Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2008, 17:43   #31

I know this post is old but I have 2 words.... Dinghy Sling. I scratched up my boat and the dinghy seat storing upside down on my deck. Also, I hated hauling it over the railings when I was tired (or drunk). Now I use the sling and no more problems.
Donecomutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 12:45   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
A small crane up forward

Something else to add: If there is too much clutter aft, then a small rotating crane up on the foredeck would also solve the problem. The crane would mount to the rail and could lift the dinghy up and over onto its nesting position or a nice set of chalks.

This picture shows a small crane on a powerboat but the idea is the same. You wouldn't need as much height and you might get away with a smaller model. Weight ratings for these small cranes range from 120 lbs. to 200 lbs.

As for davit manufacturers, I represent Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. and we have been producing high quality davits for almost 30 years. If we can't solve your problem then we will at least be able to point you in the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1800 crane (1536 x 1152).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	3419  
Old 24-04-2008, 13:27   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Donecomutin:
I’d welcome your opinion, just a little more, if you’d identify your connection with the aforementioned product. Three posts, all promoting a product product, sounds just a little suspicious, to me. I have a BIG RED BUTTON, so my suspicions should matter to you.
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 14:14   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A crane on the foredeck? Some of us rarely sail on hundred footers. But a robust spinnaker or whisker pole and a halyard can do the same thing--without investing in special cranes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:04   #35
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Well, yes, cranes and davits and all that is available for a price, but my mistake was bying a heavy dink..

If I WANTED a heavy dink, I would install all kinds of lifting devices and cranes to get the porker up and down, but now I am kind of stuck with the heavy thing and not wanting to spend a dime more on cranes or davits.

Tomorrow we will try to towing method..Have not used the boat or the dink for 6 months, but leaving the dock tomorrow and will tow the thing down and up the River and to Biscayne Bay and back...Just to taste it..Never towed my old dink for more than a few miles at the time as it was so easy to flip up on the foredeck and back down when the anchor came down.
Now I will test the tug-boat endorsment on my Coast Guard ticket and I just may have to live with the rubber-ducky behind me forever...
Old 24-04-2008, 18:12   #36

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
ahah

You should not put up with the hassle. I will take the whole rig including the dinky off your hands for oh 10K LOL LOL
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 08:04   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A crane on the foredeck? Some of us rarely sail on hundred footers. But a robust spinnaker or whisker pole and a halyard can do the same thing--without investing in special cranes.
These cranes are built for small sailboats ranging from 20 to 70 ft. Beyond that and we get into serious hardware. However, most of these cranes are installed on sailboats in the 20 to 40 ft. range. The types of cranes to which I am referring are not the big beasts that you have imagined. They mount to the rail and can be installed in less than an hour. Like I said, they are built for small dinghies from less than 100 lbs. up to 200 lbs.

Sometimes a little investment in hardware can save a lot of aggravation, time and injuries. A sore back or some damaged rigging will make such an investment worthwhile.