Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 00:41   #1

The right rope for outhaul?

I know nothing about ropes, so don't feel bad about talking down to me about this ...

I put this rope on the outhaul of 40ft catamaran. The previous outhaul had snapped and I got the boat without one. It looks similar to the other lines used for the reef outhauls. But on our first sale it creeked and seemed to be quite elastic. Is it the right type of rope to use?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210226_103532.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	233356
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 03:05   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: The right rope for outhaul?

The outhaul is one of the most underused sail controls on a catamaran. Because there is no heal the outhaul is an essential component in achieving the correct sail shape.

Creaking ?? Is this the actual line or the fittings? How is the clew attached to the boom slug or strop? Depending on the route the outhaul can also put considerable strain on the gooseneck (result creaking). It also passes around sheaves at the end of the boom (creaking). Make sure all the fittings are free to move and properly lubricated. If the outhaul is poorly routed it may result in changes in tension as the boom moves across the boat.

Using hitech Spectra or Dyneema for the outhaul can result in damage if suitable care is not exercised. For most purposes the line should be the same size and type as the reefing lines, some elasticity is good as it will prevent shock loading and possible damage to fittings and the sail.

Remember it is an "adjustable" control line so should not need to winched so hard that is breaks.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 03:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Old lines will creak sometimes--and it looks like that line has at least seen plenty of sun. If it felt stretchy, it's probably polyester double braid, which is the most common boating line, especially in non-performance-oriented boats.
If it's stretching too much, get a dyneema-cored rope--most of the boats I service have that for both outhaul and reef lines. You can drop a size or two and it'll still be stronger.
Old 26-02-2021, 04:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Not knowing the type of boat makes this impossible to answer. Is it a 36’ PDQ or a 60’ Catana? I would start by looking at the manufacturers website to see what they recommend.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 04:43   #5

I guess that line is this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gleistein.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	233358

https://www.svb24.com/en/gleistein-s....html#fullSize

If so, then it is a reasonably low end polyester double braid - which means it is on the stretch end of available control lines. As Benz notes, it also looks like it has seen some UV.

The creaking could either be coming directly from the rope, or from the sheaves moving under load as the rope stretches back and forth, or both.

You don't say what sort of 40' cat . . . but a 40' cat could well have quite high loads on outhaul (a biggish mainsail with high righting moment) and might well want something significantly less stretchy than that line.

There would be a whole range of possibilities from simply better polyester double braid to Dyneema cored line. What to pick in that range would depend on your sailing aspirations and your wallet.

You might also want to take a look at the sheaves - make sure axles/bearings are clean and no slop.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 09:11   #6

Boat: Casacde 36

Andypag, that appears to be double braid, typically referred to as 'yacht-braid'. You don't say how big a boat but, assuming its about the right size for that rig, I'd be inclined to use something like Staset-X. It's not as difficult to work with (and significantly cheaper ) as some of the high tech lines, nor is it as nice to handle as double braid, but it's a lot less elastic than what you currently have. I've used it on my old boat for the past 6 years.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 09:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Sorry missed 40’ cat.

Get something dyneema cored to avoid stretch. Size it based on manufacturers specs.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 26-02-2021, 10:25   #8

Hi,
We are just setting a new outhaul line (and reef lines) on a Bahia 46.

The boat came with a Polyester Double Braid line (12mm); we are changing it for a
Premium Ropes DX Performance - 10 mm (3/8 in) Dyneema SK38 core / Polyester cover

Option 2 is to go with S-Cup Performance which is a Dyneema SK78 with a Polyester cover.

The following is a chart of Working Loads for each line and Diameter.

Size / Kgs / Lbs

Typical Polyester Double Braid 10 mm 2660 / 5860
Typical Polyester Double Braid 12mm 3800 / 8380

DX Performance (Cruising) 10mm 3500 / 7720
DX Performance (Cruising) 12mm 4900 / 10800

S-Cup (Performance Cruise) 10mm 5100 / 11240
S-Cup (Performance Cruise) 12mm 7250 / 15980

Personally, I prefer to go with a stronger line and smaller diameter than the other way, as the lines will run better through sheaves. Setting your outhaul (inside the boom) as a 2:1 system helps by reducing the loads on the line.

You can check all data and options here: Performance Cruising Lines

Hope this helps.

Juan
juanmauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 10:32   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

A bit off topic and I will probably sound pedanticBut the op kind of asked for info so: You don't need to know anything about rope because there's almost none on a yacht! It's all just "Line". Unfortunately there is probably as much to know about line as there is about rope so that's not really a win. Line is only rope when it is on its spool.

Of course every rule has its exceptions. Off the top of my head I can think of only 3 ropes likely to be found on a modern yacht:a bolt rope, a bucket rope, and a bell rope.

Thankfully that about exhausts my knowledge
of "line". My apologies.

Ed
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 11:07   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Not knowing the type of boat makes this impossible to answer. Is it a 36’ PDQ or a 60’ Catana? I would start by looking at the manufacturers website to see what they recommend.
Com on Snore. I suggest you re-read the original question. He already said he has a 49 ft Cat.

Andrew
Old 26-02-2021, 11:09   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

OK, Snore ( see you were not sleeping all the time !) I noted yr post #7 so i retract my comment.
Andrew
Old 26-02-2021, 11:11   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Com on Snore. I suggest you re-read the original question. He already said he has a 49 ft Cat.

Andrew

Yes and in a subsequent post I apologized and recommended dyneema core.

I may not be perfect —- but the only one close to my level is Mary Poppins!!
Old 26-02-2021, 11:36   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post

Andrew
Aw, come on Salty. I suggest that YOU re-read the OP... where he says it is a 40 (not 49) foot cat!

And I'd add my recco for a dyneema (or Spectra if that is what the local vendors call it) core, somewhere around 10 mm diameter for the replacement.

Jim
Old 26-02-2021, 11:47   #14

I have at least one coil of rope on my boat that has not yet gained the status of line. It sits in a locker awaiting use...
auwekamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 14:35   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_ed View Post
A bit off topic and I will probably sound pedanticBut the op kind of asked for info so: You don't need to know anything about rope because there's almost none on a yacht! It's all just "Line". Unfortunately there is probably as much to know about line as there is about rope so that's not really a win. Line is only rope when it is on its spool.
You don't sound pedantic so much as completely wrong.

You want pedantic? Ok:

You need to know a lot about rope, since you need to select the correct type to use for your lines (note the plural - it's "a line" [singular] or "lines" [plural]. "line" is not a generic term in the same way that "rope" is - except when fishing )

There's lots of rope on my boat. Everything in the "rope locker" which doesn't currently have a specific purpose is either rope or "small stuff". It only becomes a line (note the "a") when it is used for a specific purpose. And the rope in the locker includes old, replaced lines (note the "s") that have been kept for re-purposing, not just new rope on a spool.

The OP is asking whether the type of rope he is using is appropriate for this particualr line.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outhaul, rope