Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 21:59   #1

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: History of dinghys and a deep think on why we like RIBs

Just an observation, but I typically see the people that row their dinghies trying to get as close to the dinghy dock as possible in popular anchorages. They're often squeezing into pretty undesirable space that are noisy, filled with other boat wakes and a poor natural view, all to save having to row too much.

Having an outboard (and RIB) is freedom to anchor out of the weather and crowds... even if that is the next bay away. To me it's like having a powered windlass; if you need to reanchor, you'll do it without even giving it a second though vs. having to huff and puff pulling the anchor to try different bottom areas.

Matt
Old 22-01-2019, 22:26   #2

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

HI Guys,

Yeah, I've got line drawings and a table of offsets. I'll pull them out and post them. Regards the question about mounting an outboard, the hull is a double ender at the waterline. Above the waterline there is a small, triangular transom large enough to mount an outboard.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 22:55   #3

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

We have a Chameleon nesting dinghy because I like to row. Many reasons for this. Can sail it or put an outboard on and it will last many years. If I was to build another one I'd go for a PT11 as that is a very beautiful boat and it nests too.Plus I love to build things especially dinghies, maybe made about 30 as we used to make them and sell them at Popeyes in Vancouver. Hope they are still in business !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, history, rib