Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 15:17   #16

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: I Need Some Advice: RU-260 West Marine 8' Inflatable Dinghy

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Tom...good to know about your experiences with West Marine. I will keep that in mind and make sure I check into the warranty. Really good to know about the bag; I did not figure it would last very long, but was hoping I might get a little more use out of it.

Boatman...if I was using it regularly, especially in an extreme sun environment, I would agree with you, that 7+ years would be a stretch. But, as I said in the original post, I am only planning on using it during the summers (and only then for a 4-5 weeks) in the north and will be storing it indoors otherwise. Was hoping maybe someone who has used theirs in a similar (limited) manner could comment on life expectancy.

Dan...appreciate your comments about life expectancy. While I don't imagine I will be taking the best care of it when I have it out on the water for a few weeks a year (though I will try), you have given me some hope I might be able to use it for a year or more on the new boat until I figure out whether I want to get a different model.

I would certainly appreciate any other folks' comments on longevity, especially if you have used yours in a similar fashion to the way I plan on doing it and/or have specific experience with West Marine models.
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 06:42   #17

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
In the tropics you should be getting a hypalon as the PVC will not hold up in a lot of direct UV.
Hi ! I have an Achilles LSI-4 (Now LSI-88) 8'10" that came with my 1987 Ericson 34. It has been living happily on lake Michigan for over ten years but now it's retired in the West Indies where I noticed that many a seafarer uses UV resistant cover for their inflatable dinghy when stored on deck. In any case it's also a good idea to raise the dinghy out of the water at night -either on deck or on the side held by a halyard- as stealing dinghy is a national sport among teenagers & not so young people in many islands (Sint Maarten/St-Martin lagoon is famous for that)... In a previous life, my dinghy was stolen in Martinique by another sailor, but luckily I recovered it & the robber got a free ride to Fort de France hospital Back to the size: I find that for two people + groceries 8'10" is about the smalest I would have. One more thing: Although inflatables are not the best for that, I row as often as I can & leave my 4HP on board... 200 strokes one way from Sundance to Corossol is a good exercise
http://www.nestawayboats.com/9ft-Cli...2102822%29.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DinghyOnDeck.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	100760   Click image for larger version

Name:	DinghyOnTheSide.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	100761  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:04   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I don't know about other folks experiences with roll-up dinghies, but we have had a 10ft Avon for 10-12 years and used it extensively in the Caribbean. About 5 years ago we moved up to a rigid aluminum bottomed RIB. And now that is our #1 dinghy primarily because of the aluminum hull. We can crash and bash the bottom and except for some dents it has not been any trouble.

One feature of the roll-up - especially if you "over-power" - is the flexing of the floor as you transition from "in the water" to "on the water" (planing). As you accelerate the bow wave you make travels back under the dinghy causing a rather large "hump" or bulge as the roll-up slats flex relative to each other. This can be disconcerting at least and possibly dangerous as the bow end of the dinghy flexes down as the mid and stern flex upwards.

I don't know if you plan on hanging the dinghy on davits or not - but my experience is that inflatable floor dinghies don't hang from davits - they droop as the middle of the dinghy bends in half. We don't have davits but like to use a halyard to raise the dinghy on deck and to do so with an inflatable floored dinghy you need to remove everything from the dinghy and make sure the tubes and floor are fully inflated or you get the same "folding in half" problems.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:24   #19

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

I'm sitting at a dock right this second waiting for my new tender. We bought a west marine dinghy in January.... I thought it would last at least a year.... I was wrong... And forget about getting a dinghy out of the country. Part of the reason we just got back from bahamas was because it's impossible to get a dinghy shipped to bahamas. Get a nice one first. Look, mine came apart at seams. And forget about a putting bigger motor on it. That'll rip it apart in weeks.

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429712629505.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	100762   Click image for larger version

Name:	1429712641533.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	100763  

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 11:52   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
I'm sitting at a dock right this second waiting for my new tender. We bought a west marine dinghy in January.... I thought it would last at least a year.... I was wrong... And forget about getting a dinghy out of the country. . . .

I think I am misinterpreting the "out of country" - do you mean getting it shipped from a vender inside the USA to your location outside the USA?

If that is the case then for sure it would more than likely double the cost or more especially considering the various import duties, fees, etc., of getting something shipped to you.

But to find and purchase a dinghy from a source outside the USA can save some significant money if you are in certain places like St Martin or Trinidad or other places in the world. Considering that 2-cycle outboards are "banned" in the USA - the only place to purchase new ones is definitely outside the USA. And if you locate and deal with outfits that supply the local fishermen's needs, the saving start to mount up. It is not necessarily easy to locate and learn how to deal so as to get a good price, but it can be done. One simple way is to befriend a local and have him be your "front man" in such deals.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote