since they are about 55lbs instad of 85 pounds for the 8-10hp range. Since we're in the US the 2 strokes aren't around.
The redneck in me wants the more hp cause well, more hp. But I'm really wondering if in bad weather the extra weight/struggle with the 8-10hp range and external tank versus lighter weight and the tank in the motor for the 6hp motor.
But I also don't want to constantly wish I had more speed to get back to the boat at a mooring field in crappy weather.

So, 6hp and much lighter/cheaper? or 10hp and much heavier?
There are a lot of assumptions here.

1) In a blow, the faster you go, the wetter you get, particularly in a head sea. running downwind isn't as bad, but your still going to get wet at speed when there is white capped chop on the water.

2) You make the assumption that you will use speed to get to a mooring, when, in fact, mooring fields I've been too are no wake with 5 mph speed limits.

Also....you will not be able to get on plane with a 310 rib and a 6hp 4 stroke motor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 17:41   #3

Boat: Catalina 445
Re: West Marine c310 which motor

I have had the West Marine 310 with inflatable floor and a 6hp Mercury 4-stroke for 9 years. With two adults and relatively smooth water, she will get up on a plane, no problem.
Joe K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, motor