Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 07:20   #16

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Super Sailmakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Dunno, I'll ask. I told them not to offer me any more options and just go with the best for everything. I'm sure Axl has a well thought out rationale for his approach, the guy's severely OCD. These sails were bid as triple stitched, like many. But when Axl built them, he went to quadruple stitched at no extra charge. Just a master craftsman getting carried away with his work. I love it!

Was your sail maker Super SailMakers or someone else? It's not clear to me from your posts.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 07:26   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Was your sail maker Super SailMakers or someone else? It's not clear to me from your posts.

Sorry, no. Schattauer Bros. I think they are booked for the next couple of years and they are far from cheap.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 20:09   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

You only normally see seams sewn with regular zig zag when the sailmaker doesn't have a big capacity 3 step zig zag machine. This is also the reason why it is 4 rows, as if they used 3 step zig zag only 3 rows would be required.

Regular zig zag is normally used for UV strips because it is much faster to un-pick to replace the UV strip.

Triple stitched seams is a regular request by cruisers although in a lot of cases only 2 rows are required, it depends on the sail size and type of boat. It is about eliminating creep in the seam not about the life of the seam. If the thread is badly UV damaged it is going to let go, doesn't really matter if its 2 rows or 3.

Colored thread is a good idea as you can more easily notice when the thread is damaged or destroyed by UV
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 17:00   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

So Captain Bill, what have you learned, I see that you asked about Super Sails and got opinions about alot of other sail makers. I like you, am looking for quality at a fair price. I would also like to know how Super Sails have performed for our readers. I am about to place an order for new sails.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:02   #20

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Try national sail supply sails are in Florida and they are dealers for Rolly Tasker Sails Rolly Tasker Sails, International Sailmakers, Cruising Sails, Racing Sails, Mast and Rigging, Sailing Accessories
I purchased a whole suit of sails from them. Arrived down here in St Thomas in 3 weeks. Beautiful craftsmanship and they use the best cloth avaliable.
Highly recommended.
Guarantee you will be presently surprised by the price.
Old 18-06-2013, 18:14   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
So Captain Bill, what have you learned, I see that you asked about Super Sails and got opinions about alot of other sail makers. I like you, am looking for quality at a fair price. I would also like to know how Super Sails have performed for our readers. I am about to place an order for new sails.
I actually decided to go with another loft. They did have a good price, but their rep quoted a sailcloth, which according to the manufacturer was not appropriate for a boat as large as mine, but for a 37-41 foot boat. Everything that I've read suggests that for a cat one should get one size heavier than for a mono so accordingly I should have been quoted two steps heavier than what I was quoted. When I questioned the weight the rep assured me that they had quoted the appropriate weight. Well according to the manufacturer's application chart it was too light for a 44 foot monohull, let alone a 44 foot cat. Needless to say the rep did not inspire confidence. Another loft did propose the same sail cloth, but two levels heavier than their quote. I'll end up paying more, but at least I'll have confidence in the product.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:32   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Super Sailmakers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi35 View Post
Or could it be the 5,000 miles we have sailed with it? Yes, I know about that thread, thanks!
That is not a good endorsement.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote