Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 06:26   #1

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Stormjib size

Hi there,

I'm in the market for a second-hand stormjib. A local boat-wrecker has got dozens in stock that have never been used, and I'm looking to pick one up for my detachable cutter-stay.

The idea is to have this jib ready when sailing on is no longer and option ie, when heaving-to or laying behind a drogue.

What do I need to pay special attention to? What size would you suggest for my heavy, steel 29ft sloop?

Needless to say of-course that the sailmaker is going to have a good look at it to reinforce/fix any weaknesses in the sail before I set off.
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:43   #2

Boat: Vd Stadt 34
Re: Stormjib size

On my 34ft steel cutter the stormjib is 7m². This is also the size the plans specify.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:03   #3

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic

Sounds like the range I was thinking in, 4-5m² for my 29ft steel sloop.

Apart from the area, will all stormjibs be of the same type/weight material with the same cut?
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

In answer to your latest question, no. Storm jibs are custom made for specific boats and their weight and material are often specified by the owner, consulting with their sailmaker. One owner may want a high cut sail to keep it from catching waves. Another may want a low cut sail to keep the center of effort low. One may want the sail to last for fifty years. Another has to have it to enter a race (like Bermuda) and if it lasts three storms, before it needs replacing, he's fine with it. A heavier boat might go with a bigger sail than a lighter boat. Your best bet, if you are not having one custom-made, might be to try out several from the available inventory in your foretriangle. (Hoisting them to see how they fit and if the jib leads you already have will work.) If the seller has dozens, he may even allow you to go sailing with several likely prospects, so you can see how the boat balances. ) In a situation where you need a storm jib, you want it to work, and not create nasty surprises.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, size