Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 15:24   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
My new PFD type 1...

Since this thread caused me to check our Oz regulations I found out that, since I was rowing alone to my boat in a dinghy under 18' I have to wear a PFD. I probably could have gotten away with a PFD type 2 (enclosed waters), but there is little difference in price so I brought a type 1 (open waters, holds head above water if unconscious).

Wore it for the first time a few days ago. The comparison with a seat belt is spot on. It really does feel better to wear it, particularly knowing my tiny dinghy is very hard to see as boats cut though my mooring field and if I slip climbing onto the big boat its not the end of the world. The one I got did allow me to row, climb onto the boat and to walk around inside with little difficulty. Maybe even better as the padding means less chance of injury if I stumble.

Its winter here now so a full lifejacket is fine, and better suited to its spending some time in the boot of my car. I can see myself using an auto inflate when the weather warms up though.

For those who are considering buying a new PFD to comply with the new regulations I found that there are 3 or 4 sizes (and the ones I tried did not seem to parallel clothing sizes) for those of us who are (unfortunately) over 60kg so putting on before buying could be indicated.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 15:52   #107

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Re: My new PFD type 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Its winter here now so a full lifejacket is fine, and better suited to its spending some time in the boot of my car. I can see myself using an auto inflate when the weather warms up though.

For those who are considering buying a new PFD to comply with the new regulations I found that there are 3 or 4 sizes (and the ones I tried did not seem to parallel clothing sizes) for those of us who are (unfortunately) over 60kg so putting on before buying could be indicated.
After I helped the governments revenue I bought a stormy life jacket Stormy Australia - Shop for Lifejackets, PFDs, Rescue Grenades, Wet Weather Gear, Inflatable Fenders, Sailing, Yachting, Boating, Water, Buy, Lifejacket, Life Jacket, Vest, Yoke, Jacket, Life Jackets, PFD its just like a parker not bad in fact I even used it $30 for a refill when I could have just climbed back on if it hadent gone off, but that story belongs in another thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15032011209.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	28270  

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 15:58   #108
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: My new PFD type 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I probably could have gotten away with a
If you can wait until the morning...you know those t-shirts that are done up to look like a tuxedo jacket & shirt?

Give me a couple of hours, I'll put up a t-shirt for sale that looks like an inflateable PFD, your choice of red or blue.

I just KNEW there was a pony in this pile! <VBG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 17:00   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: USCG Considers Mandatory PFD Use !

Cripes- some folks will b*^h about anything.

Just to clarify, no one is saying that you have to wear a PFD on your whatever 46.

Second, (aside from some British paddelers) 99% of the people who have spent time on small boats just wear a PFD as a matter of course. The PFD I used has a PLB, flares, snack bar, and a dog tag... just in case. Would it make sense to wear one on a solo transpac or transatlantic? Don't know- interesting philosophical discussion. But for coastal cruising it definitely does.

As far as hypothermia- yes if you are in Alaska or the Bering Sea save the money. You'll die first. But as someone who has taken one or two unexpected swims in warmer waters- the PFD will keep heat in your core. I will not guess how much time it adds but it has to be something.

As a separate issue- when was the last time anyone inspected the auto-inflate sensor, or the compressed gas in their suspenders?

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 17:05   #110

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
By all (including adults) in any vessel less than 18'!

Boat/US Story

Sure did and just saw this today.

I guess mods attract a lot more pages..............

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ear-61680.html
Old 08-06-2011, 17:19   #111

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Interesting question comes to mind. Assuming that this actually goes into effect (I am assuming it does), then the mechanics become a bit of an issue. Many folks meet the current rule in their dink with one of those "6-pack" bags with 6 PFD's in it. Meets the rule, easy to manage, not overly pilferable. Fast forward to the future. You are taking the dink ashore with 4 folks for dinner. Unless you are willing to wear those "meets the regs and that's it" PFD's, you are going to have some higher quality units -- and from what everyone here is saying, that means inflatable at $100 each. Now you are talking pilferable!

Anybody have any good thoughts on how to make sure those PFD's are still in your Avon when you get back? A cable, snaked through all the webbing, perhaps? Some sort of a lockable box? Carry them with you to the restaurant?

