Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 09:59   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: I Hate my Outboard

In my 20's I was a motorcycle mechanic. I saw the same thing then, that I see now...use and park. Internal combustion engines require maintenance and care. Especially when not used for any length of time. If an outboard is used on a regular basis, they tend to be less fussy. Clean fuel to the carb is key. The jets on an outboard are tiny. Especially on a 4 stroke. How many here replace the fuel filter each year? How many folks use old fuel? Those jets clog easily and then it will either not idle or will not perform at 1/2 throttle and up. A car is different. You use it daily and fill up once a week.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 14:10   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Don, I'm putting two threads together. On another active thread, you've just confessed that you've been steering the boat ever since you owned it with the wheel lock activated.

Any chance you've been trying to start that poor outboard of yours with the kill switch activated?
Wouldn't that be something! Even I may not have the courage to confess that one!
Old 17-04-2012, 15:11   #48

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Wouldn't that be something! Even I may not have the courage to confess that one!
I'll confess to it! First time I tried to fire up my new outboard (came with the boat), it wouldn't start. A friend asked me if I had the "thingy" in the kill switch. I said, "Kill switch?"

First outboard didn't even have one of those newfangled kill switches.

And that's not even close to the dumbest thing I've done on/to my boat, I'm sure.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:17   #49

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I have a Honda 2hp 4stroke that has 86 hours on it and has never given me any trouble. Starts first or second pull almost always. It does leak oil though. All of them do.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I'll confess to it! First time I tried to fire up my new outboard (came with the boat), it wouldn't start. A friend asked me if I had the "thingy" in the kill switch. I said, "Kill switch?"

First outboard didn't even have one of those newfangled kill switches.

And that's not even close to the dumbest thing I've done on/to my boat, I'm sure.
OK, I'll confess.... usually I just left the kill switch cord and thingy on the motor. One time going ashore when I was worried about security, I put it in my pocket instead of just leaving it. We got back after a long day and my Yamaha that always started with one pull just wouldnt start. Just as I was removing the engine cover I remembered the kill switch!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:37   #51

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Clean fuel to the carb is key. The jets on an outboard are tiny. Especially on a 4 stroke. How many here replace the fuel filter each year? How many folks use old fuel? Those jets clog easily and then it will either not idle or will not perform at 1/2 throttle and up. A car is different. You use it daily and fill up once a week.
This is the answer, particularly for 4-strokes. The less fuel your engine is burning the smaller the jets and other ports in there, and on a 2 HP 4 stroke those are really, really tiny. With today's gas you absolutely should use a stabilizer with every tankful. I use the blue StaBil and it always goes into the container before I fill with gas. That helps with the ethanol gas. In my experience gas that sits more than a month without stabilizer is suspect. You've got to also have a serious filter on there with 4-strokes. It isn't overkill to have a full-sized spin on engine filter (looks just like your typical car oil filter, but bigger), and change it out frequently. And even then know how to take your carb off and clean out the teensy ports in there, as you will have to do it several times per year, with a 4-stroke.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:00   #52
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I have a Honda 2hp 4stroke that has 86 hours on it and has never given me any trouble. Starts first or second pull almost always. It does leak oil though. All of them do.
Hey maybe I need to give the bit*h more credit, it doesn't leak oil! Or maybe I need to make it leak oil as it sounds like that fixes that other problems.

PS - how do you guys how many hours your outboard has?
Old 17-04-2012, 16:05   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Hey maybe I need to give the bit*h more credit, it doesn't leak oil! Or maybe I need to make it leak oil as it sounds like that fixes that other problems.
The ones that never start tend not to leak as much oil.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:07   #54

Quote:

PS - how do you guys how many hours your outboard has?

Don, it needs to be running to leak oil!!!!!
Old 17-04-2012, 16:09   #55
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The ones that never start tend not to leak as much oil.
ouch, ouch, ouch, OUCH

time to put mine in the classified section............. any takers before the bidding gets out of hand............. it's pretty clean and doesn't leak any oil, I'm thinking $400
Old 17-04-2012, 16:14   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
ouch, ouch, ouch, OUCH

time to put mine in the classified section............. any takers before the bidding gets out of hand............. it's pretty clean and doesn't leak any oil, I'm thinking $400
On my last birthday Wonderblond got me a 15hp with an electric starter.

I tried pull starting it once, just to see what it was like. Haven't tried that trick again.

So now when I hear fellows on threads like this say, "Mine starts on the first pull," I just shake my head and think, "You poor sot."

Do yourself a favor, Don, and get one that starts on the first push.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:15   #57

Quote:
ouch, ouch, ouch, OUCH

Not me. Since its not leaking oil I assume you never put any in it.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:19   #58

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I don't much like any outboard motors--an old timer once told me either row or step a mast and hoist a a sail. Of course, I think he was probably thinking of a traditional dinghy instead of the newer tenders which seem not to like either alternate means of propulsion.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:31   #59

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Not me. Since its not leaking oil I assume you never put any in it.

Funnyest yet.

It seems from reading a bunch that the Honda 2s come in two types. Don has Type 2.

The ones with Type 1 seem to be happy.

I don't know how to tell them apart by looking at them though.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:37   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Funnyest yet.

It seems from reading a bunch that the Honda 2s come in two types. Don has Type 2.

The ones with Type 1 seem to be happy.

I don't know how to tell them apart by looking at them though.

Type 1 have oil leaking. Easy to spot.

Tags
outboard