Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 03:42   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Trinka 12 horsepower and optional sailing rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Greetings. It took a while but today we put a 6 hp Yamaha to the test. Simply too much motor. Will not plane with two. Just digs a hole.
Previously we tried a 2.5 hp. It’s ok. We had hoped to get a more speed but 6 hp
is not the answer. We will try a 4 hp next. Our thinking is that using the 4 hp at half throttle will help the motor last longer than running the 2.5 hp wide open.
A bit more weight but probably not as much noise.
We will post our results for the 4 hp.
Mark the manatee.

Hello Mr. Manatee.
Considering the Yamaha 4 is basically the same motor as the 6 (same weight), wouldn’t you be able to motor at an even more reduced rpm with the 6 than the 4 thus reducing noise and wear?
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 07:05   #17

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Trinka 12 horsepower and optional sailing rigs

SMJ. The floor recognizes, The Right Honorable Gentleman from Catamaran. Dear Sir.
Thank you for your spot on post. I’m not certain exactly what the differences are between the two engines but I shall contact Yamaha. My idea in testing the 4 hp was engine longevity and noise. Perhaps your thinking is correct and that a 6 hp would be an engine under less stress. The two Yamahas weigh the same. I thought...but I am merely guessing, that the 6 simply had a larger carburetor and was set up for higher top end rpm. We shall see what Yamaha is willing to divulge. My experience with the 2.5 Yamaha: the poor thing sounds like me ...trying to run on a treadmill during a heart stress test. Huffing and puffing like a manatee in a creek with a sports fishing boat behind him. Long term survival dubious. Again, thank you for your post.
Mark ,an out of breath manatee.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing