Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 08:09   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Stripping lifelines

We don't know how old the plastic coated lifelines on our new to us boat are and the plastic was cracked with rust seeping through. As a compromise between leaving them be and replacing them, we decided to strip off the plastic and inspect them. Lo and behold, they are in great shape and we will be keeping them!

Is there anything we need to do to the stanchions to prepare them for the smaller diameter? Should we add a bushing?

While I am asking questions, does anyone have any recommendations for getting the rest of the plastic off? My current rate seems to be just under one foot per hour, with four 15 foot lines that need stripped.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 11:11   #2

Re: Stripping lifelines

I knew I should have put something about anchors, guns and production boats in the titled
Old 13-01-2015, 11:32   #3

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
I knew I should have put something about anchors, guns and production boats in the titled
Good one!

As to stripping the wire, haven't a clue!
Old 13-01-2015, 12:04   #4

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Split the plastic back a few inches with a knife. Grab it with pliers and peel it off. Quite simple.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 12:07   #5

Take a look see at the cable stripper here: Blade Guide Retainer Stripper (N-2878B)

Probably less than $25 USD.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 12:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench'sCaptain View Post
Split the plastic back a few inches with a knife. Grab it with pliers and peel it off. Quite simple.
Yeah, it isn't working out like that. More like, split it an inch or so, peel to that point, split another inch or so... The plastic is molded to the SS wire, so you can't get a knife under it all and if I try to just pull, it breaks off every few inches.
Old 13-01-2015, 12:28   #7

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Yeah, it isn't working out like that. More like, split it an inch or so, peel to that point, split another inch or so... The plastic is molded to the SS wire, so you can't get a knife under it all and if I try to just pull, it breaks off every few inches.

That's pretty much the drill, short of getting a torch and burning it off...it's one of those SOL jobs no matter what.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 12:32   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Greenhand,

Oh, gosh, what a grizzly job. The reason it won't peel is because it's old and the plasticizers have come out.

If you can afford it, make the changeover to dyneema lifelines now, or replace with new bare wire. If you go with the dyneema (as we have), you create eye splices (with thimbles), then lash with light line to the termination points, so you don't have to have the wire swaged.
Old 13-01-2015, 12:39   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I guess we are WAY Past, " It ain't supposed to come off"
Old 13-01-2015, 12:56   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I can do a 9metre approx line in about 5 mins. I take them off the boat, Laythem on a flat workbench and run a Stanley knife (Box Cutter in the USA) down them, just cutting the plastic, not trying to cut underneath it and then peel off. Oldest lines have been about 7 years.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 13:08   #11

If yer certain the wires good to go in spite of the plastic deterioration, why waste time & energy removing the plastic? Sorta like varnishing, no?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 14:07   #12

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Greenhand,
We did our lifelines 2 years ago. If the covering is brittle(which it usually is), use a heat gun to soften the surface and a Stanley knife to do the stripping. There is no problem if the old plastic turns a dark brown since it will make the job easier. After stripping the wire, I used a stainless toothbrush with PB Blaster to remove all the extra bits(not many) and then bent the wire in a loop as I cleaned it to remove any surface rust. After cleaning, I mounted them on the stanchions, tightened, and cleaned the tightened wire with the brush and PB. They are perfect and even the swages are clean. Be careful you don't put any knicks in the wire when you are scraping/stripping as "meathooks" could develop. There is no need for an additional bushing. I did this as a Winter project. Every year thereafter, I give the wire another good cleaning with the wire brush and PB. Hope this helps. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 13-01-2015, 14:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
If yer certain the wires good to go in spite of the plastic deterioration, why waste time & energy removing the plastic? Sorta like varnishing, no?
We had to strip off some of it to inspect the wires, so it is more like removing the varnish so that the wood wears evenly!

Thanks for the advice, I will see what I can do with it.
Old 13-01-2015, 14:57   #14

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
To save about $500-$600.(new wire and swageless fittings) on my boat once the underlaying wire becomes rusted.
Old 13-01-2015, 15:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Greenhand,

Oh, gosh, what a grizzly job. The reason it won't peel is because it's old and the plasticizers have come out.

If you can afford it, make the changeover to dyneema lifelines now, or replace with new bare wire. If you go with the dyneema (as we have), you create eye splices (with thimbles), then lash with light line to the termination points, so you don't have to have the wire swaged.
The dyneema/ new SS debate was what led us to look further into what we have. When I started on this path, I assumed I would strip a couple of feet to prove to my partner that we needed new lines, so no one was more surprised than I to see what great shape they were in. We plan on having this boat for a very long time, so the more life we can safely get out of the current lifelines, the better.

The heat gun (Vidal Sassoon model 1600) is making the job much more tolerable. I am taking a break because I finished a line and my hands were cramping, not out of frustration

Tags
lifelines