Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 08:06   #31

Boat: Havsfidra 20
Re: Dinghy: Hypalon vs Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
For 400 bucks for a top notch PVC you could even talk me into it but where can you buy a new RIB for that?
Even your 1400 bucks doesn't seem anywhere near enough to buy a high quality Hypolon RIB??

The Achilles LEX77 I had was 7'7" long...
Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:09   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not a RIB but they can be had for $1,400
https://www.inflatableboats.net/achi...waAsesEALw_wcB
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:10   #33

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Here's another way to think about it... I used to have an Achilles Hypalon LEX-77. It was awesome! Expensive too... My concern is someone stealing it... For the same price I can buy three cheap dinghies, one every few years... I am tempted to get another Achilles, but the cheap route is tempting too... Lots of things can happen that make you lose your dinghy... Do I want to be out $1200 or $400? Will three $400 dinks last as long as one hypalon one?
Gil.
I rely on my dinghy every day and it is a critical piece of safety and transportation equipment on my boat. I'm not going to buy/acquire one that I suspect to be a few steps up from being "disposable" and wonder every time I step in it whether it's going to let me down. That form of stress is not worth the savings to me, particularly when a good quality dinghy, well taken care of, will ultimately be a better value in pure dollar terms than a string of cheapies.

In my experience with RIBs, you get what your pay for. There are a few outliers...lesser known brands that I have seen a few cruisers with and they have had good experiences with them, but in general, the leading brands like AB and Achilles and Highfield make products that provide value commensurate with their higher price.

There are numerous common sense tactics to ensure that you don't "lose" you're dinghy. Lock it with adequate chain and locks. Hoist it out of the water in areas where theft is common, or chain it to your boat. Deface/customize the motor so that it is not an attractive target. Regularly inspect the dinghy painter and use two lines to secure it to your boat. Don't tow it except in settled mild conditions. Don't tie up to a fixed dock where the dinghy is at risk with a rising tide. And so on...
Old 12-03-2020, 08:15   #34

a64 you're probably right about that... Suijin good advice, thank you.
Gil.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:17   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
a64 you're probably right about that... Suijin good advice, thank you.
Gil.
No, after making that post I looked up the sales price, and your correct they can be had in the US for about $1,400, so I edited my post.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:20   #36

Quote:
Here's another way to think about it... I used to have an Achilles Hypalon LEX-77. It was awesome! Expensive too... My concern is someone stealing it... For the same price I can buy three cheap dinghies, one every few years... I am tempted to get another Achilles, but the cheap route is tempting too... Lots of things can happen that make you lose your dinghy... Do I want to be out $1200 or $400? Will three $400 dinks last as long as one hlypalon one?
Gil.

I would not worry about someone stealing your dink unless it was another cruiser. Locals could care less about the dink, they want the motor.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:21   #37

I think I paid about $1K in 2015, in the U.S... I would need to find one here (France), but the import taxes would probably be around $500, not to mention shipping... Unfortunately 8ft hypalon dinghys aren't common...
Gil.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:17   #38

Boat: Cal-40

Quote:
Here's another way to think about it... I used to have an Achilles Hypalon LEX-77. It was awesome! Expensive too... My concern is someone stealing it... For the same price I can buy three cheap dinghies, one every few years... I am tempted to get another Achilles, but the cheap route is tempting too... Lots of things can happen that make you lose your dinghy... Do I want to be out $1200 or $400? Will three $400 dinks last as long as one hypalon one?
Gil.
I think it’s often the engine they want more then the dinghy but as you said there are a number of things that can happen to your dinghy. Of course when your in an area that has few if any good deals like a 400 dollar PVC replacement then perhaps it better to invest in the higher quality dinghy to start with before you leave on your voyage. I’ve had both PVC and Hypalon and my Achilles after years of heavy tropical sun use still holds air indefinitely lasting much longer then previous PVC boats. I’m serious, look at Achilles. They are not the cheapest boat but your going to be happy with the years of trouble free use from your investment, we have enough things to deal with out here, fighting your budget inflatable can be totally avoided by spending just a few hundred dollars more.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:09   #39

Quote:
I think I paid about $1K in 2015, in the U.S... I would need to find one here (France), but the import taxes would probably be around $500, not to mention shipping... Unfortunately 8ft hypalon dinghys aren't common...
Gil.
I also looked into the dink you described and your numbers are pretty dang close.
Its certainly not a RIB which I thought we were discussing but you did make it clear what model you were talking about, so my bad!
Its got a plywood floor and a maximum sized engine of 4 hp but if your sailing a small boat and you need something you can take apart and stow below on a passage that would be a decent choice. It's a good quality small dink, nothing wrong with it at all. And best of all its Hypolon.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 06:44   #40

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

"Will three $400 dinks last as long as one hypalon one?"

Even if they last longer, the three days your current dinghy sinks would be memorable.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 06:46   #41

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

As to the hypalon question, I had one for each boat I took to the Caribbean, never had chaps, used them daily and never had a problem
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 06:53   #42

If you plan to come to the Caribbean, don't buy a pvc dink. They simply don't last.

Chaps will extend the life of any dinghy in theory but many don't bother. There are anti UV spray applications around as well.
PirateBarnabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 10:33   #43

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

I would be wary of any dink made in China. I tried a hypalon which I thought was Achilles, but was Wu- Wei. It was 1 year old, lightly used. All the glued parts (including transom) parted ways within 6 months of my use. I swear by (not at) Achilles. I've had them last over 20 years with no chaps, with extended use in the Bahamas.

I looked at your French provider - no clue as to where it is manufactured. Beware!
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 10:45   #44

any opinions on the "old" dupont hypalon vs the New fabric (Orca?)
thecapt2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 14:09   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapt2029 View Post
any opinions on the "old" dupont hypalon vs the New fabric (Orca?)
I believe that Avon uses or used the old hyperlon. Observations here in the Caribbean and Latin America are that the rumours that it is superior to the new hyperlon appear to be true.
PirateBarnabus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy