Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 10:10   #1

Boat: 2020 Lagoon 46' Catamaran
Question Trouble with Halyard chafing on new Lagoon 46

I am having trouble with my halyard chafing at the top of the mast on my 2020 Lagoon 46 catamaran.

The boat came with a 2:1 Halyard system, and it chafed about halfway through in about 10 days of sailing. I just replaced it with a 1:1 Halyard with Dyneema rope, and I am seeing the outside of the halyard chafing about 2 feet away from the top of the sail after 2 days of sailing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this and what I should do to fix the problem?

Here is a picture of the new halyard in the chafe area:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xFqUMbZ3gnKFhzLCA

GregGarner
GregGarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:09   #2

Re: Trouble with Halyard chafing on new Lagoon 46

Hi Greg - Did you ever get an answer to your post about main halyard chafing near the top of the mast? I am experiencing the same thing on a new L450S. The chafe point is about 3’ down from the point where the halyard is fixed to the top of the mast. Could it be that the sharp corners of the aluminum housing on either side of the halyard sheave cuts into the halyard when on a broad reach?
mcdume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:35   #3

We use a dynema chafe sleeve for wear areas as you described. Fairly easy to install yourself. We have them on reef lines and halyards.

https://jimmygreen.com/anti-chafe-rope-protection/77938-marlow-dyneema-chafe-sleeve

There are many places to order and lots of YouTube videos on how to install.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:41   #4
cruiser

I have the same problem with mine. lagoon 400, 2012. If I run the full main, it chafes about three feet from the top. By my calculations and estimations, with a 2:1 halyard, it puts the chafe point somewhere about a foot or so down inside the mast.

Interestingly enough, if I have a reef in the main, there is no chafe

My suspicion is that when the halyard is pulled taut on a full sail, how it goes over the top of the chiv and down inside the mast causes some chafe on something inside. No way to tell until the mast is down. I think that one reef in the main gives just enough spring to not rub on the spot.

Just my guess, but it’s something inside the mast

It drives me crazy so any solutions are welcome.
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:37   #5

Boat: 2020 Lagoon 46' Catamaran

My rigger finally figured out that the dyneema attached to the top of the sail was not the correct length. Look in the lagoon owners/operator manual and it shows a diagram. If the dyneema is not the exact correct length it allows the halyard to have too much angle when the sail is full up, this causing the chafing.
GregGarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:52   #6
cruiser

I just looked in the manual and it says the dyneema headsail tackle was adjusted by a sailmaker for a new sail. And that lashing adjustments can be made as the sail ages. It does not give any indication of the required length and as the lashing was replaced in the last year no idea what it should be.

Did your rigger adjust it tighter or looser? My thought is tighter as the sail ages but looser would likely prevent chafe on the halyard.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:54   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

If it's a 2020 model and it's under warranty, I'd definitely report it and get it fixed ASAP.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:21   #8

B A G G Y W R I N K L E
Catalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:04   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Has anyone tried Yale Maxijacket? I have not, but it seems to get good reviews from Practical Sailor.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:48   #10

Boat: Lagoon 46

L46 owner here. I have heard the reports of the chaffing but I may be mistaken as to where everyone was having it occur. My first impression was that it was occurring at the very top and was likely due to sharp inner edges of the mast head casting chaffing the halyard when the sail was eased out for downwind/broad reach. This posting indicates that it is further down, well away from that casting where the halyard would be inside the mast when the sail is fully raised. Please confirm. Thanks.
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:48   #11
cruiser

On ours, it is definitely inside the mast. About a foot to two feet down from the top
Old 04-02-2021, 15:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
We use a dynema chafe sleeve for wear areas as you described. Fairly easy to install yourself. We have them on reef lines and halyards.

https://jimmygreen.com/anti-chafe-ro...a-chafe-sleeve

There are many places to order and lots of YouTube videos on how to install.
I don’t think a chafe sleeve will work for me because the chafe spot on the halyard needs to go into the sheave at the top of the mast.
mcdume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 16:59   #13

The dynema sleeves don't add to much bulk to a line. I guess you would have to sew one in to find out if there is clearance. Possibly ask your rigger for a recommendation about it? I'm not familiar with the truck on catamarans.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, lagoon