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 17:19   #112

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: USCG Considers Mandatory PFD Use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjop View Post
How many citations need written in order to fund this Florida Wildlife Commission miniature destroyer based out of Carrabelle, FL? How many people are taxed into the poor house in relation the alleged approximate 500 people per year that mandatory life vest would prevent (assuming, of course, everyone followed the law). Regulations are a necessity of this complex society within which we live. Isn't all a cost-benefit analysis. It seems not to the folks drafting some of these regulations. But, hey the more regulation, the more funding, the more jobs, the more power, the more benefits, etc. ad nausem.
What should get you going is the estimate was only 70 or so.
Old 08-06-2011, 17:50   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Interesting question comes to mind. Assuming that this actually goes into effect (I am assuming it does), then the mechanics become a bit of an issue. Many folks meet the current rule in their dink with one of those "6-pack" bags with 6 PFD's in it. Meets the rule, easy to manage, not overly pilferable. Fast forward to the future. You are taking the dink ashore with 4 folks for dinner. Unless you are willing to wear those "meets the regs and that's it" PFD's, you are going to have some higher quality units -- and from what everyone here is saying, that means inflatable at $100 each. Now you are talking pilferable!

Anybody have any good thoughts on how to make sure those PFD's are still in your Avon when you get back? A cable, snaked through all the webbing, perhaps? Some sort of a lockable box? Carry them with you to the restaurant?

Harry
I was thinking about that too.

Perhaps RFID in them and a scanner so you could track the bastages. But then you would have to buy the marinised version (water proof) and carry that to dinner.

It sure seems like too much too me.

Either way.
Old 08-06-2011, 18:11   #114

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore
Cripes- some folks will b*^h about anything.

Just to clarify, no one is saying that you have to wear a PFD on your whatever 46.

Second, (aside from some British paddelers) 99% of the people who have spent time on small boats just wear a PFD as a matter of course.
I disagree. I don't know anyone who wears a PDF in their dink. Yes in a kayak, yes in a 420 etc. But not in a dink on the way to their boat. What a PITA that would be.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 18:18   #115

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds
I'm not a fan of government rules of this type.

However, at this point in time I have worn a PFD, with a handheld VHF w/gps clipped to it, on all outings in my Pearson. Seems prudent to me, at my experience level and swimming ability.

Anyone else out there regularly wear a PFD?
At my age I probably could not swim 20 feet fully clothed, so I put mine on before stepping off the dock.
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 18:21   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
I disagree. I don't know anyone who wears a PDF in their dink. Yes in a kayak, yes in a 420 etc. But not in a dink on the way to their boat. What a PITA that would be.
Oh my. You just hit on a new one. I try and keep as much on my boat as I can, so I can minimize the hauling back and forth. I stay at a pier, so I'm set -- but how do folks on a mooring handle it? In fact, how do they do it now? What a PITA! The dink stays in the dingy rack, but the PFD's have to be hauled home and back every time? Wow!
Harry
Old 08-06-2011, 18:26   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
At my age I probably could not swim 20 feet fully clothed, so I put mine on before stepping off the dock.
And you hit the precise issue! You feel that you should wear one 100% of the time for your situation, and that's fine. But because of some other folk who also should, but don't, they are going to mandate it for everyone everywhere. That's the problem. When you can point to person "A" and say, see, he should and he isn't, then we will include person "B" in the rules -- and that's where the problem begins.

How will they deal with swimmers? How long can a swimmer be on the boat, getting ready to jump off, before they have to put on a PFD? In fact, how do they do that now with kids?

Harry
Old 08-06-2011, 23:04   #118

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Wow. After reading through 117 posts I'm still just thinking how am I going to fit an 18.5 foot tender on my davits!
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 23:49   #119

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
Wow. After reading through 117 posts I'm still just thinking how am I going to fit an 18.5 foot tender on my davits!
A 10ft tender with a 8.6ft bow spirit

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:53   #120

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
For time immemorial, nature has used a process of natural selection to IMPROVE almost all living things on the planet. Mankind (and worthy of note... Only RECENT Mankind) has endeavored to bring everything within the common denominator of the stupidest, clumsiest, least ambitious, and least capable of those among us.

I might also add that this is mostly a "Western", first world trait; in the "lesser" developed places I've been, I have noticed quite a lack of effort to debunk Mr Darwin. The point of my rambling is that somewhere we need to say enough is enough! Somewhere we need to encourage personal responsibility, and liability for one's actions. Last year in Mexico, I was walking down the street and encountered an excavation for some sort of utility.... There were no fences, no tape, no cones... No warning whatsoever! The locals explained it to me that THEY were smart enough to not fall in the hole, and if one unfortunately did...... There were no lawyers to file suit!

IMHO, the whole "protect the masses from themselves" is not altruistically driven, but rather a product of greed.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pfd