Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 19:54   #16

Re: Dinghy Pressure due to temp?

You get your pressure set perfectly. Then drop the dink in cold water.

Shrinkage is real.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 20:06   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
You get your pressure set perfectly. Then drop the dink in cold water.

Shrinkage is real.
Not a major problem when the water termperature is around 28°C
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 20:21   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
conversely, 2.5 psi at 60, 1.5 at 50 and essentially completely deflated at 35. And that's not true.

For this rule of thumb, from the wiki article...
Hence, for a tire filled to 32 psi, the approximation usually made

if you look at the article's table, the increase decreases as initial pressure decreases.
I would extrapolate an inflatable goes up 0.1 psi for 10F.
I am too lazy to calculate using Kelvin and Boyle's Law.
Opps... Wottie is wrong - again! But I disagree about when the temps are around 35F, it was 30F here this morning and I along with most others things were severely deflated - although the dinghy wasn't - but soft nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
👍🏼

Heck, if you filled it with helium, you would be a very small way into being a dirigible, and not just a mere dinghy
Yeah but not for long! Helium would pass through the tubes like water through a dirty mossie net.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 22:14   #19

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

It doesn’t matter what the atmospheric pressure is as an inflatable expands due to the pressure differential. As you raise the temperature with a confined gas the pressure goes up unless the container can expand to equalize its volume and retain the same pressure differential.
Since a rib is designed to not do this, essentially constrained then the pressure will rise. How much it would raise has a relation to how much the rib can expand.
Boyles law if I recall correctly
Old 21-06-2021, 23:05   #20

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Opps... Wottie is wrong - again! But I disagree about when the temps are around 35F, it was 30F here this morning and I along with most others things were severely deflated - although the dinghy wasn't - but soft nevertheless.

Yeah but not for long! Helium would pass through the tubes like water through a dirty mossie net.
I dunno, maybe as long as several million parsecs, or so.
I keep getting a disproportionate feed of helium related topics on quora, so I tried to sneek it in here
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 23:18   #21

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

seeing as how we are talking about temperature, this seems like an opportune time to mention that degrees kelvin is named in honour of lord kelvin...who happens to be a distant relation of mine

you've no idea how long i've been waiting to drop that into conversation...

meanwhile, as regards dinghy pressure : please correct me if i'm wrong but don't the valves on a RIB bleed off pressure if it get's too high ??

cheers,
Old 21-06-2021, 23:51   #22

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
seeing as how we are talking about temperature, this seems like an opportune time to mention that degrees kelvin is named in honour of lord kelvin...who happens to be a distant relation of mine

you've no idea how long i've been waiting to drop that into conversation...

meanwhile, as regards dinghy pressure : please correct me if i'm wrong but don't the valves on a RIB bleed off pressure if it get's too high ??

cheers,
I love it. I have always believed that the modified Shraeder valves on deflatable dinghies were pressure relieving.
On a hot, summer, Mexican afternoon, while dozing off into your siesta, nobody wants to pop outside and relieve his dinghy’s pressure
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 11:53   #23

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...al-gas-law.php

The relationship that is most important is Temp and Pressure because your volume will not increase (that much) until something blows, and your moles and gas are not likely to change unless your sail extraplanetary.

The higher the temp, the higher the pressure. I deflate my dinghy until I can indent it easily with my knuckles. If it creases when we sit in it on the water I pump it up.

One thing most forget is that the dinghy chambers have baffles, so if you lose one chamber the remainder will stay afloat and inflated. Having nearly equal pressures in the chambers is very important so you don't blow an internal baffle between to unequally inflated chamber it there is an increase in pressure from temperature change.

I was a white water rafting guide for ten years, cant even begin to count the number of rafts that went BOOM in the California sun. Keep the pressure down!
Old 22-06-2021, 12:31   #24

Boat: Athol Burns Offshore Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Ok, engineers, if I have a 10 RIB inflated to 3.5psi at 70*F, what is the psi at 90*? What about 115*F?

Thanks!
I think you are going about this backwards.
I am the captain of a large RIB rescue vessel and we have very clear manufacturer instructions as follows.
Pump up the tubes to the manufacturers recommended psi AT THE HOTTEST PART OF THE DAY. Never pump up at the coolest time of day. When it cools down the tubes will be softer but leave them soft so that they do not overinflate when it gets warmer.
stinkpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 13:22   #25

Boat: Sabre Mk II 28

Does the water temp factor in?
jlcarreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 13:47   #26

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Our air floor gray Achilles was happy for days and days in the Bahama sun; tight in the heat of the day and a little squishy at night. We brought it aboard and stored it upside down on the foredeck for the sail to the next island. During the day, out of the water, in the sun, with its black bottom facing the sky --- bang and whoosh. The air floor blew out the seam around the hole in the floor that gives access to the valve on the inflatable keel. It was a serious bit of work with more failures along the way to repair the damage.

I wish there was a relief valve incorporated in the inflation valves.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 13:50   #27

Boat: Athol Burns Offshore Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcarreiro View Post
Does the water temp factor in?
Water temp does not fluctuate much day to day whereas air temp and direct sunshine is the main issue.
stinkpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 15:55   #28

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Try avoiding dark colored inflatable dinghies - or dark dinghy chaps. Right now my nearly 5 y o inexpensive PVC West Marine dinghy has a coat of blindingly white, rubberized roof paint. It makes a world of difference in how hot my dinghy gets in the strong Mexican sun.
How is that working in terms of protecting against UV damage? Is the paint flaking off? What kind of paint did you use exactly?
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 08:49   #29

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpots View Post
I think you are going about this backwards.
I am the captain of a large RIB rescue vessel and we have very clear manufacturer instructions as follows.
Pump up the tubes to the manufacturers recommended psi AT THE HOTTEST PART OF THE DAY. Never pump up at the coolest time of day. When it cools down the tubes will be softer but leave them soft so that they do not overinflate when it gets warmer.
Good practice. But most of us need to inflate our dinghies on deck before we go ashore in them. The beach is probably the hottest place you could imagine so better to let some air out after you get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
Inflate it with nitrogen. problem solved. ��
Why? Air is basically nitrogen with O2 and CO2 thrown in for good measure (and life).
Old 23-06-2021, 08:57   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Just remember that the temperature of the air in the dinghy on a sunny day is NOT the outside air temperature, and you will be fine. If the dinghy is on the beach or on the deck, it will be a lot hotter, if it is in the water it will be cooler.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy