Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2024, 18:02   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Hypalon cost way up???

If this helps anyone…..

I inquired about an inflatable catamaran dinghy (I won’t mention the company name but they are one of the main players) in HYPALON, as their website clearly stated “available in either PVC or HYPALON”.

Heard back from them saying they no longer offered the boat in HYPALON as the price of that material skyrocketed during the pandemic and drove the cost of that boat to be more than double that of the PVC version.

So….maybe time to get sun chaps for your HYPALON horse and baby it on, or not….but in this changing world there are changes…..
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 18:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Hypalon cost way up???

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
If this helps anyone…..

I inquired about an inflatable catamaran dinghy (I won’t mention the company name but they are one of the main players) in HYPALON, as their website clearly stated “available in either PVC or HYPALON”.

Heard back from them saying they no longer offered the boat in HYPALON as the price of that material skyrocketed during the pandemic and drove the cost of that boat to be more than double that of the PVC version.

So….maybe time to get sun chaps for your HYPALON horse and baby it on, or not….but in this changing world there are changes…..
Bought a 4lb. Canada Prime, 31 day cold aged prime rib today in Toronto. It was $30 more than my first mortgage payment ... such is life
Old 26-03-2024, 19:26   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

Unless something has changed to improve PVC UV resistance even at twice the price hypalon is a better deal. If you are a full time cruiser in the tropics hypalon will last at least a decade while the PVC will fail in a couple of years. Chaps do not give enough protection and custom chaps will take away a lot of the cost savings.

Look at the materials warranty to get an idea of what the dinghy builder expects as the life of the two fabrics.

Many years ago friends bought a Quicksilver PVC dinghy with a five year warranty. Quicksilver replaced the dinghy twice in that five years. The PVC got sticky and gummy pretty fast. I am still using a Caribe hypalon that I bought in 2007. It spent it's first five years in the tropics and is now in the Pacific Northwest. Doesn't look to good anymore but the fabric is still good.

So, if you intend to leave your dink on deck or hanging from davits full time be very careful about your fabric choice.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 03:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Unless something has changed to improve PVC UV resistance ...
According to Newport* [Inflatable Sport Boats]:
PVC vs CSM Inflatable Boat Lifespan” https://newportvessels.com/blogs/res...-boat-lifespan

Quote:
“... While the anger and stigma against PVC boats were warranted in the early days, this is no longer the case.
Significant advances in chemical manufacturing have improved PVC fabrics properties, and better construction methods have eliminated outdated technologies like cheap adhesives and High Frequency Welding.
The PVC material today uses various additives that have dramatically improved the fabric and PVC inflatable boats. Today, UV stabilizers and protective coatings help negate the harmful effects of UV rays and prolong the life of PVC fabric. By selecting a dinghy with high-quality PVC fabric and constructed with hot air welding, you can be confident you will get a reliable inflatable boat ...”
The linked website contains much more detail.

* Newport manufactures inflatable boats with 1100 Denier Korean PVC (0.9mm) hulls, so perhaps, not unbiased.

Speaking of dramatically rising cost & prices:
Cocoa production is down by about 30%, this year, and [cocoa & chocolate] prices have tripled, in the last 12 months, due to the spread of bean disease [& atypical rainfall], among cacao crops in West Africa, where more than 70% of the global cocoa supply is produced.
The global chocolate industry is reportedly worth more than $100 billion US. But, with cocoa prices hitting a record $10,000 US per metric ton, on Tuesday, it's likely that your Easter treats might look a little different this year, as major chocolate manufacturers look for creative ways to make chocolate less ‘chocolatey’.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 04:51   #5

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I'm in the marine canvas biz.

The price of pretty much everything I touch is up by 50% or more since 2019. Some things are closer to 4x.

Ouch.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote