Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 13:53   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Trinka 12 horsepower and optional sailing rigs

Greetings all. Two questions as I have recently acquired a Trinka 12. We own a Trinka 10, love it, will keep it. We can handle two tenders but often need something larger than the Trinka 10 which has a 2.5 4 stroke Yamaha. For the 12, I would prefer another 4 stroke Yamaha but have not decided on the horsepower. I would appreciate advice from those who own a Trinka 12 as to their choice of motor and comments as to the performance.
Also, anyone who has changed from the original sail plan, the mast or rigging, or added seating, decking or storage. I’m thinking Beetle Cat.
Kindest regards,
Mark the manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 14:53   #2

Re: Trinka 12 horsepower and optional sailing rigs

Hello out there. Anybody got a Trinka 12?
Old 19-05-2020, 15:25   #3

Why do you need two tenders, again?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 16:12   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

I think he’s trying to get information from other Trinka owners, not trying to buy another
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 16:18   #5

Boat: Tartan 4100

I think you'll find very few Trinka 12 owners as most will have the smaller versions. I wonder how many were built? Bruce Bingham (Trinka designer) is in Florida somewhere, perhaps he could tell you...........
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 19:11   #6

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler

I'm looking at getting a Trinka 12 as well - I just sold our Trinka 10 as it was too small for my family (3 girls age 6-12, wife, sometimes a greyhound). Sorry I don't have any recommendations on engine hp, but very curious if you think it could work as a rowing dinghy for 5?

FYI I also recommend contacting the owners directly - they've been very helpful over the years for me.
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 20:12   #7

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglebike View Post
I'm looking at getting a Trinka 12 as well - I just sold our Trinka 10 as it was too small for my family (3 girls age 6-12, wife, sometimes a greyhound). Sorry I don't have any recommendations on engine hp, but very curious if you think it could work as a rowing dinghy for 5?

FYI I also recommend contacting the owners directly - they've been very helpful over the years for me.
A bit more useful info: I found a review that lists the Trinka 12 specifications, with a 2hp max. I'd guess using the same 2.5 Yammie is the way to go.

https://issuu.com/southwinds/docs/so...ebruary2015/66
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 21:46   #8

Thank you for the replies. Mark Johannsen (not sure I spelled it correctly) lives in Florida and we have a friend (boatbuilder) in common. He actually visits the town I live in and I hope to discuss both the engine size and the rig with him this summer. I have a 2.5 Yamaha for my Trinka 10 but I think it might be too small for the Trinka 12. I understand the 12 moves right along under sail, thus it might not get too “squirrelly “ with more than two hp. The two cylinder engines are quieter, smoother and ought to last longer. True they weigh more but moving a manatee forward could easily balance the added weight aft.
I think the easiest way is to test different motors. As to the rig, I’m long past thrill sailing, hiking out or tweaking the rig, hence my question about smaller rigs. Lastly, why two tenders. Indeed, a reasonable question? Well a second dinghy is a great place to hold several days worth of romaine lettuce. Should my diesel fail and my sails shred, I can lure manatees to pull me into shore. Wait. That’s not legal. I need another reason. OK...It seems, I have acquired friends who own catamarans. Now how inconsiderate a host would I be if I did not tie the two dinghies together? Thus I could eliminate squabbling in the sandbox when asked what kind of boat do I own. To which I may now reply : a manatee powered catamaran.
No longer vibrissae faced mermaids, nor biscuit passing gas factories, my smiley
floating friends may now be considered living lifeboats.
Sincere appreciation for all who have replied.
Mark of the manatees
Old 20-05-2020, 01:22   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I can't speak for Manateeman. I know cruising families with two dinghies so kids can go exploring or visit other kids without stranding parents aboard or having parents be a taxi service. Most I've seen have been a 10-12 ft RIB and a 8-10 ft rowing/sailing hard dinghy. Storage for passage making gets tricky on many boats.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 05:00   #10

Jungle bike. When I launch the Trinka 12, which should be within a few days, I’ll try to take some photos with a family onboard. One can easily add a second or third rowing position. The Trinka 12 self bails so if you leave it on a dock, you don’t have to worry about it filling with rain. I’ll probably add some hatches or screw outs under the seats and a lock for the oars.
I’ll send photos of the freeboard with various passenger loads. Maybe some pics under power.
I epoxied the hull bottom. I thought about adding another layer of glass or carbon but passed on the idea as the rigidity and strength of the hull is excellent.
I might add gunnel guard. Folding lifting rings.
I’m impressed with the construction.
Regards, Mark
Old 20-05-2020, 05:05   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Mr. Manateeman, I don’t mean to be picky, but I believe if you tied a 12’ Trinka to a 10’ Trinka you would have a proa and not a catamaran.......still A boat vs. a half boat. :-)
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:17   #12

Gentle readers. Perhaps I stand corrected. Twin parallel hulls of equal size in a vessel stabilized by geometry = catamaran. Parallel hulls of different lengths and shapes = proa. Manatee powered proa?
I believe Dick Newick coined the term Atlantic Proa. But!
Further, I see in the notes on the history of proa designs at “ HarryProa.com”
four criteria to delineate a vessel as a “proa”. Criteria #4. Able to sail in either direction. Ah HA. Clearly even if I tied the two Trinks head to tail, I doubt they would sail at all. I’m open to ideas on how to exceeding the 31 knot record set by the proa Crossbow. Suggestions?
A curious manatee.
Old 21-05-2020, 12:50   #13

Greetings . We finally got the Trinka 12 in the water . Our first test was with a standard shaft Yamaha 2.5 hp four stroke. Sitting in the stern ,I weigh 200,
with the motor on, water will come in through the self bailing openings. Not a lot, maybe a gallon or gallon and a half...just enough to get your sneakers wet.
With someone in the bow, the boat levels off. If you a alone, you definitely need a tiller extension. The Yamaha is a side shift . I kept looking for the shift on the handle. Alone sit in the middle. Two in the boat works well. Four...two adults, two children...perfect.
Maybe four or five hp. I think a 8 or 9.9 will not gain you much overall.
I’m going to add some more seating and I’ll report what I find.
It’s a much different boat from the Trinka 10.
I can kneel on the outer edge and I still have freeboard. I’m very impressed
with it as a primary dinghy.
Happy trails to you...
Mark
Old 30-06-2020, 19:24   #14

Well I was happy to see a practical discussion of the 12. I keep hoping to get a bigger mother ship so I can justify a Trinka 12. Different from the 10 indeed. A Bruce Kirby design. From what I understand from Johansson, it is a planing hull and will indeed run with more horse power. The 2 hp rating is legal issue that affects the builder more than the user...

Maybe you could find some one to loan you a six or an 8 for a couple of hours. I have been told they they plain off and run like a skiff. I am thinking of my 12ft SeaNymph that ran about 20 mph with a six with 2 people. (But wouldn't plain with 4 people)
Good luck
Flcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 19:08   #15

Greetings. It took a while but today we put a 6 hp Yamaha to the test. Simply too much motor. Will not plane with two. Just digs a hole.
Previously we tried a 2.5 hp. It’s ok. We had hoped to get a more speed but 6 hp
is not the answer. We will try a 4 hp next. Our thinking is that using the 4 hp at half throttle will help the motor last longer than running the 2.5 hp wide open.
A bit more weight but probably not as much noise.
We will post our results for the 4 hp.
Mark the manatee.

Tags
sail, sailing