Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 20:19   #1

Boat: 2005 Beneteau 331
9.9hp Outboard Question

Hi Folks,

I currently have 1985 (I think) evinrude long shaft 2 stroke. Motor is running good most of the time. Sometimes dies on me when throteling down and it's hard to start sometimes right after. Happened few times already. Kind of scary when i'm coming into the marina.

I had it serviced and still the same thing. now also i'm getting quite a bit of sludge coming out of little hole at the bottom of the shaft. I believe they are to relieve back pressure - they seem to go just right through.

I'm considering picking up another outboard. I have my eye set on 2005 honda 9.9 4 stroke extra long shaft with electric start and cockpit control. It's going for $2000. what's your take on those motors? any good? What's the weight of those motors - i can't find specs for them.

i'm sort of on the fance... put some money into mine old motor or invest in the newer honda... ahhhhhhhh... decisions. :-)
szymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 20:47   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Re: 9.9hp Outboard Question

Those hondas do terrible with ethanol gas.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 20:54   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i had a honda 8--hated it. bought as nissan 9.8...LOVED it.
had many evinrude/johnson engines and they were awesome--reliable and easy to start.
hated the honda because it was too hard for me to start.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 21:04   #4

Boat: 2005 Beneteau 331

oh wow... i'm glad that i posted a question here. Maybe changing to that Honda is not the greatest idea.

Maybe I should just do some work on my old moter over the winter... so far it's been quite faithful... just few incidents and that sludge is starting to concern me.

Any other feedback on Honda's?? i'm starting to reconsider my decision.
szymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 21:09   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Ethanol gas is your problem. Rebuild your carb and try to get pure gas.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I second (or third) the ethanol comments.

One thing to keep in mind when considering remote controls is that the cable linkages are another thing you need to deal with when removing the motor of servicing, to take it home or remove it for storage.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:56   #7

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Talking Re: 9.9hp Outboard Question

Try running a jug of Sea Foam thru it, I always add Stabil fuel additive to all my small engines. Ethanol......ya gotta hate it!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 14:38   #8

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post
oh wow... i'm glad that i posted a question here. Maybe changing to that Honda is not the greatest idea.

Maybe I should just do some work on my old moter over the winter... so far it's been quite faithful... just few incidents and that sludge is starting to concern me.

Any other feedback on Honda's?? i'm starting to reconsider my decision.
I have a Nissan 9.9 2 stroke and have had it stall a few times exactly like you described but it's always been because I didn't let it warm up enough. When I warm her up, I never have an issue. Maybe it's the same thing with your existing motor? Just my 2 cents (Now only worth 1.75 cents with the devaluing dollar)
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 18:39   #9

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post
Hi Folks,

I currently have 1985 (I think) evinrude long shaft 2 stroke. Motor is running good most of the time. Sometimes dies on me when throteling down and it's hard to start sometimes right after. Happened few times already. Kind of scary when i'm coming into the marina.

I had it serviced and still the same thing. now also i'm getting quite a bit of sludge coming out of little hole at the bottom of the shaft. I believe they are to relieve back pressure - they seem to go just right through.

I'm considering picking up another outboard. I have my eye set on 2005 honda 9.9 4 stroke extra long shaft with electric start and cockpit control. It's going for $2000. what's your take on those motors? any good? What's the weight of those motors - i can't find specs for them.

i'm sort of on the fance... put some money into mine old motor or invest in the newer honda... ahhhhhhhh... decisions. :-)
What gas/oil mix are you using? The sludge you are seeing is unburned oil.

Check your plugs to see how the engine is running. These engines are virtually bomb proof and well worth spending a few bucks on providing they aren't totally worn out or corroded beyond redemption
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard