Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2023, 09:21   #1

Bilge pump switch ampacity rating?

Was just looking at the Water Witch bilge pump switches at Fisheries and i noticed they have a supported ampacity that you can choose from. I understand why they would have a voltage choice but what is the amp selection for? Is it meant to be matched with the amp rating of the bilge pump?

For example the Rule 2000 pump uses a 15 amp fuse and draws ~8.4 amps running. Does this mean i should choose a switch with at least a 15 amp rating?

My guess is that the switch sends current to the pump to turn it on once it senses water so the switch needs to be able to send enough current to start the pump and be able to handle enough amps to keep up with the pump, hence matching amp ratings?

Im guessing if the pump pulled more amps than the switch was rated for it might blow a fuse somewhere or burn out the switch but my bilge pump/switch wiring is a little fuzzy.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 09:48   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Bilge pump switch ampacity rating?

Every switch or relay has a current rating above which it can’t handle the current without bad things happening. While the breaker size can indicate capacity, it’s best to ensure the switch can carry max. current the pump will draw.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 10:10   #3

Re: Bilge pump switch ampacity rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Every switch or relay has a current rating above which it can’t handle the current without bad things happening. While the breaker size can indicate capacity, it’s best to ensure the switch can carry max. current the pump will draw.
Got it, thank you. Thats what i figured it had to be but just wanted to double check.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump