Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 17:13   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
Where do you buy your line?

We have a lot of line needs this year. Traveler lines (43’ x2) , mainsheet (90’), reef lines (?’) and a new anchor bridle as well (3 strand twist of 25’x2)

Any recommendations on vendors? Preferably one that will place eye spices on all four ends of the bridle lines.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 17:28   #2

Re: Where do you buy your line?

Cajun Trading- (Nova Scotia). I have bought many pieces of line from him over last 20 years. His prices include freight (to US). I buy my braided mooring lines from him usually. He can make them up any way you want. With chafe guards or not, stainless steel thimbles ,etc. I just replaced my genoa sheets (9/16) 70 ft each. He is same town in Nova Scotia as rope manufacturer Novatec Co.in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 17:51   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

Online Rope Store, www.onlineropestore.com
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 19:49   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
Cajun Trading- (Nova Scotia). I have bought many pieces of line from him over last 20 years.
Incidentally, here's a piece of trivia for you. 'Cajun' is diminutive for 'Acadian'.

Way back when the Canadian Maritimes were a French colony, the part that's now Nova Scotia was named L'Acadie--that is, Acadia. The British came through and shot up the French, taking over their New World and renaming that part Nova Scotia (New Scotland).

A few years later there was an unfortunate disturbance, where a couple of British officials were killed and the local French citizens were blamed. Whereupon the British banished the Acadians, loading them all on ships and transporting them to the swamps of Louisiana where, as we know, they prospered.

And that's why the old-timers and culture in Louisiana and New Orleans are Cajuns (Acadians).
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 08:49   #5

Boat: Hunter 46

Generally at my local chandlery, West Marine, OR Defender.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 08:59   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

If you want to have the vendor put splices in talk with them before placing the order. Many are way backed up right now. Defender has been saying 2+ weeks extra for splicing service.

Defender is my go to for consistently low pricing, though I usually shop around to make sure. Finding the line you want on sale somewhere can make a big difference.

Doing eye splices in 3 strand is not difficult if having a vendor do it for you doesn't work out. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube, etc.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 09:14   #7

Boat: Union 36

Maple Leaf Ropes in Ontario, Canada has great product lines, great prices and fast response. I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.

https://www.mapleleafropes.com/
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 09:22   #8

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

I've had good luck buying from an outfit called castobargains on eBay. They're in Stratham, GA, and they have a local store, but they do sell on eBay.
Mostly name-brand stuff - nylon, dacron and dyneema , in odd lengths - I assume they get ends and leftovers. It might be hard to get a really long halyard, but stuff like dock lines, reefing lines, etc. should be OK. AFAIK, they don't do splicing (but you were gonna do your own anyway, right? )
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 12:07   #9

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

Onboard Rigging. Anthony has been exceptionally helpful and reasonable.
https://onboardrigging.com/
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 12:17   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you can't get them spliced but Amazon sells nylon and polyester lines under the name of Yacht Braid.
Old 15-06-2021, 12:37   #11

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
Incidentally, here's a piece of trivia for you. 'Cajun' is diminutive for 'Acadian'.

Way back when the Canadian Maritimes were a French colony, the part that's now Nova Scotia was named L'Acadie--that is, Acadia. The British came through and shot up the French, taking over their New World and renaming that part Nova Scotia (New Scotland).

A few years later there was an unfortunate disturbance, where a couple of British officials were killed and the local French citizens were blamed. Whereupon the British banished the Acadians, loading them all on ships and transporting them to the swamps of Louisiana where, as we know, they prospered.

And that's why the old-timers and culture in Louisiana and New Orleans are Cajuns (Acadians).
They apparently came up the wrong river when they first arrived but liked what they saw and stayed. New Orleans was still a French territory at the time. A lot of the Acadians migrated to Maine after the US war of independence.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 12:37   #12

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Try Miami Cordage at 305 636 3000, speak to Jason Hoffman. They have recently supplied me with Dyneema line, but they also make all types, including normal double braided. Their prices will astonish you, they blow West Marine and Defender away.
Just tell them Roger, from Orlando, recommended them.
Old 15-06-2021, 12:37   #13

Boat: Sabre 34II

I recently bought the entire running rigging from defender when they were running a sale, looked at other online vendors and found Defender’s price to be lower.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 13:37   #14

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
We have a lot of line needs this year. Traveler lines (43’ x2) , mainsheet (90’), reef lines (?’) and a new anchor bridle as well (3 strand twist of 25’x2)

Any recommendations on vendors? Preferably one that will place eye spices on all four ends of the bridle lines.
FWIW: Eye splices in 3 strand nylon are essentially the easiest splices to do. watch a few vids. Hard to go wrong - just try one on an old piece of line. no special tools -1st one will take 20 minutes, then easier and faster Really!
Old 15-06-2021, 13:55   #15

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

old line is hard to splice well
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote