Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 18:14   #1

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Marine Generator Onan MDKD 6.5 kva

Hi all,
I hope this is right place auxilary equipment. I have an older Onan MDKD 6.5 kva Genset. It works but its gettimg tired & I cant afford a new one. The engine is a Kubota D950 engine. I can buy a fully reconditioned engine for under 2 k Aud & just change all the marine gear over to it. Im just wondering how the engine comes apart from the alternator. My manual doesnt show how thats bolted up. If anyone can enlighten me or has a better manual than me I would be appreciated.
Mike
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 18:41   #2

Re: Marine Generator Onan MDKD 6.5 kva

When you say "getting tired" are there specific symptoms? Or is it just old? I have the same generator that was installed in 1996 and has 8100 hours, and runs like a top. But it has received 20 years of compulsive preventative maintenance.

The concern I'd have is if the diesel is running out of life, do you know that the electrical side of the unit is in better shape?

But assuming you are really hearing your diesel's death rattle, this is not a simple job, and the generator side of the unit has it's own issues with age and hours. If you know it has been maintained and is in better shape than the diesel, there is a shop manual available.

This should get you started:
http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manua...0(03-1994).pdf
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 19:58   #3

Thanks for the quick reply bill. Its done around 6000 hrs. Blows a bit of smoke under load & the oil gets black pretty quick. I have done the heat exchanger & given he cooling system a good flush. It was pretty clogged up. I was going to pul the head off & do the valves , glow plugs , injectors & injector pump but that all adds up to around the same as these reconditioned engines.
Maybe pull the head & have a look. I see its a sleeved motor so may be able to rebuild mine insitu . A rebuild kit is $750 Aud .
Mike
Old 05-12-2018, 02:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you have a good manual, a car mechanic can rebuild most small diesels. An engine kit will make the block like new. That's the great part about sleeved engines. The head, injectors and injector pump can all be rebuilt. Any decent port city should have a injector/pump rebuilder. As long as you've maintained oil changes, the crank will be like new with new bearings. Diesels usually go thru many rebuilds without needing crank repairs.

The generator has a plate bolted to the engine flywheel. There's usually a opening on the bell housing to access the bolts.

Generators usually have an end bearing that needs to be replaced every five years or 1000 hours. Get the number on the bearing and buy online.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:58   #5

Hi Lepke
The generator will be my next project . Im currently rebuilding the raw water system on my Yanmar 4LH - DTE . Pulled the oil cooler & intercooler off yesterday all now clean ready to reassemble. I have the manual but it doesnt show how the alternator unbolts from the engine. I have decided to pull the head off the kubota D950 & get the valves done & seats. I will check the wear in the bore while its off. Its only fone 6000 hrs so as you say it should be good around the crank. I do the oil & filter every 100 hrs normal & 200 when we are cruising . We run it 3 hrs a day in the tropics so doesnt take long to get 200 up.
I will service the injectors & pump as well.
Mike
Old 09-04-2022, 12:17   #6

Boat: Trawler, Fairways marine, 38`

Hello I have certain problem with onan 6.5kva model mdkdp with cummings ebgine is it somebody expiriance and willing for help?
Br Dusko
DJBLUELADY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, marine