Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 20:37   #1

Boat: American Tug
Opinions on sailing dinghy

I am shopping for a sailing dinghy to replace the Avon and outboard that is our Bayfield 32's tender. I want something that rows well, sails well and can handle a very small outboard. I have been reading about Fatty Knees, Dyers and Walker Bay's. Anyone have experience with any of them, suggestions or advice?
Thanks.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 20:48   #2

Re: Opinions on sailing dinghy

I have a Walker Bay 8, used to have the sail kit (sold it when left the USA). Great little boat.

Small outboard - check
Rows well - check
Sails well - check

People will knock it because it can't fit a big outboard (like a RIB), can't row as well as true rowing dinghy, and can't sail like an Optimist or Laser.

We got the tube kit which has been great.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 20:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I've wanted a Trinka for many years. It sails and rows beautifully and is about the prettiest little boat around. It's available in 8, 10 and 12 foot versions.
Trinka-The Best Rowing/Sailing Dinghy in the World.
Old 13-08-2013, 21:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Fatty Knees and Trinka are a bit heavy. Nice stable platforms that row and sail well but cost a fortune new. I've got a Montgomery 8' with sail kit. It's light enough for me to muscle it on deck though scratches things up if I"m alone. I've taken to launching it with a 4 part tackle off the spinnaker pole. Just hoist it by the stern, swing it out over the water and drop it in. Retrieval is the opposite.

Have an Avon Redcrest that I use for diving but like the Montgomery way better for rowing and sailing around anchorages. I have no outboard so sail rig works great for exploring.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 21:30   #5

Maybe the Chameleon nesting dinghy designed by Danny Greene would be of interest?

Like any boat it's the product of compromise, but for us the appeal lies in being able to store a 10' 6" hard dinghy in little more than 5' feet of space in our cabin top.

Each half weighs about 50 pounds. The two halves can be assembled in the water with you in it. An internet search while should yield a decent amount of info from owners as well as a pro builder source.

Cheers
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 22:22   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I've wanted a Trinka for many years. It sails and rows beautifully and is about the prettiest little boat around. It's available in 8, 10 and 12 foot versions.
Eight-foot:

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 22:26   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The Bayfield 32 is more like a 30' boat in terms of deck space given that the 32 includes the molded in bow extension: BAYFIELD 30/32

That means you have storage issues for a hard dink.
However, rowing requires a hard dink.

I would suggest either a nesting dinghy or a folding dinghy.

Nesting dinghies that might work include:

Chameleon by Danny Greene:dtgreene@logic.bm This email is 3yr old and he indicated plans were $35 at that time.

B&B: Yacht Tenders There are nesting versions of each of the 3 main designs.

Nestaway Boats Ltd - Nesting Folding Dinghies Home
RowBoats ThreePieceBoat
10' Fold Up - folding boat-boatdesign
8' Centerfold - take-apart sailing dinghy-boatdesign
PT Eleven Nesting Dinghy home page

Folding Boat options include:
Porta Bote | Just another WordPress site
K2 Stowaway - The versatile family sailing dinghy
Instaboat is a smart foldable light boat. Instaboat est un ingnieux bateau pliable.
Seahopper Folding Boats - The versatile foldaway boat.
Flapdoodle Dinghy
RowBoats HandyAndy : DIY Folding Boat

And some outside the box alternatives:
Dinghy plans for the spatially challenged
Micro Folding Dinghy
Other Lofting

I have heard good things about Chameleon, B&B and Porta-bote.

Personally I am planning to modify the Handy Andy DIY folder to make it shorter and also to build a Chameleon.

Don't let me sell you a pig in a poke here. Nesters and folders each have their own issues.

A nester will probably need to sit on the cabin top immediately behind the mast. This means you need adequate distance between the mast and and the front of the companion way opening. Also you need clearance between the boom and the top of the nested dinghy. Finally you will have to get used to the obstructed view.

Folders need a long enough place to stow. Unless you can find one short enough to stow in the quarterberth or the v-berth (micro dinghy would work) it will need to be stored on deck, probably lashed to the lifelines. This is not a really great place for it. The flat surfaces presented to the waves make a large impact area so stanchion damage is likely in heavy seas. It may be possible store alongside the cabin or laying flat on the cabin running past the mast on one side. You will need to take measurements of your boat to figure out if any of these versions works well.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 22:31   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Mark, I was thinking about your little green boat when I made that post.
Old 14-08-2013, 09:16   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I have a nesting dinghy that rows well, sails well and can take a Honda 2, plus a 10 foot Portabote that rows slightly less well, but motors just fine with that same Honda 2:
The world encompassed: More tender moments

You may find some guidance there. It really depends on the trade-off between the desire for a clear deck versus the willingness to assemble the tender(s) on occasion.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 09:22   #10

I had a Dyer 8 on my Rawson 30 in the mid 80's. Superb little boats. Lightweight because the glass isnt super thick but is done impeccably. Very stable for that type of boat.... hard chine like a plywood pram. Anything in the 8 ft range is going to be a lousy sailor though. My guess is the Dyer's a beetter sailor than an El Toro. Nesting might be a good way to go, or go with the 10 ft version.
There are many really nice loooking small fiberglass dingy's out there, lapstrake hulls, teak etc.... but many are quite heavy for their size. The Dyer is not. The wood strips on the gunnels are copper riveted on etc. on the Dyer. And those Pretty little boats dont have the hard chine stability either. You want a boat that stays stable when you stand up to get into the mothership......

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 14:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I have a nesting dinghy that rows well, sails well and can take a Honda 2, plus a 10 foot Portabote that rows slightly less well, but motors just fine with that same Honda 2:
The world encompassed: More tender moments

You may find some guidance there. It really depends on the trade-off between the desire for a clear deck versus the willingness to assemble the tender(s) on occasion.
Alchemy: thanks. I spent some time at your blog enjoying myself. Well done.
Old 14-08-2013, 14:58   #12

Thanks to all who have responded. I plan to drive three hours on Friday to look at a Dyer sailing dinghy (the just-shy of 8-foot model) so we will see.

Meanwhile, if anyone needs a 10-foot Avon with the FG floor, oars, bag to store it in (has the folding transom) and 5 hp Mercury Outboard mine is for sale in Fort Myers, FL for $1500. All in good shape.

Tags
dinghy, sail, sailing