Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 03:43   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Tenara thread

Ive got some projects that finally look like they shall start. Can anyone advise a good source to get Tenara thread from and that can post internationally? Many thanks.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 04:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Tenara thread

KDB Holdings (Pvt.) Ltd.
PO Box 2500
Harare Zimbabwe
+263 4 75 89 21
http://www.amann.com

https://www.gore.com/products/sewing...s/where-to-buy

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 04:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Thanks Gord, I used the same link whilst I was home and when I tried the local distributor I was advised there was a three month wait - presumably whilst they ordered the materials themselves - and the guide cost was US$325 per spool plus tax!
I have this sneaking suspicion I could get it elsewhere; quicker and cheaper. I am hoping some people know of a good source and whom could post internationally.
I want some for my own projects and a friend wants to do a massive amount of restitching on his boat.
Many thanks, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
KDB Holdings (Pvt.) Ltd.
PO Box 2500
Harare Zimbabwe
+263 4 75 89 21
AMANN

https://www.gore.com/products/sewing...s/where-to-buy
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 05:22   #4

Boat: TBA

It is available at Amazon in clear for 119 +4.99 postage to anywhere also try Sailrite sewing machines they recommend it for use so they will have a contact in your area. otherwise i would try the local sunbrella type users to see if they have some you could buy.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 09:00   #5

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
It is available at Amazon in clear for 119 +4.99 postage to anywhere also try Sailrite sewing machines they recommend it for use so they will have a contact in your area. otherwise i would try the local sunbrella type users to see if they have some you could buy.
I'll second this opinion. I think Sailrite has a lot of experience shipping all over world. At least they claim to and I haven't seen otherwise.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 09:30   #6

Boat: Flicka

PTEF thread on ebay.
I'm assuming it is military surplus. I haven't used this brand so don't know how it sews. You may be taking a chance. It's stated as a 2ply 2400denier (@v138), twist? The Tenera Gortex brand to me has always seemed too expensive and more challenging to use(monofil). I have been using the Coats HeliosP, which in the past was very inexpensive until it became popular. It is also 2ply and has a coating making it sew easily.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/GUDEBROD-PTFE-SEWING-THREAD-WHITE-2400-DENIER-2-PLY-1500-YDS-NEW-/231940319295?nav=SEARCH
boatnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 14:32   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Bulawayo,

Wherever you are, you might check with sailmakers or trimmers (the folks who make soft dodgers, etc.). We bought some through a sailmaker recently. I would have tried Amazon, but the shipping address that we don't have is a problem.....

By the way, I chose black, but on thinking about it, perhaps clear is the best way to go. The black goes invisible against black webbing, and so would the clear, but any mistakes you might make wouldn't have to be removed, necessarily, if in clear. I have also used white Tenara, and for our colors, I like the black better. Sapient Sue (here on CF) has been using the clear for a while, and thinks it is best.

By the way, I like working with it, and it feels great to know I won't have to be re-sewing in 4 years, as I had to with V-92 dacron.

Ann