Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2023, 05:03   #1

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
New Highfield - how to hang it?

Yippee, just got a new Highfield dink - a first for us, 2.9 meter (9 ft 6 inches), the UL290. I need to hang it on my aft davits.

I am interested in what works and does not work from Highfield owners. I see four tabs welded to the corners of the aluminum bottom. These are aluminum with slits.

Looks like a bad idea to clip on a stainless steel shackle - would create a sharp wear point on the aluminum, as well as between dissimilar metals. Has anyone had this issue? These tabs look like future failure points, maybe? Need to treat them carefully?

I am thinking of using Dyneema soft shackles and making some Dyneema harnesses. Has anyone done that? Does the Dyneema chafe in the slits? I seems like it might.

Or maybe use some tough nylon or polyester web loops thru the tabs, with no metal. Then clip on an off-the-shelf harness using shackles.

Not sure which might work out best. Please advise Thanks in advance.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 05:19   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: New Highfield - how to hang it?

I use Amsteel Blue 6mm spliced loops, one loop for each of the four eyes and I cow-hitch them to the eye. Tune the length of each loop for positioning. My hoist has a soft shackle that I attach two loops to. Very easy and effective.

No chafing after many years.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 05:57   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

We just purchased a UL290SS this summer also! Its agreat little boat, gets my wife and I up on plan and scooting along nicely with a 9.9. We hang ours from our Arch when under way. I made some Dyneema strops to attach to the 2 lower eyes in the transom and a single one for the internal bow eye. The strops primarially keep the lifting lines and blocks away from the fabric of the tubes and make lifting a bit easier. We have 5:1 tackles to lift the boat with and its really easy. I can lift the boat myself even with the engine on. With 2 of us its a piece of cake to lift the boat! We add some padding and ratchet straps to secure the dinghy and stop it from swaying
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinghy.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	281240  
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 09:40   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

could also try webbing loops and attach shackle to the loop.
Old 25-09-2023, 08:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
could also try webbing loops and attach shackle to the loop.
I have used web as a temporary solution. 1" tubular nylon climbers web. I will eventually make a Dyneema harness. The dealer tells me these attach points have a stainless steel insert to prevent wear and chafe and that I can attach using stainless shackles. I still think Dyneema or web is appropriate.
Old 25-09-2023, 09:02   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfy View Post
I have used web as a temporary solution. 1" tubular nylon climbers web. I will eventually make a Dyneema harness. The dealer tells me these attach points have a stainless steel insert to prevent wear and chafe and that I can attach using stainless shackles. I still think Dyneema or web is appropriate.
Your dealer is incorrect. There are no stainless inserts. That would actually be a bad design as it would cause corrosion and I can telly you my UL290 does not have any inserts. I'm just using dyneema for my harness. Works very well.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 12:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Your dealer is incorrect. There are no stainless inserts. That would actually be a bad design as it would cause corrosion and I can telly you my UL290 does not have any inserts. I'm just using dyneema for my harness. Works very well.

I suspected it was BS, and yes, stainless on aluminum would corrode. It's why I mentioned it. Most of us have never had an aluminum boat, but we all have aluminum masts, and should know never to sink a stainless screw into the mast with a protective coating material.
Old 25-09-2023, 13:22   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, derfy,

IMO, if there's space for it, I like Jedi's idea of the cowhitch:
1) it will spread the ldoad
2) it will be really easy to take off and stick in your dinghy bag, so the clutter is lessened.

Ann
Old 19-11-2023, 16:37   #9

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

We have lifted our aluminium dinghy with 4 Wichard SS snap hooks for 5+ years. No issues. Corrosion is not a problem with that kind of open air contact. Nothing wrong with Dyneema, but the snap hooks are fast. We lift the dinghy every night
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 16:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I use Amsteel Blue 6mm spliced loops, one loop for each of the four eyes and I cow-hitch them to the eye. Tune the length of each loop for positioning. My hoist has a soft shackle that I attach two loops to. Very easy and effective.

No chafing after many years.
+1. Our 310 has been hanging this way since 2017 without any chafe and without ever having to change out the lifting strops.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote