Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2017, 16:54   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Wichard snap shackles corrosion

Our Wichard shackles/snap shackles also look the worse for wear after 3 years being exposed to sun and salt but it surface corrosion or staining rather than inherent corrosion i.e. pitting, etc. However, Im still surprised as Wichard generally has a good industry name for providing top quality products (also seen in their price) and yet many of my no-name brand 316 shackles are gleaming after same amount of years.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 17:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Our Wichard shackles/snap shackles also look the worse for wear after 3 years being exposed to sun and salt but it surface corrosion or staining rather than inherent corrosion i.e. pitting, etc. However, Im still surprised as Wichard generally has a good industry name for providing top quality products (also seen in their price) and yet many of my no-name brand 316 shackles are gleaming after same amount of years.
316 is something like 1/5- 1/4 the strength of 17-4.... Heat treated 17-4 is amazing... They used to use it for bolts in the landing gear of jets, not sure anymore...
17-4 ph can have a yield strength as high as 200,000 psi! Yield strength is where it bends not where it breaks! 316 is likely 35,000-40,000 in the most non corrosive configuration IIRC.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 17:04   #18

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post

We have noticed over the past 20 years that all of our Wichard stuff shows severe rusting compared to other manufacturers. The fold down pad eyes which we love, snap shackles, regular SS shackles all rust way more than other brands.

I am not surprised by the photos.

Chuck
Jacaranda
Huahine, French Polynesia
Old 28-05-2017, 05:59   #19

Boat: PT-11

The Wichard stuff on my boat is usually pretty good.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 06:23   #20

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
316 is something like 1/5- 1/4 the strength of 17-4.... Heat treated 17-4 is amazing... They used to use it for bolts in the landing gear of jets, not sure anymore...
17-4 ph can have a yield strength as high as 200,000 psi! Yield strength is where it bends not where it breaks! 316 is likely 35,000-40,000 in the most non corrosive configuration IIRC.
I'll take strong over pretty any day.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:57   #21

Boat: no boat any more

...their HR (high resistance) stuff is less corrosion resistant (they say so themselves)
(&btw: on 2rtw Wichard stuff was among the very few pieces of equipment that I naver had to think about, the only other coming to mind being my Seiko quartz navigation watch
Old 02-06-2017, 04:02   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I was using some Wichard snap hooks in an applicaton that put them underwater for several days at times, and they developed some visible rusty crevices. Not Wichard's fault: stainless is an inferior metal for that use. So I try to avoid stainless in very wet places. I have other Wichard kit high up the mast, and it's shiny as the day I bought it.

I've seen, often, the rust on the folding padeyes--not only on the Wichard high-test, but on Harken ones too. Perhaps titanium padeyes with Ti bolts are the way to go?

But as far as the OP's shackles go, I think he needs to go soft shackle, and never worry about corrosion again.

Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion