Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 16:14   #1

Boat: 1987 C&C 44
Gas cylinder for Zodiac liferaft

I have a 2006 Zodiac 4 person offshore Solas liferaft. Had a difficult time finding a service dealer here in the Caribbean ,have been looking for the past four years. Currently in Curaçao ,no dealer here either or any islands nearby. I am looking to purchase a Co2 gas cylinder for the raft ,needs to be CO2 2.200kg
N2. 0.140kg full weight 8.201kg . Raft was manufactured 2006. Tried a dealer in Miami ,would not sell the canister to me. Any ideas or suggestions out there ?
magique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 12:53   #2

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Re: Gas cylinder for Zodiac liferaft

Have you tried a paint ball dealer?????
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 13:26   #3

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Have you tried a paint ball dealer?????

Great "Out of the box," process. That resourcefulness is great for the budget. Would be great to be able to re-charge.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 16:17   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
If you find a suitable tank you may have difficulty getting it filled with the CO2/N2 mix. Ive tried to repurpose tanks before and found industrial gas distributors unwilling to fill them with my requested mix (not without good reason...could lead to some ugly mistakes).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 14:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Here is a link to the Zodiac service stations worldwide.

Finding a cylinder and someone to fill it will be darn near impossible. Service stations (such as myself) are not allowed to sell spare parts unless they are fitted to a raft we have serviced.

The valve that Zodiac uses has a unique pitch to the threads and there are items like the piercing disc that must be replaced. This is not a do it yourself job.

I hope the list of service stations helps.
liferaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 15:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I gave up trying to refill mine for AVON. All service places are priced to sell you a new raft. They won't touch the bottle if you bring it to them. The claim is liability etc. Even our welding gas suppliers won't touch it. Lawyers will be the death of us. I finally figured out the hoses & fittings and will fill it in our shop using a precision scale and N2 & CO2 bottles myself. Its good to have your own world class machine & welding shop.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 15:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I gave up trying to refill mine for AVON. All service places are priced to sell you a new raft. They won't touch the bottle if you bring it to them. The claim is liability etc. Even our welding gas suppliers won't touch it. Lawyers will be the death of us. I finally figured out the hoses & fittings and will fill it in our shop using a precision scale and N2 & CO2 bottles myself. Its good to have your own world class machine & welding shop.

Just make sure that it doesn't leak. There is a reason the internal valve parts need to be replaced. An empty cylinder doesn't do anyone any good.
liferaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 17:13   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferaft View Post
Just make sure that it doesn't leak. There is a reason the internal valve parts need to be replaced. An empty cylinder doesn't do anyone any good.
Point taken - thanks.

The bottle was 1/4 full when I performed the inspection. (new to us yacht). The raft passed pressure tests in the living room. Cleaned & rinsed in the pool. I replaced the antique emergency lights with 3 redundant SOLAS LI battery systems etc. Way better than original. It holds inflated for 7 days without re-fill. Lots of other stores were total junk - also replaced.

Found the bottle valve was leaking at the bottle to valve threads. Fixed it. I will refill and then delay a season so I can monitor the bottle weight. We don't really need the raft on Lake Michigan. I will feel good about it when we head out the St Lawrence. SO far, everything that I found wrong was a bad decision or job inadequately performed by someone we were supposed to trust.

Raft packing and EPIRB maintenance are pet peeves. We can build a yacht, campaign it around the world, provision it, rebuild the engines, electrical systems, communications, WIFI, computers etc. but somehow, we are too stupid to stuff a rubber boat in a box or inspect the batteries in an EPIRB. What we need is more micro-managing of our lives. I could go on.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liferaft, zodiac