Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2010, 13:01   #31

Paul - Thanks for the correction on the Sailomat !!! Hmmmm, back in the race again. Dang, so many choices and so hard to find the best one. I do like much of the design of the Sailomat as there are some very smart features.

As far as the 10 inches, I suppose for a servo-pendulum unit that turns the main rudder it wouldn't matter so much. I've just read a lot of sources that stress that it should be centered for best performance and even the manufacturers that offer the off-center mounting usually concede that it's best to be right in the middle. I guess I'm just looking for the best configuration.
D_e_n_n_i_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 13:24   #32

Boat: Outbound 44
Dennis,
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. These features do not stand alone. You need to look at the whole package and make trade-offs.
I would rather have an off-centered vane attached closer to the stern, than 60lbs of steel hanging 2 1/2 ft off the stern. Weight in the ends does no one any good.

I'd be swayed by a used vane at a decent price over a new one at a lot of cruising bucks.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 13:44   #33

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
What about a Saye's rig?
Old 22-03-2010, 15:41   #34

Paul - Those are words of wisdom and I will think more on the whole system. I just end up breaking it into individual components to better understand what is good or bad about any particular system. Point well taken, though.

I am willing, however, to shell out the bucks because I want to do a 10-year cruise and don't want headaches while cruising (well, as few as possible). Once I quit work, income will go from sufficient to nonexistant ... I'd rather pay now than later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saye's rig ... Interesting ... Scanmar, like the Monitor ...
http://www.selfsteer.com/products/sayes/index.php

I do have a traditional transom and high freeboard ... Woah, enter a new candidate !! How quickly can this be removed for in-port use?

Bronze mounting bracket .. Stainless Steel rudder plates ... Do the different metals ever meet? Does anyone have any long term experience with these units?
Old 23-03-2010, 05:22   #35

The Saye's rig can be removed in a minute or two....pull the main holding pin slide the top off , unhook the bottom pendulum and there you go...just a small bracket on the transom... give Ron at Scanmar a shout he is their designer...design@selfsteer.com
Old 23-03-2010, 08:09   #36

Thanks aboutgone !! Quick release and it doubles as emergency rudder control, accepting an autopilot - Nice !!

At first, I was concerned about bolting into the main rudder, but if done right you shouldn't have a problem with water ingress. With quick release there isn't the problem of interference with the controls in tight quarters. Thanks for the E-Mail address - I just sent 'em an E-Mail for a manual and more details.
Old 24-03-2010, 06:20   #37

Reply from Ron at Scanmar

Ron at Scanmar replied:
The current Sayae's Rig manual is available as a PDF file - it's attached.
If your rudder is hollow, it's up to you to strenghen/fill it as necessary.
All metal parts are either 316L stainless steel or bronze - there's no corrosion.

FYI-I tried to upload the PDF, but it's just under 1MB, over the 400K limit for the forum - Sorry
Old 24-03-2010, 10:00   #38

Dennis: could you post the link for that .pdf , I lost mine and would love to have a copy.............thx .Ed
Old 24-03-2010, 13:14   #39

Saye's Rig - Manual Download

Ed,

Ron didn't send me a link, but sent me the attachment directly.

After searching through a few dozen free file hosting sites, I found one that isn't blocked by our firewall - Fast Files - Free File Hosting
I have uploaded the document. This should remain available for all until the hosting server runs out of space and the files are then deleted as new files are uploaded. It's fast and free and the first time that I've seen the site so download at your own risk. Of course, I've already uploaded at my own risk ...

To download the file, go to: Fast Files - Share your files for FREE!

Enjoy,
Dennis
Old 24-03-2010, 13:17   #40

Oh crap - Just went to the website to see how the download looks and they make you jump through some stupid hoops. Let me see if I can find another free file hosting site that we aren't blocking, which seems safe ... I suppose you could jump through those hoops, but who knows what lurks behind the offers ...
Old 24-03-2010, 13:20   #41

Ed,

Perhaps you should PM me with your E-Mail address and I can E-Mail it to you. Whatever you feel more comfortable doing ... If you know of a safe file upload site, then you can send that to me too, but our Cisco IronPort device is fairly tight. We're working to loosen controls for the I.T. staff, but we have to move some apps off an old server, etc. so don't hold your breath ...

Dennis
Old 24-03-2010, 14:34   #42

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Fleming Wind Vane

You should also consider the Fleming vane from Australia.

All stainless, investment cast, simple to mount, strong...much more substantial than a Monitor

I have one and it works well ... there are a lot of them in use in this part of the world.

Kevin Fleming won a Design Award for his unique design.

Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 14:40   #43

Alan,

Is that an auxiliary rudder design or does it actually turn the main rudder of the boat?

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 24-03-2010, 14:43   #44

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Dennis,

The Fleming is a servo pendulum vane that uses control lines to move the tiller or wheel.

See : www.flemingselfsteer.com
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 07:39   #45

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
We have the Monitor and think it's great. I ordered it and Scanmar sent all the pre-cut pieces to me in Spain. It was easy to install and so far has worked great (the Atantic and across the Caribbean). We are about to cross the Pacific and I still think it's the best choice after talking to many other yachts. I have never had a problem with the contol lines.
Jim
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia