Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 17:49   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Mandating Adult Life Jacket Wear

Anybody else seen this?

http://www.boatusmagazine.com/boatus/20110607#pg24

It is actually page 22 but it is in their June/July 2011 issue.

"82 million people participated in boating in 2010.....736 people died......if a 70% wear rate was achieved, mandating boaters nation wide to wear life jackets in boats less than 18 feet could save 71 lives each year."

What do you all think?
Old 01-06-2011, 17:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Mandating adult life jacket wear

We wear seat belts and almost never need them. Why not start thinking the same about life jackets? When you need them you will be glad you were wearing them.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 18:01   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Do the math..........71 divided by 81 milliom = .00008%. Is all the time spent on the litigation and other BS worth it? Personal responsibility is the answer to all the things that the legislators are attempting to shove down our throats.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 18:02   #4

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

I wear mine all whenever I'm underway, mainly because I can barely swim. The stats are quite depressing on this stuff- 40% of victims were within 6 feet of safety.

Cold Water Boot Camp

In my opinion, all the Great Lakes qualify as "cold water".
Old 01-06-2011, 18:09   #5

Boat: Beneteau 41S5

Personal responsibility and personal choices should be PERSONAL. Once the camel's nose is under the tent.... I understand California will soon make smoking in your home illegal if children are present! Is it wrong to smoke when YOUR OWN children are present? Of course! Is it the government's responsibility to mandate it? NO!!!

If you, as an ADULT, choose to not wear a PFD, that should be your choice. What next? And there will always be a next. "I'm from the government and I'll help you to figure out how I should direct you to live."

No thanks.
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 18:14   #6

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

More big brother. More government employees. More restrictions on freedom. See posted statistic above. Sheer lunacy. NH has NO seatbelt law. The motto is "Live free or die." It's amazing how many of them survive driving a car. It is truly a F$%^ing miracle that, as a teenager, I survived driving my 57' Chevy when THERE WAS NOT A SEATBELT IN SIGHT!
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 18:19   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

letting anyone tell me what to do and where to do it is wrong.. not that I'm against it, but I dont like being told I have to...
faced the helmet law here in Cal. a number of years ago, its a law now to wear one.. so you see folks wearing shorts, flip-flops, no shirt, but by golly, they have their helmet on while on their motorcycle..
just remember that once you let "big brother" tell you when to wear your life vest, you've opened the door for "mods" to the law and soon, all people aboard will have to wear a vest while on-bnoard 100% of the time no-matter how big your boat is..
so lets look at it another way, your down below, anchor is set, you and the other half are in the aft state-room and you've just taken a little blue pill..
so as your busy bumping heads against the head board, you hear a knock on the hull and by-golly, its the life-vest patrol, and you're not wearing yours..
before anyone starts figuring out how many people it will save, you better think of how it will affect you in the future..................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 18:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mandating adult life jacket wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Anybody else seen this?

http://www.boatusmagazine.com/boatus/20110607#pg24

It is actually page 22 but it is in their June/July 2011 issue.

"82 million people participated in boating in 2010.....736 people died......if a 70% wear rate was achieved, mandating boaters nation wide to wear life jackets in boats less than 18 feet could save 71 lives each year."

What do you all think?
I think this is a chance for 'Doing a Bumfuzzle'.....
Lifejacket Futures Market....
Get in line behind the Editor of Boat US......

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 18:22   #9
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

On the bright side; a new reason why larger boats are better
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 18:40   #10

Laws regarding PFD's can get pretty silly sometimes. Here's an example.

A few years ago my wife and I went on a Boy Scout outing on a river. All they boys, none over 9 years old, floated the river on inner tubes. My wife and I took a canoe so we could carry drinks and give some of the boys a ride if they got tired of tubing.

The boys were perfectly legal to float on a inner tube with no PFD's, regardless of age. Because my wife and I were in our canoe, we got pulled over by conservation officers to make sure we had PFD's. (which we did) Immediately after the conservation officer incident, a boy fell off his tube, got a foot stuck in some underwater branches and I had to get him out before he drowned. No kidding, he was going to.

By law in our state, a child can float on an inner tube with no PFD, but adults are required to have them in a canoe. How much sense does that make?

On our sailboat when underway, the PFD's are pulled out for immediate access if needed, not stowed below. We, like most of you, have the common sense as to know when we need to put them on. We don't need any more regulations passed by folks in local and federal governments that have absolutely no idea why they are passing a law except for some paid lobbyist told them it was a good idea.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 18:55   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
On the bright side; a new reason why larger boats are better

My boys asked me what we were to do with our 20 something year old 16' Jon boat.

I said a new 20ft'r would be cool huh.

Nods all around.
Old 02-06-2011, 18:35   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

1. Buy stock in PFD company.
2. Lobby for universal mandatory PFD use. Preferably, PFDs built to a new spec that only your company meets.
3. Retire on your profits and move someplace where PFDs are not mandatory.

You see, you CAN win at this game, but first you have to grasp the rules of it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 18:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
1. Buy stock in PFD company.
2. Lobby for universal mandatory PFD use. Preferably, PFDs built to a new spec that only your company meets.
3. Retire on your profits and move someplace where PFDs are not mandatory.

You see, you CAN win at this game, but first you have to grasp the rules of it.

I have always appreciated how smart you really are.

Salute!!
Old 29-06-2011, 10:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post
Personal responsibility and personal choices should be PERSONAL. Once the camel's nose is under the tent.... I understand California will soon make smoking in your home illegal if children are present! Is it wrong to smoke when YOUR OWN children are present? Of course! Is it the government's responsibility to mandate it? NO!!!

If you, as an ADULT, choose to not wear a PFD, that should be your choice. What next? And there will always be a next. "I'm from the government and I'll help you to figure out how I should direct you to live."

No thanks.
Surely the whole point of a system of law is that it is decided what is acceptable to a society and what is not, and then the unacceptable is made illegal. So it IS the governments job to DECIDE when it is appropriate to legislate. That's in fact their most fundamental job, the creation and upholding of a system of law. All laws interfere with personal freedom. Elected officials decide how regulation and personal freedom interact.

An ideal system of law is in line with what is considered morally wrong. So you could say if smoking next to your kids is wrong, it SHOULD also be illegal.

It is clear that not everything can be left to personal responsibility. Where to draw the line is the question. Murder is illegal. Getting so fat on ice cream that you have a heart attack is not illegal, for obvious reasons. So somewhere in between is where the line is drawn - maybe related to harm to others, vs. yourself, and the degree of that harm.

As the main person harmed if you drown is yourself, maybe that's an argument against a mandate? But if I were a coastguard or other rescuer who spends most summer weekends fishing corpses out of the water, I might might feel differently.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-06-2011, 10:50   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mandating Adult Life Jacket Wear

rofl--sail more in mexico--isnt mandatory here --havent been checked for any kind of life saving device nor flashlite after dark or otherwise while out inm y kayak or rowboat---LOl----uscg hasnt enough to do , so usa citizens have to make more work by having to have more inane laws passed to run the lives of the citizenry..is alll goood--- called job insecurity. gooodluck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
pfd